Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

'Not Dead Enough'- a zombie apocalypse simulator- now in production!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by dtg108, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtg108

dtg108

We finally have someone for texturing! The bad news is our terrain guy backed out. If you can do it, please PM me or contact me dazdakota@yahoo.com.

2. TehProX

TehProX

Hey, sorrry to hear that!

I've been following this project for a while now, on 2 differentiated forum accounts :)

I'm not a good graphics artist, but maybe for the story line, you could possibly do a 1 / 2 missions BEFORE the Apocalypse.
    Then halfway through the Third your going to pick up your girlfriend or someone like your mum or friend? (idk xD)
    and their a zombie...

idk just some rough ideas.

If their's a part of this project that i can help in any way, add my skype TehProX

Keep up the good work Guys!

3. dtg108

dtg108

Thanks TehProX, that really means a lot. Yea, we will probably integrate a story, but we will release the main part (MMO) first, then do a story, but we will definitely do before the apocalypse, thanks for the idea! Also, we will definitely contact you if we need help. We have one artist at the moment, but eventually we will need two, so we'll contact you when the time comes. Thanks for the feedback!

4. dtg108

dtg108

Hey guys, we finally have enough questions to have another Q&A day! So, here it goes!

Q: Do you have a price or a release date yet? No and No. We've been working hard on this game, however there is no release date planned yet.

Q: What kind of environments can we be expecting? That's the cool thing, see, because really, you can travel everywhere, anytime. There will be big cities, small towns, farms, forests, etc.
    Q: What kind of zombies will be here? Well, these zombies will be the slow moving, brain-dead (no pun intended) zombies. They will be attracted to noises, and in hordes they could be quite dangerous.

Now, I have an announcement, something that will make this game unique, and I definitely think that this will be one of the most anticipated features:
    You can shape your environment! You can build things such as walls, forts, anything. So really, you as a player can restore humanity. Do you want to build a town? Heck, if you have the equipment go for it! If people trust you enough, you could rebuild a civilization. Of course, with our zombies, the could still break in, and that's your job to stop them from doing so. With this feature, I think people will be excited. Of course, this is survival, so you will still have to find food, water, medicine, etc. for your town, so trust me, it won't be easy.

Now, I want to leave you with a couple of things.
    1. If you have questions, leave them in this thread, and we will answer them as best as possible.
    2. We want your feedback on the new build system. Please, tell us what you think.

5. tapanui

tapanui

will the buildings you build look like a shanty town?

6. dtg108

dtg108

Tapanui, while I can't guarantee anything, we will definitely try to add a much as possible according to what people ask. So yes, we will TRY to implement it.

7. ColeChittim

ColeChittim

Hey just wanted to warn you about this game that was being developed, http://undeadlabs.com/about-state-of-decay/ . I just wanted to make sure you knew about it and were going to avoid being the same game. I just wanted to warn you since it sounds like your heading in the same general direction that this game is headed.

8. dtg108

dtg108

PhyschoticStudios, I saw that game a while back, and at first it discouraged me. I was saddened and thought that we were done. However, in the long run, this will help us grow strong and inspire us. So instead of this game bringing us down, it made me happy by inspiring us to push on, knowing that people would play something like this. Do you get what I'm saying?

9. ColeChittim

ColeChittim

Yeah just wanted to make sure you knew so that you don't get to close to being the same thing. No one likes a game that's the same. Kinda like the million different versions of the slender games that are pretty much the same except each with its own twist. They're getting old in my opinion.

10. dtg108

dtg108

PhsychoticStudios, I definitely agree, we will try our hardest to be different, thanks!

11. dtg108

dtg108

Hey guys, we're excited to announce that a terrain trailer will be coming soon!

12. dtg108

dtg108

What woul you like to see included in Not Dead Enough?

