Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

'Not Dead Enough'- a zombie apocalypse simulator- now in production!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by dtg108, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtg108

dtg108

I just want to say a couple of things about if the demo is released within the next month. It will be a rough draft, and the houses, characters, and zombies will be placeholders. The only place you will be able to play in is the suburbs. The guns/props, as well as some animations and gameplay, as well as terrain will be ours.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. tapanui

tapanui

cant wait :)

3. dtg108

dtg108

Glad you're excited :)

4. BoxLoXZer

BoxLoXZer

Looking forward to killing a lot of time haha. The sooner the better... or longer if it means a better product but seriously...

5. dtg108

dtg108

Hey BoxloXZer, the demo will be coming soon :D

6. BoxLoXZer

BoxLoXZer

Haha I read that.... I'm hoping that I am not busy when it does... seriously, having a real life gets in the way of ny gaming.... I mean I love being a paramedic and in the army, but really, since the zombie apocalypse has yet to take place, its all just training.... and old people with heart conditions....

7. dtg108

dtg108

8. dtg108

dtg108

9. drewradley

drewradley

I'd be happy to click on a web player to test for people, but I NEVER download them and I'm willing to bet 90% of the other people on this forum feel the same.

10. dtg108

dtg108

I''ll try to get it into a webplayer :D

11. dtg108

dtg108

Our terrain for the demo is being worked on as we speak. Pics soon :D

12. TehProX

TehProX

Seems to be developing well...Great job...Cant wait!

13. dtg108

dtg108

The team has been hard at work this week, and with some new additions, we are getting things done pretty quickly. We have just recently gotten a new programmer, and he's been a great help. We just got him today, and he's already gotten a rough draft of a custom character controller! Here is the link to try it with the new Unity webplayer: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36222025/Not Dead Enough Player Controller/Assets.html

It would be greatly appreciated if you tried it and gave it some feedback. It is a rough draft and still needs some polishins, so we would love to hear what you think.

Before I forget, we also need another 3D character artist, so if you are one or you know one, please tell me. Thanks!

14. Ereous

Ereous

Just to let you know. That controller and model is already a Scripted Package from Dogzer. Its free on the Asset store.

15. WendygoGames

WendygoGames

Sorry to break it to you, but I scripted that controller. I got the model from the Asset Store because it was free and had animations.

16. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

+1

17. dtg108

dtg108

18. ColeChittim

ColeChittim

One thing I think you could do to enhance it is add some head bob or camera shake to the camera.

19. dtg108

dtg108

Thanks for the idea PsycoticStudios! Yes, it is still a rough draft.

20. Chaoss

Chaoss

Doesn't work, when I the link to download I get this message in Russian "Неверный или удаленных файлов" the 2 links just send me to what appear to be a registration page and a page with a lot of information on it

21. dtg108

dtg108

The download for the zombie spawn system? Yea, he took that down to finish it up. You can try out the Character Controller, though.

22. dtg108

dtg108

Guys, I just want to say that we're going to take a break until after the holidays. In early january we'll start back. When we're back, we might start with video updates. Thanks!

23. DAGames

DAGames

Happy hollidays to u guys and hope u guys have time to get some insporation to make ur game even better than it already is! :)

24. dtg108

dtg108

Thanks!

25. BoxLoXZer

BoxLoXZer

merry christmas all. been gone a bit, but I can't wait to hear from all of you when you return to work!

26. Drusinian

Drusinian

first of all i love the game so far and the ideas you have for it i bet its going to be a great game and i think im going to love watching this game grow and improve
    but first you said "HUGE MAPS" i think you should think about that because of the amount of bytes it takes up try and do something like the game fuel they have the largest game map on earth because they used thinks like virtual textures (mega textures also available as a plug in for unity) and used maps that reused old parts of the map (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhyyUiYQolA for a full indepth explanation)

but i doubt youll have that big of maps and remember you can reuse things like chain restaurants in maps because its likely there is more then one in a big city or something

sorry for wasting your time i probably sound like a big douche bag know it all but thanks for reading it all
    and if you would like to procure anymore information or any thoughts i may have on the game and how to improve pm me and i can maybe give you my skype or just talk on the unity forums

27. dtg108

dtg108

Thanks guys, we'll be getting back to work in Early January!

28. tapanui

tapanui

would you add tropical islands to the map and have a map editor?

29. Drusinian

Drusinian

i dont think they will add a map editor because trying to do that with unity is difficult for users and developers

30. dtg108

dtg108

Sorry I haven't answered, I've been busy. Good news is we're starting back tomorrow! Tapanui, we will try to add an ocean with some outlying islands. As for the map editor, it won't come upon release as that is beyond our capabilities for right now. However, once we get some learning done, we might add it as an update :D.

Cheers!

31. tapanui

tapanui

an idea is do what farcry has done an island

32. Drusinian

Drusinian

that sounds like the game dead island

33. tapanui

tapanui

just an idea for a map editor but they could do what day z has done allowing people to make custom maps

34. dtg108

dtg108

We'll see what we can do!

35. tapanui

tapanui

you could add the zombie disease like when you get bitten for the first hour you are alright but the you will get a fever and would effect you aim and you screen would go blurry then you die and after 5 min your body comes back a npc...

36. dtg108

dtg108

Hey guys, just want to say that we are working on a little game design document, and when we finish that one, we will have a much more detailed one. The less detailed one that we're working on now is roughly 25 pages, and we'll upload a small pic sneak peek in a while. I was thinking about doing a small give-a-way where I would send you a digital copy of the Game Design Document once it's finished (personalized). Would anyone be interested?

