Search Unity

No Heroes - A realistic multiplayer FPS

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by eskovas, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Its not a matter if it looks nice or not. Those sharp edges that you want arn't suitable for baking to a normal map as it will miss all that tiny detail. For a movie its fine because you won't be baking any normal maps, but for a game you want them to be softer to get all the information into a bake.

That example you provided isnt designed to be ported to low poly thus the sharp edges are allowed.

@Martin_H I love earthquake such a helpful person :p

2. eskovas

eskovas

Thanks for the links and suggestions :)
    I'll try to have a look at those topics for the future.

MP-ul and Martin_H like this.
  3. eskovas

eskovas

This will be the last time i mention the First Person View asset here on this thread ( unless i can make improvements to it that greatly affects this game ).

I released the First Person View asset on GitHub and it's free for everyone.
    So go over to the official thread, download it, test it and tell me what you think and what improvements i could make to the asset. Also ask any questions you have about it there.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/fr...nt-shadow-support-and-independent-fov.356711/

shkar-noori likes this.
  4. MonsterError

MonsterError

i saw your no first person clip fix but how does that work in multiplayer with seeing someone through the wall
    hope it becomes a great game btw beeing a perfect battlefield clone means also great things
    not that i founded it looking like bf :D
    also wil there be a beta would be nice for the community and the development of the game

5. eskovas

eskovas

With the First Person View asset, you can enable/disable objects from being First Person Objects, so you only need to activate the objects that belong to the character you're controlling.

There will be an alpha when the game is ready to be tested, but the date hasn't been announced yet.

6. MonsterError

MonsterError

CPLLFBYWwAAwypT.jpg large.jpg
    with this would a other player see this? btw your a great dev & community manager at the same time :D

7. eskovas

eskovas

Thank you :) btw, for future questions about the asset, please ask them in the official thread because this thread is only for the game: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/fr...nt-shadow-support-and-independent-fov.356711/

Regarding your question, yes the other players would be able to see the gun on the other side of the wall. This would happen with or without the First Person View.
    But in that shot, i put the object very very rear the camera to demonstrate the effect, and in reality, with the character controller, it would never be that close to the object. And to be sure that no gun sticks through the walls, there will be a mechanism that puts the gun in a different position and rotation when too close to an object.

8. Martin_H

Martin_H

Be careful with that if it affects gameplay like for example in Insurgency. It can be quite annoying and many people seem not to be able to deal well with this because it can be unintuitive at times. I have mixed feelings about the feature in Insurgency. It doesn't often get in my way, but I don't think I'd miss it if it was gone. And for the new Insurgency feature that prevents your legs from clipping through walls while prone: I really dislike the implementation of that as it often gets me killed because I turn to aim and the crawl animation starts and lowers the gun. Just my 2 cents because from all the games I play and have an opinion on Insurgency seems to be the one that has the most parallels. Haven't played the Conquer update yet though.

jballou likes this.
  9. blueagardq13

blueagardq13

Hey, I would like to know where I can start learning how to model better for myself. Would you happen to know where you started modeling, or any other source where I can learn to model better? What Program did you use?

10. eskovas

eskovas

Hello Everyone!

Demonstration of a new functionality in No Heroes.

Ability to switch attachments in real-time and with animation.
    This system dynamically positions everything in place and re-uses the same animations for all weapons for that attachment.
    By doing this, it will save countless animations and speed-up development

11. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

The wrist looks a bit goofed lol when taking off the silencer. Kinda like that harry potter scene when the bone is taken out. The rest looks pretty cool though.

nxtboyIII likes this.
  12. eskovas

eskovas

Yeah, that's a problem with the IKs i noticed when implemented this. Will improve it later on :)

13. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Good to know :)

landon912 and hergo97 like this.
  14. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

Haha XD

15. FBTH

FBTH

I have to say though, graphics, the weapons, animations, and functionality are all very nice and well done. Minor things aside, great work!

eskovas likes this.
  16. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

Awesome. Nothing more to say. Nah, okay. Keep it up, really amazed me.

eskovas likes this.
  17. eskovas

eskovas

Testing animated weapon pickup.
    It's still work in progress, with missing animations and missing a few other things.
    A lot of work has been done on many other features, performance and gamemode related things. Just wanted to show this new feature :)

18. LightSource

LightSource

Will you be adding impact animations for the player models?

19. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone!

I uploaded a new small video just showing new things added to No Heroes plus improvements such as:

- Reloading (yes, reloading)
    - Ability to remove attachments and attach attachments and place them on different weapons,
    - Ability to pickup and use items around the map,
    - New sounds (place holders), ambient sounds, footstep sounds based on the surface,
    - Small improvement to the testing map,
    - A lot of gameplay and networking improvements,
    - Lots of bug fixes,
    - All features/mechanics are already networked and server authoritative,
    - Gameplay basics are mostly complete,
    - And many more

20. eskovas

eskovas

Here's a little sneak peak at a very small area of the new Work-In-Progress map.

map_10.jpg

In the near future, i'll show the evolution of the creation of the map. I have images since the beginning!

21. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

Looks cool! I think you should remove the "CARGO" text from the cargo crates though

eskovas likes this.
  22. eskovas

eskovas

Almost ready to show the new map i've been working on. Here's a sneak peak from a far distance.

Without spoiling too much, the map is very different from other previous made maps. I went for a more "clean" and modern look instead of a grass filled abandoned place.

When it's ready, i'll also show the iteration process of the map from the very beginning. It's pretty nice to see the evolution and how everything changed.

Thanks for the support!

newMap_peak1.png

jimmikaelkael and JanCDS like this.
  23. HowarthStudios

HowarthStudios

Hey this project looks awesome!
    Did you get around to finishing it?

