Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ObjectMaster for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ryanmillerca, Jun 22, 2015.

1. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Introduction

Hey everyone! I'm Ryan Miller and I want to share my plugin 'Object Master' with you. Object Master is a set of extremely handy editor tools that will make you work with objects more quickly and efficiently.

Like you, I've spent a lot of time over the years wishing Unity was better at X, or was able to do Y, or that I could just do Z in a single step. This plugin is the combination of tools written to address those problems.

About the Plugin

ObjectMaster provides you with many tools that make working with objects in Unity faster and easier. It allows you to manipulate objects in Unity in new, productivity increasing ways.

ObjectMaster is very lightweight, and will not conflict with any other plugins/assets in your project. Because it is an authoring tool and not a run time tool, it is platform agnostic, and will work equally well on Mobile, Desktop, Console, WebGL, etc.

This is not a plugin that punishes you for not using it, nor does it require you to completely change the way you use Unity. It simply feels like an upgrade to the tools that Unity already includes, that offers you more control and mastery over the way you interact with scene objects.

What does it do?

ObjectMaster can be accessed two ways; from the Edit > ObjectMaster menu, or via the Window > ObjectMaster toolbar (pictured further down).

You can read the documentation to see a comprehensive explanation of all the tools in the kit. A few of the more useful tools are...

Group
    Somehow missing from Unity, you can now press CTRL+G / CMD+G to group a selection.

Snap Selection
    With one button/menu command, you can snap a selection of game objects to whole number positions, whole number scale, or 45 degree rotations.

Find and Replace Names
    Use this to to a search + replace for game object names in your scene and avoid wasting time renaming en mass.

More powerful Copy and Paste
    Copy and Paste with selected attributes. Do you want to copy just the local position of one object to another? No problem. Do you want to copy the world position of an object in a group to another object not in a group? No problem! You can also copy/paste just the rotation or just the scale, or the entire transform. This doesn't use the system clipboard, so your saved values stick around longer.

Zero Transforms
    I used to spend a lot of time changing game object transforms to 0,0,0 position, 0,0,0 rotation and 1,1,1 scale. There's a tool for that now.

Scatter, Randomize, and Ground
    Level Designers spend a lot of time positioning objects. Unity isn't so fast at this. Dragging and dropping objects into scene view can be unpredictable. With these tools, you can scatter objects across a certain area, quickly staging an environment. You can randomize their rotation or scale to make duplicate props look more varied. You can even Ground those objects, perfectly aligning them to the collider beneath them.

Bring Near or "Reverse Find"
    Everybody knows the hotkey 'F' will zip your camera over to the selected object. Bring Near is the opposite of that; it will bring the selected object into the center of your camera view, making it faster to position objects or bring lost objects back onto the stage.

Action GIFs

Ground Tool

Rename Tool

Scatter Tool

Randomize Tool

ObjectMaster is live on the Asset Store, so please take a look and review it if you like it!

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the plugin, and I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have. Thanks for reading!

Changelog

Version 1.4
    -Supports Unity 4.6 and up
    -Simpler visuals and foldout menus
    -Simplified names/descriptions
    -Find and Replace tools added to bar
    -Some items removed from bar (still accessible in the menus)

Version 1.3
    New Features
    -Find and Replace names (with preview)
    -Find and Replace with Game Object
    -Wrap Object feature, for nesting a gameObject in an container

Fixes and Improvements
    -Better undo support
    -Edit/ObjectMaster menu sorted better
    -Local/Global change added to Edit menu
    -Warnings On/Off added to Edit menu
    -Code is now sorted into regions for easier editing
    -New visuals
    -Toolbar can now scroll
    -Set minimum size of toolbar
    -Collapsable toolbar menus

Version 1.2
    -More shapes for Scatter tool
    -Local and Global transform options
    -Find and Replace names in scene
    -Find and Replace with GameObject
    -Cleaned up the Edit > ObjectMaster menu
    -Bug fixes
    -New Documentation file

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Nice asset. Looks helpful

3. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Thanks!

4. geraldsmallbear

geraldsmallbear

Hi Ryan I need tech support. I just purchased Object Master and it won't import from the asset store, even though it does download. The import status bar pops up and vanishes. I've also contacted Unity about it. I've search and it doesn't seem to be anywhere in my project.

Unity 4.6, Windows 7.

Really looking forward to using this.

5. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Hey Gerald! Thanks buying Object Master.

