Search Unity

No Heroes - A realistic multiplayer FPS

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by eskovas, Jul 12, 2011.

1. eskovas

eskovas

You can't really compare between Frostbite and Unity. Both were made for very different targets and each one excels in their own strong points. ( Obviously Frostbite is miles ahead of Unity, at least in terms of technology and performance )
    As for Battlefield, it is obviously way way way better than my one man team small game. There's no question about it ;)
    I'm not trying to compete with anyone or any game. This is being made as an hobby project during my free time (which isn't much), and i just want to make something that people will enjoy and have fun playing.

Thanks for the words though :p

Also please don't derail this thread into an engine or game battle. pretty please :D

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    Whiteleaf likes this.
  2. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Frostbite engine has nothing to do what the game plot is about. Its a game engine exclusive to ea.
    Battlefront 3 and pvz garden warfare are using frostbite not just battlefield.
    And i think ill end here

3. LazyPoet91

LazyPoet91

Well, I played Bf3 and Bf4 a lot, and honestly, I have to agree that I like your game (from what I saw until now) much more.
    You focus much more on details and the gameplay looks much more interesting that Battlefield.

That's said, I would like to suggest two thinks:
    1. For the attachments: If you search for the Homefront the Revelution E3 gameplay, you'll see very cool live attachment switching. That would be awesome to have in No Heroes (that would be awesome to have in every shooter :D)
    2. Do you plan any team mechanics? I hope so, like Rainbow Six will do, I think Shooters should be much more on team tactics etc

4. DryTear

DryTear

hey eskovas, can you post like a list of weapons that are 100% ready for the game, and other guns that are in process, maybe even future ones. Because right now im only aware of the mps and m4s.

5. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

I think he has an m9, m4a1, mp7, beretta shotgun and some sniper

6. eskovas

eskovas

No Heroes will be released in 2015.

The reason for this, is that the game is not yet close to being complete and because i underestimated the amount of work that had to be done and the complexity of such.

The main vision of the game is still in development and many new features still need to be added to the game.

I don't want to make something that doesn't work properly or that you don't enjoy playing, so having more time to develop the game is a must.

An important note is that: Just because i'm only one person creating this game, you really shouldn't expect the development to be easy and fast. On the contrary, development of games (and any other type of software) are very hard and take a lot of time to make something worth playing.

I'm creating this game as a personal hobby project, which i do during my free time ( i also have university and a job).

Hope you understand why and hope you keep supporting me and the development of No Heroes, so in the end it is something that people enjoy and have fun playing.

Thank you for the support
    -Tiago

elmar1028 likes this.
  7. eskovas

eskovas

Here are a couple of images of the environment to keep you going :)

I've been having a frustrating bug for about 5 days (finally found a workaround that bug), so i worked a bit on the map to refresh my head :p
    Looks much better than before. You can see the place where the camera is and compare it to how it was.

environment2.jpg

environment.jpg

HerrDarko and randomperson42 like this.
  8. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Really does remind me a lot of Bad Company 2, but a little.... "sharper" I guess is the word?

Whiteleaf likes this.
  9. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Fully agree with you. And it will hopefully bring us all the joy BFBC2 did!

Dang...that looks great, Esk. Most realistic multiplayer FPS I've seen yet!

10. HuniSenpai

HuniSenpai

Not many posts lately, eh? Game looks great though! Have you considered some finishing effects for blue tints, etc? Look at this minecraft screenshot I took with shaders:

And that was with cubes and 16x16 textures :p im sure it wook look even better on your game!
    Oh, and also, have you considered collabing with this guy?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCclHZRG4BLVMeGSCbI46coQ
    (P.S: depth of field would be cool :p)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  11. MadJohny

MadJohny

If you don't mind, stop spamming, the last comment was unnecessary and the second one could be just an edit of the first one, also, I can't open your image

12. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone,

Just making a small last update of the year :)

I was having a few problems with the old GUI solution i was using (NGUI) , so i decided to upgrade to Unity 4.6 and use the new Unity UI.
    It's amazingly good ( grats to the Unity team :D i love the new UI ) and surprisingly easy to switch from the GUI solution i was using to the new one.

With this, i'm also getting everything ready for the Unity 5 Pre-Order Beta upgrade, which i should do when i start working on the multiplayer component.

Besides that, i've been working on the database, unlocking system, stat tracking and many other things.
    I've also decided to make the main map of No Heroes based off a place here in my country, which should make everything easier to make and look more authentic (using photo references and google maps). It's much better than trying to make an island from scratch without references.

