Search Unity

Normal map artifact inside Unity(marmoset), absent inside Substance Painter. Why?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Oleksandr_3DUA, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Oleksandr_3DUA

Oleksandr_3DUA

Hi everyone. I have trouble with normal map artifact. Tried everything noting helps. Please see image:

How to get rid of them in Unity?

Any ideas. ANY. Please.

Tried to render with Scanline renderer inside Max. Instead of "cracks" i am getting "flakes" which leads to blur effect - not useful in my case. Also tried Vray and Mental ray - same "flakes", but i need perfect reflections. Also Vray, Scanline and Mental ray generate normal map weak (not so cool) comparing to xNormal. Tried to render different resolutions - problem stays. This forum my last hope. Help!

2. Farfarer

Farfarer

It's due to the bit-depth of the image.

xNormal bakes out 16bit TIF images, but Unity will automatically compress those, so you'll get artefacts.

You can set the normal map to be Truecolour in Unity (but only if this is for a folio piece, don't do this for an actual game unless you're absolutely sure you need to).

Alternatively, open the TIF in Photoshop, change the colour mode to 8bit and save it out. Photoshop will dither the image and help reduce the banding you see.

More information here; http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148303

3. Oleksandr_3DUA

Oleksandr_3DUA

Thank you for the link, Farfarer. This is sad sad story with no solution. Especially in my case of using on mobile platform.

4. Oleksandr_3DUA

Oleksandr_3DUA

5. Docm30

Docm30