Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Node Graph - Editor scripting fun!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by mimminito, Jul 30, 2014.

1. mimminito

mimminito

Hey,

So, with all the hype around node based editors recently (there are quite a few now!) I was interested in how people made them, what was involved, and if I could do one myself.

So, with a little research and a few spare evenings, I began to work on creating one myself.

10580766_10154369835225109_8511091684141467543_o.jpg
    I dont know what im going to do with it yet (if anything) but its a great way to learn editor scripting, its teaching me a lot (mainly about how difficult it is to do things!!!).

Any suggestions, feedback (on the system, not on why its a "bad" idea to make one of these) would be great. If you have an idea for a node based system, but dont have the resources/time to make one, let me know! Maybe we could work on something.

Oh yeah, I also need a name for this. Open to suggestions!

Adam

2. exiguous

exiguous

Well, in the worst case you could create and sell a basic node framework people could build their custom functionality upon.

3. smitchell

smitchell

I like the orange and black theme, looks nice! And yeah as exiguous stated you could just sell the framework. I'm sure there are users who are beginners to editor scripting who'll want to play around with it

4. MaxRoetzler

MaxRoetzler

I'd be really interested in a "simple" and practical example. I took a look at the one "Unity" posted here on the forums, but didn't really have the time to figure out how turn it into a fully working "editor". I'd definitely have some use cases.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  5. mimminito

mimminito

I'm thinking of making it very generic, and basic, to sell the system for others to extend. Just concerned that if I only sell the system, others could easily resell my work...

6. Cynicat

Cynicat

that orange color scheme is gorgeous! is that made of unity built-in gui or is it custom?

7. mimminito

mimminito

Im a sucker for orange color schemes haha. I am using Unity GUI to do this, setting a border around the box, and then setting a color for the inside.

8. virror

virror

I agree that a basic node framework would be great for the asset store!

9. mimminito

mimminito

Ill see when I can get back on this. Lots going on, and not had a chance to go through this recently, but I will try and do some more next month when I have some more free time.