Search Unity

Oculus PC SDK 1.7.0 - is it now useless?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Fattie, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Fattie

Fattie

Nowadays I just

- get a windows10 PC
    - plug in an Oculus rift
    - download the stupid OculusHome app
    - open Unity, make an Oculus game
    - Click "Build" and save "game" to the desktop
    - double click on "game" and it runs (of course, launching the stupid OculusHome app)

remember the old "Oculus SDK for Windows" ?

In fact is there any reason at all these days to bother downloading and using the "Oculus SDK for Windows"?

What's the deal on that?

2. elbows

elbows

It's mostly for people who aren't using a game engine with support already written in. Or for the likes of Unity themselves to add support to Unity.

Users of engines such as Unity are going to be more interested in the downloads that are in the Engine Integration section of the oculus dev site download page.

SweetJV likes this.
  3. Fattie

Fattie

Thanks, so straightforward question,

if I AM DEVELOPING WITH Unity3D, the simple fact is I DO NOT NEED (and indeed .... should NOT GET) that download. Correct?

Another example of Unity's attitude to doco. "Who gives a F***?"

Thank goodness for knowledgeable forum users :/

4. JDMulti

JDMulti

So Yes, atm you need it to get your app accepted. For example, if you create an app with the latest Unity3D version, you don't have a volume bar by default. I don't know if this is intended within unity, but Oculus is rejecting apps without it. Same for internet connection message, if you are online or offline. If you don't have it, you get rejected.

So at this point these utilities are useful, because they contain those scripts to have a volume bar and such.
    Personally I use Unity's default VR camera setup and everything else that is missing, I get it from the Oculus Utilities.

It's really unclear up to what point Unity supports the Oculus integration. Because I think a default volume and internet connection thing should be a default script included but override able to customize. Because with the current state by just enabling VR, Oculus isn't going to accept your creation.

Fattie likes this.
  5. Fattie

Fattie

Hey @JDMulti - thanks a lot for that info, good one.

Just FWIW we only develop private, kiosk, industrial etc. VR apps - so no need to worry about the Oculus store.

(OTHER THAN that "Oculus store widgets convenience" aspect - it does seem to be the case you DO NOT especially need to introduce the tools: we've found everything goes great without it, it seems anyway.)

Thanks again man!

6. JDMulti

JDMulti

For thermal control, you need Oculus Utilities as well to acces CPU and GPU levels. All those things come in play when submitting to the Oculus Store. But if you do not submit to store and don't need further control over the GearVR / Mobile device in it or any examples, there is no need for those Utilities.

Fattie likes this.