Did you build the game up in single player mode? otherwise you're going to have to recode your whole multiplayer section from scratch! Great looking by the way!

24. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I think he's still working on it and he didn't start in multiplayer mode, however incorporated it early on (early update videos).

25. eskovas

eskovas

Hello,

Since the last post i've been working more on the map, making optimizations to the game and improving a few systems.
    I've also been working on the new solution for first person perspective (my asset) that i'll also be using in No Heroes, which gives the game a performance boost over the last solution. You can see more details here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/fr...port-and-independent-fov.356711/#post-2718976

Here are a couple of images of the new map in No Heroes:

sneak.png

SEGI4.png

26. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

This game looks gorgeous, Honestly I've never seen anything look this good in Unity--this even looks better than that Adam demo they made.

The graphics are slightly worse than Battlefront's graphics, which is incredible coming from Unity.

eskovas and nxtboyIII like this.
  27. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone!

Posting a new sneak peak of the game, this time with the in-game menu and video options currently available.

I'll be revealing images of the map very soon (along with its evolution since the beginning), since i won't be able to work on the game for a couple of weeks.

For now, here's the in-game menu with a little sneak peak of the map.

menu1.jpg menu2.jpg

28. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Will you do an open alpha/beta? Mostly for bug testing, balancing, optimization, etc. But I think it would be amazing.

29. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone!
    Starting today, i'll be posting images showing the iteration process of the development of the new map since the very beginning. (27 iterations saved at the moment)
    You will see that the initial idea was very different and that it changed drastically during its development.

This part of the map is for small gamemodes, like deathmatch for example. This will be part of a larger map for game modes like battle royale.

It's good to note that the map is still in development and will be improved. There's a lot of detail still needed to be added, better lighting, textures and a few more.
    There is already a lot of destructibility in the map, but larger scale destruction is still going to be added.
    But right now, it's almost good enough for the new gameplay video, and can already be used for real gameplay.

Hope you like the direction, and leave any feedback you have.
    Thanks for the support! :)

Map_27_6.jpg
    Map_27.jpg
    Map_27_1.jpg

I'll try not to post too much here, so i don't seem like i'm spamming new posts, so i'll not make a new post every day.
    If you want, follow the official page on facebook to see every new post: https://www.facebook.com/DrunkenLizardGames/

---------------------

If you haven't checked it out yet, i recently released the new version of First Person View, with a new solution for first person perspective, which works much better than the old version, has less limitations and no performance impact.
    I'm currently using it in No Heroes, and it works really well.
    If you're interested, check the following link: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/fi...port-and-independent-fov.356711/#post-2733991

RavenOfCode, HerrDarko and Whiteleaf like this.
  30. eskovas

eskovas

Right now i can test everything myself with my friends.
    When it's ready, it will be released on Steam's Early Access. There is no release date yet though.

Whiteleaf likes this.
  31. eskovas

eskovas

Made a simple video demonstration of the asset First Person View 2, available on the Unity's Asset Store: http://u3d.as/xzu

I use No Heroes to showcase the asset in action, so you can get a sneak peak at how the game is doing :)
    Note that the asset doesn't include the game or any of the assets shown in the video obviously :D

RavenOfCode, Whiteleaf and Rombie like this.
  32. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone!

From now on, all news will be posted on the official website, starting with the Roadmap to Early Access.

I talk about the Trello board that was created for No Heroes ( and you ), and i give an update on the future development updates that will be made for No Heroes.

Today i posted the very first Development Blog of No Heroes. Check it out: https://drunkenlizardgames.com/2016/10/10/no-heroes-development-blog-1/

33. eskovas

eskovas

RavenOfCode and Luckymouse like this.
  34. _--_

_--_

Hi dlg I have a question. When you make your map like the one above to you model each building in a separate blend file and then pull everything together in unity. Also do you use the built in terrain system in unity or use blender?

35. eskovas

eskovas

Hello there!

Each building is made in a separate file.
    I use Unity's terrain system, with RTP as the terrain shader and AFS for the grass.

36. zugsoft

zugsoft

I follow your topic from the 1st day, I am always surprised by your quality.

eskovas likes this.
  37. eskovas

eskovas

38. eskovas

eskovas

39. eskovas

eskovas

40. atwaterlol

atwaterlol

How can you download the game? is there a download link?
    I think the game is really awesome and i want to download it :D

41. Rombie

Rombie

It's still in Development and not yet released.

42. eskovas

eskovas

43. eskovas

eskovas

Been playing around with the lighting and tonemapping settings. Getting much better color and light intensity results, and i think i'm now using HDR in a better way.

light2.png

Plus, i uploaded a video on my own twitter, showing how the player no longer slides when rotating, how i separated the bottom part of the body from my FPV system, and showing new sounds, effects and the better lighting.

https://twitter.com/Tiago11F/status/838100555117518849

44. eskovas

eskovas

Did some environment work on an ugly part of the map. I think it's looking pretty great now. Much better than it used to :D
    env3_.png

Whiteleaf, RavenOfCode and Martin_H like this.
  45. paulojsam

paulojsam

bom eskovanco

46. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Did you make all the art assets by yourself or did you buy them? They look amazing!

47. eskovas

eskovas

Thanks! :)
    Apart from the trees (speedtree), a couple of rocks and the soldier, every art asset was made by me. 3D models, textures and animations.

pcg, chelnok, Whiteleaf and 1 other person like this.
  48. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

That's incredible! Very inspiring.

eskovas and chelnok like this.
  49. eskovas

eskovas

50. AntonBertelsen

AntonBertelsen

Looks very cool. How are you handling grass and vegetation?