Search Unity

Normal Map Maker

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mgear, Jun 28, 2014.

1. mgear

mgear

2. mgear

mgear

v1.2 update is now available

- Added runtime normal map example (loads texture from web, creates normal map from it)

*Note: cannot use shader with UnpackNormal() for the runtime generated normal map, read more about that here (but normal maps generated in the editor plugin do work)

Couple modified example shaders are included to use for those runtime generated normal maps (BumpedDiffuse, BumpedSpecular, BumpedSpecularSeparate)

3. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Thanks for making this tool. I just bought this today. This is a real nice addition. Are there some improvements in the pipeline?
    - preview of a zoomed in part?
    - more values to play with(better algorithms are always welcome) :)

4. mgear

mgear

thanks!
    Yes, would like to have these started next:
    - Generation of other types of maps (especially for Unity5 new shader)
    - There is small preview test in the current dev. version, actually zoomed version would help, as its too small now..

But cannot yet give estimate when its coming up..

5. Captain-Awesome

Captain-Awesome

Pretty good so far! I've made a few normal and specular maps with your extension, and it makes even ugly textures look pretty good in Unity 5!

You know what would be great? A real time preview of changes. Maybe generate it from a small 128x128 thumbnail of the actual texture so it's actually in real time.

And using more CPU cores, generating the maps takes a couple minutes for giant 4k textures with the filtering turned up high. I noticed in my task manager that only 1 or 2 cores were being used.

6. mgear

mgear

7. Captain-Awesome

Captain-Awesome

Woa those substances ARE amazing!

If it were my asset (and I had the time), I would make a real time in-game preview, with a camera showing what it looks like on a model. Then borrow a bunch of features from CrazyBump, and sell it all as a new asset for $45 or $90.

btw, after normal mapping everything in my scene for an hour or two, I had dreams about normal maps that night!!

8. mgear

mgear

9. GenericJoe

GenericJoe

Hello, great tool and thanks for releasing it for free!

Quick question: why does the CreateNormalmap function in the code use the green pixel from the source texture in both the y and z property of the sample vector?

10. mgear

mgear

nice find! its does look a bit smoother if use blue channel too.

11. mgear

mgear

Squize likes this.