Search Unity

Nimian Legends : BrightRidge - Open World Wilderness

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by protopop, Jul 17, 2014.

1. protopop

protopop

Update: BrightRidge is coming to Mac and PC.

Here's a few shots of the beta. It includes better anti-aliasing, farther draw distances, increased details and real-time shadows

UPDATE 1.2:
    version 1.2 is on the appstore with new features - Jumping and Sliding, Dynamic Weather, Shapechanging, Atmospheric scattering, New Quality Options and Customizations, high res mode and more: Download it here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id885657108?mt=8

UPDATE 1.1
    - Now a Universal App: added support for iPad Air, iPad 4 and iPad Mini with Retina Display
    - Massive optimization: better performance on all supported devices
    - Sharper more detailed textures: 4x the original texture resolution on A6 and A7 devices

Hi Everyone,

I've been working on an open world wilderness game for the last 3 years. I'm thrilled that yesterday it was approved by the Apple store:) I'm very grateful to all the forum community who have helped me with technical answers, for the really creative asset creators on the Asset Store, and to the folks at Unity for creating such a great tool.

Touch Arcade Review: http://toucharcade.com/2014/08/12/nimian-legends-brightridge-review/

Download Nimian Legends BrightRidge : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id885657108?mt=8

Here's a short trailer:

And some environment screenshots - this is the Pump River Falls

And a view of West Canyon

And the falls outside BrightRidge Inn

There's also wildlife including wolves, bears and deer. You do have a weapon and bow/arrows but the focus is on exploration, not violence. I tried to make it as 'explorable' as possible, because I want to give people a place to go and relax, a small virtual world in your pocket. Here's my official description:

LOSE YOURSELF IN A VAST OPEN-WORLD FANTASY WILDERNESS

Experience total freedom as you run, swim and even fly anywhere in a large 3d world, unlocking new abilities and learning the legends and lore of BrightRidge. Explore a world where violence is optional and exploration is the key. Discover BrightRidge explore its beautiful forests, raging rivers and mountain peaks.

DISCOVER THE SECRETS OF THE FANTASY WILDERNESS

- Explore an open world. Go anywhere anytime from the start.
    - Unlock new powers through interaction with the environment
    - Walk, run, swim , teleport and fly through gorgeous natural landscapes

INTERACT WITH THE NATURAL ECOSYSTEM FILLED WITH WILDLIFE

- Hunt Foxes, bears, deer and more or use SpiritView to watch them in their habitat
    - Uncover the rich history of BrightRidge by interacting with citizens and landmarks
    - Experience total freedom with Non-linear exploration based gameplay

EXPERIENCE RICHLY DETAILED NATURAL BEAUTY AND STUNNING VISTAS

- Immerse yourself with Complete weather effects like rain, fog, wind and snow
    - Relax in beautiful natural scenery - mountains, forests and valleys, hillsides and rivers
    - Change perspective and Fly through the skies as a mighty eagle

It’s a beautiful open world wilderness in the palm of your hand.

Can you discover all the secrets BrightRidge has to offer?

It runs on iPhone 5 and higher, with iPad support on the way. I hope you'll take a look and if anyone plays it, please let me know your feedback. I want to focus on improving the experience and every bit of feedback helps:)

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    etaxi341, GameTechnix, S4G4N and 3 others like this.
  2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

looks really nice. welldone;

protopop likes this.
  3. protopop

protopop

Thanks James:) It was a lot of work and i'm really happy that it is finally on the app store.

4. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

Wow, It looks great!

5. protopop

protopop

Thanks Joni - making a beautiful space was very important to me. And i've always loved the idea of the wilderness - when i was a kid one of my favorite books was the D&D Wilderness Survival Guide:)

6. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

That's an awesome piece of an explorational (art) game! Very well done! :cool:
    I especially love the Spirit View which is so relaxing, totally got lost in the world of BrightRidge!

protopop likes this.
  7. protopop

protopop

Thanks David:) I like to hear teh word "relaxing" in association with the game, and I really appreciate your support.

The game's doing pretty well - it reached #8 in Role Playing games and has a big thread on touch arcade http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?s=89ae096deed4fabddd09d2a635848957&t=237171

The hardest part has been managing expectations about it being a mini skyrim vs the exploration game it is. I'm glad you describe it as an art game .

By the way im submitting the universal app this weekend to apple. It adds support for iPad Air, 4 and Mini Retina. If you have one of those and own the app you'll be able to update to the universal version for free.

Thanks again:)

David-Berger likes this.
  8. protopop

protopop

Touch Arcade Review

Nimian Legends : BrightRidge was reviewed by Touch Arcade! I'm really thrilled about it:)

http://toucharcade.com/2014/08/12/nimian-legends-brightridge-review/

Update 1.1

BrightRidge has a new update

- Now a Universal App: added support for iPad Air, iPad 4 and iPad Mini with Retina Display
    - Massive optimization: better performance on all supported devices
    - Sharper more detailed textures: 4x the original texture resolution on A6 and A7 devices

9. _met44

_met44

Any intention to port that to Android ? Would have loved to try it out, it looks nice and I really like the idea, great job.

10. protopop

protopop

Thanks met44:) Yes, I'm adding mechanics in updates 1.2 and 1.3, and quests in update 1.4. Then Android support is coming in update 1.5 (as well as MFI support). I've played it on nexus 5 and it looks terrific.

