Search Unity

Nintendo 3DS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ogien, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Ogien

Ogien

Is there a beta going on for Nintendo 3DS Export? If so I would love to join

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No but if there is, Unity will have chosen from a pool of developers I think.

3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I'm fairly certain that it would be a waste of resources for unity to develope for 3ds at this point.

I mean, their new handheld has got to be, what? Three years away, tops.

And, I would be shocked if the next handheld by Nintendo isn't based off of Android or Linux. (Yes, I know Android is based of Linux, but you know what I mean).

4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I doubt it... the DS came out in late 2004 and was superseded in 2011, however they kept selling it until 2013... that's a lifespan of 9 years and the 3DS only came out in 2011 why would it be replaced in at most 3 years? That would be a short lifespan.

5. Ogien

Ogien

Thanks, that would be fun. I am not sure what the market is on 3ds but I think it could be fun to work with either way.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't actually have any information on this that's concrete, I'm just commenting as a long term Unity developer FYI. I don't yet deploy to nintendo platforms (but that's something I'd love us to look into).

Speaking from experience in beta/alpha - generally unity and the console manufacturer tend to communicate well and pick, so please don't take my word as gospel here.

If you have an existing high end title and a nintendo developer license, you should be able to reach out via your nintendo rep.

7. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I think three years is about right.

It's almost for years out the gate, plus three makes seven years.

The DS (also known as the best selling console of all time), had 7 years before the 3ds came out.

The 3ds is not doing as good since it banked on a flopped technology (3d). And there is overwelming pressure to move to a market more like tablets and smartphones, which is spanking them in market share.

TylerPerry likes this.
  8. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Oh yeah, my brain malfunctioned a bit there :) I hope it's some kind of Wii-U portable, it would fit really well with technology of the time, some kind of low level emulator for the Wii-U processor and GPU instructions and a 1080p top screen using a modern mobile GPU.

Not_Sure likes this.
  9. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

That is EXACTLY what Nintendo should do: A portable console that is like a tablet with buttons and analog sticks, that you can plug into the TV and have it work as a Wii-U.

I bet they could sell it for as much as a Wii-U too, since it would be droping the optical drive and console case.