13. Chaoss

Chaoss

Large towns cities with fully explorable buildings, realistically laid out roads and paths, realism and dynamic weather

14. dtg108

dtg108

Thanks for the feedback, Chaoss, we appreciate it!
    So, today I want to go over how we’re planning on doing the terrain. If you have been following our game updates, you would know that it’s an open world zombie survival game. At that would be one of the big challenges- the world! Our game will be a huge world; with places ranging from big cities to farmland to small towns, it will be massive! So a question may be- how in the world will you pull this off?
    There are a couple problems with how the terrain will work. First off is the Unity game engine. It’s a great engine, no doubt, but it definitely isn’t a god, so we don’t know exactly what it is capable of (which is why I eventually want to write my own engine). The second thing is that with a world this big, it would lag on even the best computer. Yea, it’s that big! Anyway, we have a simple solution to this problem.
    The solution is this- we break the terrain into bits. Yes, there will be some loading screens, but it will definitely help in the long run. This way, you don’t have to render everything in one scene- it will be in several different ones! This is a very simple solution to a problem.
    We wanted to make it where you weren’t just walking into a forest when you randomly hit a loading screen, so we’ve decided to do something. The map will have the boundaries of each zone- so whenever you go the boundary line, you’ll know that it is about to have a loading screen. Even then, we will still have a message pop up, saying ‘Are you sure you want to travel to _____?” This will solve that problem!
    Alright guys, that’s mostly it! Hopefully we will finish the terrain soon and then we can have a trailer for you! Thanks for reading, blog to you later!

15. TehProX

TehProX

Hey, Me again :D! Have you ever thought of having your own forums? Because i'm going to be bored for the next few months, and I want to do somthing constructive with my time! And i'd prefer to do this than any thing else :)

Also, Just got 2 questions :)

1) Is their a rough idea on the system requirements?
    2) How is the camera angle? is it a "POV" shot?

Also, P.M your Skype, I need to ask you something :)

16. dtg108

dtg108

The zombie is nearly finished guys, I'll post a pic when I get home.

17. TehProX

TehProX

You home yet :D

18. dtg108

dtg108

Nope :D. I'm an extra in a movie, I probably won't be home until about 10 PM :).

19. TehProX

TehProX

;D What movie?

20. dtg108

dtg108

Tyler Perry single moms club :D

21. TehProX

TehProX

:D When you can, check out the forum

22. dtg108

dtg108

We now have a forum/blog site! We will start to post updates in the blog, and you will also be able to post what feedback/ideas/general topics in the forum section! Site address: ndeforum.x10.mx

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  23. tapanui

tapanui

creepy, i like it
    ( ( ) ) )
    / | x x |
    / \ ( --- )
    ___ . - . / \ /
    / = ` _ ' - ' - '/ ! !
    | - { - _ - _ -} !
    ( - { - _ - _ -} !
    \ {_ - _ - _} !
    }- _ - _ -}
    { - _| - _}
    { - _|_ - }
    ______{ _ -|- _ } _________
    { _ -|- _ }
    %@ @%

24. circlecube

circlecube

So i took your survey, anyway i forgot to mention one thing, since i like this project and ive conceptualized and idea around a survival apocalipse simulator my self, i forgot to mention one game that has great mechanics and singleplayer, Metro 2033. even if it doesnt feature traditional horror zombies the actual simulation of ambience is something you should realy consider incorporating, I do mean lighting system, and sounds, they are key in these games and i realy feel like these are things you need to consider from the begining and take notes from games that have succeded in bringing this feeling acros to players. Also check the games´s sugestion forums.

Sry i forgot to write this in the survey and i got a litle lazy to redo it there. :rolleyes:

And i forgot but make sure your texture artist(s) take a look att this when it comes to metal textures

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/photoshop/how-to-hand-paint-convincing-metal-textures/

I noticed they had a bit of a problem when it came to corrosion and metal texturing.

The guy that talks gives some basic undestanding of metals

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  25. TehProX

TehProX

Great Zombie! Seems a bit weird right now because it hasn't got no textures or anything...but im pretty sure it'll look great when its finished.

Please sign up to the Forum\Blog

26. TehProX

TehProX

Just like to announce that forums are temporary down for about 10 - 15 minutes whilst re-install of software is active.

After that, all forums will forums will have to be re-created, this will take around a further 15 - 30 minutes.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

27. dtg108

dtg108

What TehProX said, the forums are down unfortunately, you will have to create a new account, but the address will stay the same.

28. dtg108

dtg108

The site is back up! Please register to the site, you can post in the forums and stay up to date with the blog!

29. dtg108

dtg108

30. dtg108

dtg108

Also, please check out our forum: ndeforum.x10.mx

31. dtg108

dtg108

Department store made by Mark:

$perspective front.jpg $front entrance doors.jpg

We'll have some interior pics soon.

32. dtg108

dtg108

Can anyone see the pics of the store? Just wondering, because I can't...