37. dtg108

dtg108

Here's the sneak peek of the Game Design Document! There are three more pages to the table of contents, this is just a quick shot. There are 25 pages to this one, there will be a more detailed one soon. If you would like a chance to get this copy (personalized), just tell me (comment or PM) and there will be a giveaway.

$CM Capture 15.png

38. TVE

TVE

Nice work, If you have not learned ambient occlusion in blender, I can help you out. :] took me a while but got the hang of it.

39. Eiznek

Eiznek

7 pages of "Work in Progress" with not much progressing being shown. Wonder why this is so popular?

40. TVE

TVE

It is an awesome idea for a game. Also if you want help on your game, I will help! :] This game has a lot of potential if it is finished. Keep your fingers crossed it does not fail.

41. dtg108

dtg108

Eiznek, we have taken some breaks, and in a way, we're starting over. We are still somewhat in the "design" stage of the game, and we're working along the way. Soon, we'll be posting more updates and getting more serious.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  42. dtg108

dtg108

We're currently getting a zombie model worked on by TVE and we're also getting a FPS controller from our programmer, LEVI. Hopefully we'll have some pics/a webplayer soon.

43. dtg108

dtg108

44. dtg108

dtg108

45. janiashvili

janiashvili

Don't you think, that making strategy like game, where you can build whole town, is too expensive for FPS or just action game? Won't it be just time consuming thing?

As an idea it's very interesting, but I'm not quite sure how good it will be in real time play.

And I think little solution to it will be, if there will be presets instead of manual building; what you think?

46. TVE

TVE

Or you can have basic presets, with more advanced manuals. Id recommend basic structures to start, then Manuel building for details. :]

For example, a building with no windows/door as preset, you can build those items, with wood/metal/ect. Then you could build things inside of the building like furniture for block ads or stuff like that. Maybe also be able to assemble basic melee weapons, or specials items like bombs, with raw materials. It keep it simple but fun. :]

It would be even more fun if you had like trash areas, to search for raw materials for building.

Zombie Model about 1/4 done.

47. dtg108

dtg108

Hey janiashvili, it won't be able to build a whole town or even a building, just add barriers, things like that. Sorry, the post where I said that was probably confusing. You can put barriers at the end of each town to block off from zombies, but you can't build a whole town or even building.

48. dtg108

dtg108

Exactly what TVE said.

49. tutugah

tutugah

Hello guys! I want to start by apologizing for my bad english since i am not a native english speaker, but i want to help the development of this game! Although i have some developing knowledge and i am good photoshoper i can see that there is enough people who are working on that and i don't want to be the fifth wheel. No... I am an idea person and my tool is the brain. Leaving all this fancy nonsens behind i want to present a thought of mine which could make a difference ,and i hope so...
    It is important to understand what makes a game desirable and not just a copy of other already known games... I belive that is wrong to inspire from other games, for example thaking dayz and thinking what would make it better or how could you improve it. If you do so you will allways be a copycat of a game which is good but dosn't shine. So you guys need to take your inspiration from real world, and to think what would happen if it will be an appocalipse in your town. You said you want a simulator then it must simulate the real life so i belive you shouldn't look at games but at documentarys and films. For exemple look at The colony (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/) made by discovery chanel or look at the Book of Elly which presents an apocalyptic world. You have to think what makes people to like an apocalypse and zombies . You have to do some science research about the psychology of the human being. This might be a waste of time and maight be allready figured out by you but it never hurts to try and figure out more sice you need just a briliant idea to make a game shine! If you like my point of view i could totally help you whit this crazy reshearch and give you matirials and facts about this topic
    For beging don't think zombies as .. well zombi . Imagine them as infected people and try to add to them somethong new, unique. A vibe of humanity by shouting last words or mumbling nonsense like a parot . I hope i am helpfull at any deegry :mrgreen:

50. janiashvili

janiashvili

This is what I wanted to hear.
    But, how do you imagine those things to be made?

I mean placing each wooden plank manually, or those will be presets as well(like window barricade level 1 - two wooden planks, window barricade level 5 - metal planks, window barricade level 9 - some heavy metal stuff), if everything will be placed manually, that will be pain for online play(will use a lot of resources)

My idea is this: I think maximum what each player can own should be limited to one building or part of it(one house, or part of factory for instance). And, here comes the teamplay, if owner of building A befriends owner of building B, then they can connect A and B using barricades.

Then why should players struggle with eachother, well, because player A has armored his building, but player B couldn't or didn't, instead he stole building of player A. Or, if they befriend eachother and united their houses with barricades, then building A can be a lot bigger, with much less self-containment cost, etc. In this scenario if player B captures building of player A, then his building becomes abandoned, or he calls his another friend(living in far from them) to settle in abandoned building B. And yes, there should be close range between building A and B to share barricades.

Well, point in this idea is, that each player to have very limited amount of buildings and ability to share barriers with good neighbors. If everything goes well, then we can get settlements of people, some teams.

My another idea is, to give players ability to build very simple buildings(tents, huts, etc)

And, I totally agree with tutugah .
    recently I was watching developers' comments on game Dishonored(I'm fan of defunct looking glass studios and I was watching some documentaries, interviews and stuff about those people, who worked there). Those people said, they thrown away everything for 1 month and investigated from scratch, like tutugah says to investigate those things from scratch, do not look at other games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.