Search Unity

No Antialiasing on Mobile Devices?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rezilausiv, Jul 27, 2011.

1. rezilausiv

rezilausiv

Hi

We have a project made for iOS and Android devices. Within the editor and as standalone, as well as web version, antialiasing works well (all quality steps). But on the iPhone (3) and on a Galaxy Tab, there is no AA at all.

Although we have choose our own Icon for the Android APP within the editor, but it still shows an Unity Icon on the desktop of the Android Device after "Build and Run" the project.

It would be very helpfull if you have an explanation for those two points?

:-|

Attached Files:

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

MSAA works fine on iPhone, but probably not the old one you have. Keep in mind that there's a performance penalty for using it in any case.

--Eric

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

From experience I can say that MSAA for iphone 3GS and 4 works fine and performs decent enough.

4. rezilausiv

rezilausiv

MSAA means "Multisampling".. AA
    The Quality setting is adjust to 6x6 AA..MS

But it has no effect on the Device.
    Use UnityAndroidPro.

Something to do with shader type or textures?

Attached Files:

5. ShadoX

ShadoX

Out of curiousity.. does this mean that MSAA simply won't work on a 3G/2G phone or will there be problems playing the game on those models?

6. jeffro11

jeffro11

A small trick we used to use when developing on the psp was to take advantage of the psp's lcd ghosting to fake antialiasing by "vibrating" the camera rapidly to blur the edges... Worked well :)

David-Berger and Pixeldamage like this.
  7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No, it means your device doesn't have support for MSAA. Which, by the way, is either on or off; the amount you set in the quality settings doesn't make any difference (2x, 4x, 8x are all the same on the device).

--Eric

8. rezilausiv

rezilausiv

What is right now?

Our iPhone 3G shows the clock without AA.
    Same Samsungs Galaxy tab.
    Can somebody confirm this? >Galaxy Tab 7" (Android 2.2 Froyo) without MSAA support.

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I said 3GS and 4. I haven't tested iphone 3G, but I'm guessing it is too slow for AA, or flat out not supported. And it's not a unity thing. Unity just added support for the MSAA that apple added withthe ios 4 SDK, if I am not mistaken.

I haven't heard anything about Antialiasing on Android devices, but then again, I have minimal experience with android.

10. rezilausiv

rezilausiv

Realy?

So we spend 1500 USD for nothing!
    Cause as you can see above, that rendering quality isn't enough for publishing at the APP store, especialy for tablet devices.

Unfortunately we could not test that fact, because the demo version of Unity did not allows to Build and Run.

AA as post effect isn't a way too, because not even the AndroidPro version allows to use this post processing effect.

11. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

No, you just won't be able to publish to those specific devices.

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Funny that there have been >1000 iOS apps made with Unity then. Get a less old device, then you will have MSAA. (You need at least a semi-recent device to test on anyway, you can't make do with an iPhone 3G.)

--Eric

13. Dreamora

Dreamora

For AA you wouldn't need nor want to buy Unity iOS Pro.

You buy Pro actually for Occlusion Culling and Stripping 2 things that make a day - night difference on performance and build size.
    MSAA is just eye candy that requires 30mins of implementation on the xcode project and was present there for quite some time now.

And for "not allowing": Android Pro allows to use PostFX, but the question is always if the type of postfx you want to use can run on mobile at all or if it requires a capability just not available (render texture with depth mode as required for DoF and other post fx). But you really don't want AA and similiar heavy post normally, its fillrate intense and if you had that many pixels to waste (fillrate to waste) you might want to consider wasting it for something the user sees something of (at 250dpi+ he doesn't see it and on tablets aside of the iPad2 the 15fps and lower from AA + full resolution do not make him want to play it a second time)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  14. Pixeldamage

Pixeldamage

That is brilliant :)

15. Benji771

Benji771

I know this is an old thread, but I had no AA on my Android device (even with 8x enabled), but I managed to fix the problem by unchecking the 32-bit Display Buffer option in the Player Settings (Resolution and Presentation). I didn't notice any change in quality other than AA finally working.