33. circlecube

circlecube

edit : pic removed

alright thats wierd, i guess just post the links.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  34. dtg108

dtg108

No, I'm not.

35. dtg108

dtg108

$perspective front.jpg

$front entrance doors.jpg

Pics of the department store. Interior coming soon.

36. dtg108

dtg108

Hey, would you guys rather have a free game and then some expansion maps for a price, or just pay for everything at the beginning? Also, what do you think of the store?

37. TehProX

TehProX

The store is great, and i'd think i'd rather get the game for free, then pay for expansion packs. and somthing else i'll tell you, but i'll tell you on the forums

Please visit the OFFICIAL FORUMS

38. TehProX

TehProX

:eek: Our Hosting Account Got Suspended for no reason.

39. dtg108

dtg108

Hey guys, I just wanted to announce that for people with no/bad internet, there WILL be single-player mode, with AI characters instead of real ones. Be careful, you still might not be able to trust all of them! AI characters, some will stab you in the back, some won't. You will still be able to form a group with them. It's kind of like creating your own story!

40. ColeChittim

ColeChittim

I would prefer just to pay once in the beginning for the game that you have planned (the maps you have in mind). If you make more maps or just content in general then maybe release it as DLC.

41. dtg108

dtg108

Thanks!

42. TehProX

TehProX

If we were going to have a launch cost, it would be small right?

43. dtg108

dtg108

Correct. It wouldn't be over $20.

44. dtg108

dtg108

BUMP: what do you think about the department store/single player ideas above?

45. BoxLoXZer

BoxLoXZer

Hey,
    I have been toying with this type of idea for a while. I'd like to see a bunch of things, but basics of life would be pretty cool to see. Instead of just getting weapons, have soap or other personal hygeine products. Have food spoil, generators fail, gas or diesel. Clothes stores, hardware stores etc. Are all buildings fortifiable? Can you scrounge for material? How far can I break equipment down and use the pieces? Can I build tree forts or security outposts? What monetary system is in place? Prices should be ridiculous for seemingly meaningless stuff. Is there a class and ranking system? What background profession do the characters have? Can I input my personal life and make myself in the game? Just some thoughts I have... I can see the game, and it excites me. I really want to play the game that's in my head, so I'm hoping you guys are likeminded as I am.

Cheers.

46. dtg108

dtg108

Yes, the basics of life will be there. Yes you can build buildings into a safe haven. Bsically for building things. Say you see a town, and you have materials. You can put walls around it and keep it safe. Eventually you will run out of equipment, so you fiond more. Zombies can destroy bases. You can build outposts. You can breaj down equipment. Money won't be there, it's the end of the world . Character customization will be there. Here's what I posted in another journal, and I'll show it to you BocLoXZer: Hey guys, I'm back, and I'm happy to say that single player has been announced! We didn't want ANYONE to miss out on the action, so there will be ALL of the features of multiplayer in Single Player. There will be AI characters spread throughout the world, and if you find them, you can shoot them, keep them or whatever. But just because they are CPUs, that doesn't mean you can trust them. You will still want to watch your back, they could kill you. With this new single-player, you can test your skills as a leader, or just hang around in the back of the group. Now, you can create your own story. Become the leader of a group that you want to be. Or go solo. It's all up to you. With the character progression system, your character will grow based on everything you do. This makes it where you have all of the free roam of multi-player by yourself! I also want to say that the WHOLE word is interactive, so that means you can enter almost every house, drive almost every car, go into department stores, military bases, sporting good stores, etc. and use EVERYTHING as your weapon! I think that with single player, everyone with bad/no internet and people that prefer single player will have a great and enjoyable experience.

47. BoxLoXZer

BoxLoXZer

Super cool. Sorry if I made you repeat anything, I perused quickly through the forum, and seen focus on graphic development and such. Pics look great. I'm alreay pretty excited to try this out. I hope there are just regular people type chsracters too. Haha ok so I'm super stoked to try this game.

48. dtg108

dtg108

There will be regulars, maybe even kids (Where's Carl?). Glad to see that people are excited! Our programmer just finished randomly spawned zombies, so hopefully we will release a demo soon!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  49. TehProX

TehProX

:eek: Demo Soon :eek:

That would be amazing, rough idea's on system specs?

50. dtg108

dtg108

I'm working on it now :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.