Search Unity

Oculus Rift local play suggestion for VR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by BokuDev, Jul 15, 2015.

1. BokuDev

BokuDev

Why local VR play?
    There are surprisingly a lot of VR indie dev's out there trying to pull off asymmetrical gameplay with an Oculus Rift or HMD. These types of games are generally where 1-4 Players on the Monitor/TV play against the HMD VR 5th player. The Sony PS4 Morphsies HMD already does this where 4 PS4 controllers are connected to the PS4 and played on the TV while the HMD is plugged in as well, but the 5th player is in VR creating these crazy forms of gameplay.

An example:

Think of an example where the 4 players are running around a maze like city block and the VR player is in a cop car trying to drive around and nag them in first person VR while the robbers are in a top down view on the TV.

Background:

Back before the Unity 5 VR integration Indie dev's have been trying to make games where an Oculus Rift HMD can be plugged into their PC and the other player holding a controller but playing on an extended monitor using some "Hack Arounds" you could call it. Basically this hack around was forcing Unity to support dual or even triple monitor setups at any resolution to allow one player to be on monitor 3, (the second monitor collected to your PC sitting on your desk), and Monitor 2 being your HMD (as monitor one on your desk is showing what the HMD player is seeing like normally how VR games work). This hack around sucks in the long run as you could only program it to work with about 720p resolution (So only a DK1 really works with it) and the game is forced to be ran in windowed mode as well.

My Suggestion:

1 VR player VS 1-4 TV/Monitor Players:
    That was a pretty difficult hack, and seeing at E3 SONY PS4 VR 2015 stuff lots of prototype games and demos showing off this type of gameplay and seeing no one else on both Oculus and Unity forums talk about this I felt the need to create this thread to raise awareness that this could be a great Unity VR feature to natively support 2 cameras in a unity scene, and have them in the inspector have options for this kind of Oculus Rift/HMD local asymmetrical gameplay. Even having one Camera be the "2D camera" which is the camera that will show on TV/Monitor, and then having the "VR camera" that will ONLY show in the HMD's Display) could work so the players not in VR can't even see what the VR player is looking at could work as well.

2 HMD Camera's in one scene for VR player One, and VR player Two:
    This is something iv never seen anyone do yet but this would be fantastic for gamers out there to have one awesome super fantastical PC with a 980ti to buy two Oculus Rifts or Two HMD's in general and plug them both into one machine and play games that support two VR camera in one scene.

Why I want this?:
    I'm not demanding this from the Unity Team, but I know this could open up to not only my own crazy idea's of getting VR to be great and fun in the living room or playing with a buddy, but great for other developers to adopt into VR with their own ideas. I'm willing to bet entire VR games could be created with the notion of Local VR co-op working together bla bla stuff. I understand there is online networking, but this opens up consumer benefits as well like using One machine, and can remove hassle of some developers that want to do quick multiplayer VR and not go through the head ache at least in the beginning of development with their VR projects.

Making my own VR game "Dream Knights VR" a Zelda-like RPG adventure platformer Which you can check out the works in progress here:

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24787

Working on this really makes me want to have a 2nd local co-op buddy being another Knight or whatever that can play ether in VR as well, or play in the monitor.

2. stevevr

stevevr

That's a very well thought out concept, I really love the idea of the players not in VR being unable to see what the VR player is looking at. By the way I really enjoyed reading all your updates for your new VR game!

BokuDev likes this.
  3. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

For a 2d view on the main screen: We have been investigating this -- many of our platforms are supporting some form of "multi-view", a standard way of doing this in unity cross platform is being worked on now. This scenario is planned to be supported. I don't have a timeline, but will update when we know more.

BokuDev likes this.
  4. BokuDev

BokuDev

Sounds fantastic to know this is planned to be supported! With the Wii-U having support for Unity it would make sense for multiple views into a game with multiple cameras (though be even better for VR/OculusRift) since the gamepad is a separate view. Thank you so much for letting us know!