Object Master is built for Unity 5 and hasn't been tested with 4.6. If you could e-mail me your invoice number, I can confirm and send you a package that should be 4.6 safe.

ryan@conjuredgraphics.com

Cheers

6. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Thanks to geraldsmallbear's request, there is now a Unity 4.6 version of ObjectMaster available. If you would like a copy, just e-mail me with your invoice number and I'll send you a package.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

ObjectMaster version 1.4 is live on the Asset Store. The look and feel is more classic Unity, and we've got new Find and Replace and Rename tools that you're going to love!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. broesby

broesby

Hi,...

It would be fantastic if the Ground function would work with physics so that you could drop a bunch of objects and then they would end up where they rolled depending on that.... For plavement if rocks on a terrain for instance :)

Jesper

9. redchurch

redchurch

When I try to use Group I get this error:

CSharp]NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ObjectMaster.Utilities.Group () (at Assets/ObjectMaster/Editor/Utilities.cs:948)
    ObjectMaster.ObjectMaster.OnGUI () (at Assets/ObjectMaster/Editor/ObjectMaster.cs:106)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

I am on Unity version 5.2.2p2

10. username132323232

username132323232

Is it possible to use ObjectMaster to distribute objects uniformly along a line? How about snapping objects together? Thanks.

11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey Ryan - thanks for the cool tool.
    Can you give some helpful advice & tips on using skinned meshes and prefabs with your tool.
    I've already purchased and I'm looking to use this to help with layout, but I didn't see any examples of using animated objects - specifically, skinned mesh objects, prefabs, and particle systems.
    Thanks -

12. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Very cool idea! If I find a way to use PhysX in the editor outside of Play mode, I'll totally add that in.

Looks like a selection issue. Group only works on selected scene objects. Are you trying to group objects in your project view? It only works in scene view.

Uniformly on a line, no. Good idea though, something like Maya's duplicate special function https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kKZy_joyqQA/maxresdefault.jpg would be good at that, and other uses. I'll look into adding something like it in a future version.

Snapping objects together in a grid can be done with regular grid tools in Unity (hold ctrl when placing) and the "Round To Int" features to get object positions back to whole numbers. If you're trying to align two freely placed objects together so they touch, have a look at the "Join Nearby Neighbors" tool.

ObjectMaster doesn't do anything special with skinned meshes or particle systems. Perhaps you could be more specific re: what you have in mind?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    username132323232 likes this.
  13. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I'm going to be populating an area that is "alive" with carnivorous plants. :eek:
    Some - of the plants will be skinned and setup as prefabs so they can be modified as needed.
    To simplify the question to my specific purpose; For placement/alignment purposes does ObjectMaster treat prefabs as single objects, especially when the prefab is a 'character' type prefab with skinned mesh?

Thanks -

14. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

ObjectMaster will treat these as regular objects, just like anything else. Should work without issue as long as your animations aren't applying root motion. If they are, just use the Wrap Object function to group the object and move the group around.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  15. gameDevi

gameDevi

no shortcut keys?

shortcut key for Generic Tools / ground is very much needed.

can you add that please?

16. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Great idea, I've put it on the list. Thanks gameDevi.

Brity likes this.
  17. wolfen231

wolfen231

Hello. Running on the latest 4.7.1f1 I recieve a few errors that are preventing the plugin for working for me.

New project with only a few things in. Here are the errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated (as I love this tool).
    -------------
    Assets/ObjectMaster/Editor/ObjectMaster.cs(22,29): error CS1061: Type `UnityEditor.EditorWindow' does not contain a definition for `titleContent' and no extension method `titleContent' of type `UnityEditor.EditorWindow' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    -------------
    Assets/ObjectMaster/Editor/ObjectMaster.cs(255,48): error CS1061: Type `ObjectMaster.FindReplaceNames' does not contain a definition for `titleContent' and no extension method `titleContent' of type `ObjectMaster.FindReplaceNames' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    -------------
    Assets/ObjectMaster/Editor/ObjectMaster.cs(266,48): error CS1061: Type `ObjectMaster.FindReplaceObjects' does not contain a definition for `titleContent' and no extension method `titleContent' of type `ObjectMaster.FindReplaceObjects' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    -------------
    Assets/ObjectMaster/Editor/ObjectMaster.cs(277,48): error CS1061: Type `ObjectMaster.RenameMaster' does not contain a definition for `titleContent' and no extension method `titleContent' of type `ObjectMaster.RenameMaster' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

-------------

Hope you can help me resolve this. Thanks!

18. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Sorry - I covered this for unity 4.6 but not 4.7! You can safely delete the lines that are causing those errors.

19. wolfen231

wolfen231

Ok. I will give that a try when I get to my desk. Thanks =)

20. wolfen231

wolfen231

Yup. That seems to have cleared the errors out. Ahh nice clean console and a cool extra tool. =)

Thanks!