Search Unity

No shader model 5 with DX11?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by DaveDno, Jan 26, 2015.

1. DaveDno

DaveDno

Hello all, ill try and make this short and sweet. I am trying to utilize DX11 image effects, for example i am trying to use the depth of field blur and when i choose the blur type to be DX11 it gives me a warning that its not supported and that i need shader model 5. the kicker is that i have DX11 enabled, it says <DX11> in the editor bar. i have the DX11 option checked in the player settings. my graphics card is up to date (see system specs below) and i have win 7. it only gives me the option to choose shader model 2, 3 , or no emulation. dxdiag command shows no problems and appears to be fine but i cant find anywhere to gain access to shader model 5, im sure that all of my hardware is compatible. any help would be splendid.

Computer spec:
    win 7 ultimate 64 bit sp 1
    z97x- ud5h gigabyte mobo
    intel i5- 4670k @ 4.5ghz
    8gb ram
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 superclocked with 4gb memory (up to date)

(DDI version 11)

thanks for any resposes.

Dave

2. scrawk

scrawk

I had a similar problem on my laptop. I use to use dx11 fine with no problems and then one day I did a clean install of windows. Since then dx11 would not work in Unity for some reason. I made sure everything was updated and had the latest GPU driver but never did manage to get it to work again.

One thing to watch out for though is that some cards have a 'dx11 in dx10 ' driver. The settings will say its running dx11 but its really a dx10 driver with a dx11 emulation so shader model 5 is not completely supported.

Might be worth checking out. I think Unity will display 'dx11 in dx10' somewhere if this is the case but not sure.

3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Just check the title bar of the window: if it's a DX10 GPU (Like my intel HD chip... :D) it will say <DX11 on DX10 GPU>

Same with shader emu: if you are testing shader model 3, for example, it will say: <DX11 on DX9 GPU>

You get the idea! :)

Strange how it happens on a DX11 computer though... might be a bug worth reporting.

4. edwintenwolde

edwintenwolde

Hi there, I also have this problem, I wanted to use tesselation but my highest numer of shadermodel is 3, and when I hover over Unity in my taskbar it also says: <DX11 on DX10 GPU>.

My graphiccard is the Geforce GT540m and on the Geforce website's is says it would support everything I need for tesselation.

Hope there will be a solution in the near future!

5. Mauri

Mauri

Try this if you haven't already:
    - Go to the NVIDIA Control Panel (not Geforce Experience!)
    - Under 3D Settings, click on Manage 3D settings and choose Program Settings from the tab strip
    - Choose Unity from the dropdown list of programs (1.), use Dedicated Graphics instead of Integrated Graphics (2.) and click on Save.

Restart Unity and it should now say <DX11> in the titlebar :)

edwintenwolde likes this.
  6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Heh... that moment when the computer defaults to it's built-in GPU... :D

Mauri likes this.
  7. edwintenwolde

edwintenwolde

Thank you Mauri! :D