Thanks for the amazing support over the year, and have a great 2015 :)

-Tiago

Baldinoboy likes this.
  13. HuniSenpai

HuniSenpai

Okay, I compacted it :D! And as for the image not appearing, thats weird... it does take some time to load I guess... here is the URL to the image instead:

14. MadJohny

MadJohny

It wants me to download stuff, upload to imgur or some other image hosting website, that'd be better for everyone

15. HuniSenpai

HuniSenpai

Okay... I used imgur this time:

16. eskovas

eskovas

Finished the switch to Unity 4.6's new UI. Here's a comparison before (top) and after (bottom) the switch.
    I will still be adding/changing a few more things to the menu.

newMenu.jpg

hergo97 likes this.
  17. jtok4j

jtok4j

Greetings,

This work in progress looks really good! :D Kudos to the one-man show. I'm currently in the same boat, and just really getting started.

To be honest, it's been a while since you started this work. Why not get a head start on testing, and release a small, short and sweet, one-level Alpha, so that we can jump in, and mess around, to give you feedback. (You can use this feedback later, but at least it'll be available then, when you're ready to work on that sort of thing.)

Also, could you please take a few seconds and comment on the difficulty/learning curve, from NGUI to the switch to the New UI system? I'd like to hear a bit of your experience. (I do know that the NGUI creator was also working with Unity on the New UI system for a while now, and I do see his handi-work in the design, etc.)

Keep up the good work, and don't let this be a project with only game-play vids, pretty please! :D

18. Ezio1302

Ezio1302

Wow! I have played many games, and I must say that your UI is absolutely awesome! I can't stand it when a game has a sloppy, hard-to-understand and/or navigate interface. I like how you seem to be going for more of a minimalist look.

On an off-note, are you using the Mecanim system to animate your models? Or are you just calling the animations through your scripts? Sorry if this has been discussed earlier in this thread, I have read it a few times and didn't see anything.

Keep up the good work!

19. IISniperII

IISniperII

This game looks amazing!
    I can't wait for the Alpha to come out.
    Keep up the great work!
    (Add moar sniper rifles :3)

20. eskovas

eskovas

Uploaded one more quality test video on Youtube if you want to check it out :)

I'm still not happy with the quality, but at least it's better than the usual.

---------------------------------------

Alphas don't really work like that.
    Alphas should only be released when the main vision of the game is nearly complete and when the devs want the public to test almost every functionality of the game. I'm not at that stage yet.
    Regarding the new UI, it was much more simple to remake the menu that i thought it would be, and i really like how the new UI is made. It's really easy to work with.

I'm still using the legacy animation system, but thinking about if i should use Mecanim. I don't want to be changing everything at this stage though.

21. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Jackfrags made a video about youtube quality and how to get the best quality out of your videos.

22. Ezio1302

Ezio1302

I myself have only used mecanim a little bit, and I'm not quite sure what to think of it...for now, I too will probably stick with legacy.

One last question, how are you (if you don't mind me asking) displaying the full character body from first-person? If that shadow on the ground is any sign, it's that you pulled it off quite well. I have struggled multiple times to try and use the full body character, but I always end up defaulting back to just using the arms.

23. LaneFox

LaneFox

Amazeballs.

24. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone :)

Here's the new Development Update #45 of No Heroes !
    Hope you enjoy :)

hergo97 likes this.
  25. Ezio1302

Ezio1302

Holy...that menu system is EPIC! Like I said previously, I love how you're going for more of a minimalist look.

26. HuniSenpai

HuniSenpai

Hey Eskovas!
    First off, amazing game! Both the graphics and the gameplay look smooth and great! Although, I have some suggestions to the shaders that I think might look great!
    Here is how It might look with some of my suggestions:

Some of the things I did was darken the ground, deepened the shadows, added DOF, and added a little bit more glow to the green dots. The contrast was also increase, and lighting decreased by a little bit.
    Whether you make any changes is up to you. Either way, the game will look great and play well! Looking forward to its release for sure!

27. tynew

tynew

I've been following your game development on No heroes for a couple of years now. One question that comes to my mind is what experience are you offering with no Heroes that I can't get in other games? The only thing that actually seems innovative is the parkour/free running, although there looks to be a lack of viable areas to take advantage of this feature fully.

You're obviously heavily inspired by Battlefield and I admire the amount of work put in. To give some criticism I would mention that if you really want to stand out from the crowd, your game needs to do something different. When the game releases I don't think you really want people/journalists reviewing your game as "another battlefield clone".

Crystalline and hergo97 like this.
  28. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I'd have to say "No" to DOF. Seriously. That would suck balls in a first person shooter where your survival depends on being able to spot enemies *at any distance*.

shkar-noori and randomperson42 like this.
  29. HuniSenpai

HuniSenpai

If you want realistic, to be honest, DOF would be important. Though, it should be nowhere near extreme as in the image. What do I mean? No one on earth has super good vision, so the player shouldn't either. The person would have to go down sight in order to see quite far out. Though, I do agree, DOF isn't a good idea in a case like this, but probably a good idea to have it a little blurred when something is like a half a mile out. You could also add a new aspect to the game: snipers must have good vision, so if you went with sniper class, DOF would be greatly reduced. And anyways, you won't shoot anyone with a machine gun half a mile away, would you?

30. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

"And anyways, you won't shoot anyone with a machine gun half a mile away, would you?"

Ummm... Those are my favorite kills to get in Call of Duty or any FPS. It's an accomplishment to the player's effort and tenacity to play offensively and defensively. Killing a guy from really far away with a machine gun whilst dealing with 1) recoil, 2) possible sniping and 3) everybody else firing upon you is the best.

31. tynew

tynew

People do this in real life...they can shoot 1/4 to over 1/2 a mile with supersonic rounds.

32. HuniSenpai

HuniSenpai

"The person would have to go down sight in order to see quite far out"
    I probably should have said what this meant better: the DOF would drastically reduce aiming down sights. Just like IRL, you would have to aim down sights to shoot far. Hopefully this clears everything up.

33. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

This is ONE person making a game though. Keep that in mind. Also its FREE so it's not like people won't buy it because the game is "another Battlefield"

34. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone :)

Happy to announce that No Heroes is now using Unity5 beta :D

Having tons of fun discovering and playing around with all the new features.

- Real-Time Global illumination brings great quality at almost no extra cost, although it can be a little frustrating when using Continuous Baking ( if i change only one object, it will have to bake a ton of objects again ), so right now, i just use the bake button.

1.jpg
    2.jpg

- One amazing addition is the SpeedTree integration. Amazing quality and physics :

https://vine.co/v/OUaBUqd9i11/embed/simple

- Unity did an awesome job with the script updater. I didn't have to do anything to the scripts after it finished.

- 64 bit editor is welcomed

- New PBR / Sky is great

- Still have to play around with the new Audio

One important note for those who are using Unity5 and real-time global illumination:
    Don't put everything lightmap static. just don't.
    You should only use lightmap static on large objects, buildings and objects that you know will make a difference with global illumination. Never use lightmap static on small objects, thin objects, etc and use light probes instead on those objects. You will see that the baking process will take much less time to bake and quality will basically be the same.

chelnok and randomperson42 like this.
  35. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

Yeah but if DOF makes it realistic it shouldn't matter. Realistic games aren't supposed to be easy or convenient, they're supposed to create a challenge by imitating aspects of real life.

36. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

Everything was placeholder... Aesthetics weren't his priority.

37. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Games should strive to be fun over realistic.

Crystalline, nipoco and Mister-D like this.
  38. MadJohny

MadJohny

The thing is, in real life, you can focus where you want to, being the rest blurred out but you don't really care about that because you're focusing on what you want to focus, in a game, if you would just add DOF you would have blur where you probably would want to keep focus, which isn't nice

39. jtok4j

jtok4j

So, I've also been following this project for a while, and like where it's headed. I do hope that our "One Man Machine" here will be able to do what he wants, (be it, getting paid for creating games, or whatever else he's interested in) since the game's being released for free. (or so I think it is...) Best of Luck!

40. tynew

tynew

It's nice to see the eskovas ignoring posts in this thread.

41. HolBol

HolBol

That's simply not necessary at all. Not replying does not mean ignoring. I imagine eskovas is very busy working on this. The least you could do is appreciate that.

Ezio1302, chelnok and randomperson42 like this.
  42. eskovas

eskovas

Hello,

I've not been ignoring, i just haven't got the time to respond accordingly.
    You guys have been discussing if DOF should be in a game, and i don't think it should ( at least not in this one ).

I'll only be adding slight Blur/DOF when aiming down sights. It's the only place i see it's appropriate without ruining the experience.
    Using DOF all the time would only hurt the experience and not help it.

PhobicGunner and MadJohny like this.
  43. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

That is an opinion. I think that is definitely true for some games, but not o much for others. IT depends on what the creator wants. If mario was realistic it wouldn't be fun, that's not the point of the game, but if you could take a sniper round to the head in Battlefield and live people wouldn't be happy either. Like I said, it's all depends on the game.

44. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I'd argue that that's actually part of what makes BF fun. The choice to have snipers a one hit kill is an obvious one, but it's balanced by the other features of the sniper.

45. eskovas

eskovas

Hello there :)

Just giving a small update on No Heroes.
    I've been working on the server infrastructure, logic and everything related to it.
    I'm currently remaking the character controller and networking system, and everything is going very well :)

I'll leave you with a screenshot, which i initially made for fun, but will be in the game.

For anyone interested, i made it with Blender and Unity5 in approximately 2 hours :)
    Unity5_Image_2.jpg

ludiares likes this.
  46. hergo97

hergo97

From where u get the textures?

47. eskovas

eskovas

hergo97 likes this.
  48. gamadgames

gamadgames

are the textures from www.cgtextures.com placeholders (and make you for the final product your own textures) or are you using the textures also in the final product?

49. eskovas

eskovas

Some are placeholders and some are final. For realistic environment textures it's best to use real photos than to make my own by hand.

Since this jumped into a new page, i'll repost the image :D

Baldinoboy likes this.
  50. Ezio1302

Ezio1302

Wow...just, wow...