11. _met44

_met44

Haha, lucky one :p

12. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Oh damn, that's pretty sick, not gonna lie. Good job! :)

protopop likes this.
  13. anarionragnor1986

anarionragnor1986

Fantastic design, excellent job!

protopop likes this.
  14. protopop

protopop

Thanks zDemonhunter99:) proudly made with Unity;)

15. protopop

protopop

BrightRidge update 1.2.1

I’m submitting update 1.2.1 to the app store tomorrow, hopefully it will be approved soon. I’m doing smaller but more frequent updates now as i am close to finishing the mechanics before i do the big “Quests” update. Here’s a rundown of the new features

Photo Mode
    enter photo mode to freely move the camera and take screenshots that are saved to your iPhone or iPad’s camera roll. The screenshots in this post were taken on my iphone using this feature. I think it might make promoting the game a bit easier too if people can compose their own shots and share them

First Person View
    You can now explore BrightRidge in first person mode. It looks pretty cool If you attack while in First Person mode your bow becomes your default weapon.

Optimizations
    I reduced the source file size by half and fixed the 300 or so Unity warnings by removing all the obselete code. These warnings in Unity 4 became errors in unity 5 so its all part of a massive code and asset clean up that should make the game much faster over the next few updates

River Splashes
    Now your players feet splash when walking in a river as well as walking in lakes

Splash Screen GUI
    The splash screen options have been updated to match the rest of the game’s option screens

Bug Fixes
    A lot of them

I’ll post an update here as soon as/if apple approves the update. I am already working on update 1.2.2 that brings a cool new feature – portal grenades – more on that soon but it’s a cool new way to travel around BrightRidge.

In the meantime here’s a few more screenshots taken with the new Photo Mode feature

16. protopop

protopop

BrightRidge is coming to Mac and PC.

Here's a few shots of the beta. It includes better anti-aliasing, farther draw distances, increased details and real-time shadows

17. sowatnow

sowatnow

Looking nice and detailed.
    What's the max polycount per frame for this game?
    From the screen shot, it looks more then 100k.

protopop likes this.
  18. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I've always liked exploration games, and this one looks really well done (nice, crisp grass and other graphic details). How large is the map?
    Is it only available for mobile devices? If so, that's disappointing since: 1) I don't have one that can run it; and 2) a teeny-tiny screen isn't going to do this justice. You want a big, immersive screen for an exploration game with beautiful graphics.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    protopop likes this.
  19. protopop

protopop

Thanks sowatnow:) That's a good question. I'm not sure but i checked the Unity Stat drop down and it says 250k Tris (is that the polycount?)

If you're interested it's available for iPad and iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id885657108?mt=8

The Mac version is adding anti-aliasing, farther draw distances, increased details and real-time shadows. But I'm working on a metal version that's closer to the Mac version too.

20. protopop

protopop

Thank you HonoraryBob. It's about 9 square km. Its 2x2km of landscape and another km of water around it. You can swim underwater and even swim with an ancient whale if you can find her:)

21. sowatnow

sowatnow

Yes that's what I meant. Thank you. Looks like you have optimized it well.
    I got an android phone so can't try it :).

22. protopop

protopop

KypherX likes this.
  23. protopop

protopop

BrightRidge Cemetary

One of these trees is not like the other...

24. protopop

protopop

Right now I'm waiting for Unity5 to stabilize before I upgrade, but i am running tests on Mac/PC and IOS metal. It allows for better lighting, detail and shadows

David-Berger likes this.
  25. protopop

protopop

Im making good progress upgrading to Unity 5. There has been a lot of challenges, but as the bugs slide away what we're left with is a very powerful bit of software:) Unity 5 has a ton of flexibility that i'm getting to understand now.

Nimian Legends BrightRidge for Mac and PC

XCO likes this.
  26. XCO

XCO

Lovely, just gorgeous!!

protopop likes this.
  27. protopop

protopop

Thanks XCO. This is from the Mac version of BrightRidge, but with Apple's Metal I've been able to get real time shadows and more running on phones. there's going to be an update soon.

What's cool is you can really run through this place. For whatever reason I really enjoy creating open world wildernesses, and I'm eager to share the new BrightRidge with people:)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    David-Berger and XCO like this.
  28. protopop

protopop

Nimian Legends BrightRidge 1.3 has updated areas, like the shadowy BaedulWood just outside BrightRidge Inn.

XCO likes this.
  29. protopop

protopop

Nimian Legends BrightRidge 1.3 running on iPhone 6

Realtime Shadows, Atmospheric scattering, puddles, realtime reflections, High Dynamic Range rendering, Depth of Field

MotuProprio, _met44 and XCO like this.
  30. protopop

protopop

Nimian Legends BrightRidge 1.3 running on iPad Air 2

I'm still working on the details but so far it can handle almost all the effects of the Mac version as well as full resolution textures. Update 1.3 includes extensive quality options. There's such a huge divide between the performance of IOS devices today that extensive customization is necessary to get the best performance out of your particular device.

31. Sykoo

Sykoo

This looks stunning! I really like where it goes :)
    By the way, it's awesome that you post screenshots of updates and the game footage regularly, it really keeps it all up!

protopop likes this.
  32. protopop

protopop

Thanks Sykoo! That is amazing to hear.

The screenshots keep me motivated too:) I'm sure you know its a lot of work to make something you're passionate about, when i see the screenshots it's like a reminder that i am making progress. It also helps me pick apart and improve the look.

I have to say I am really loving Unity 5 too. It's provided all these new technologies that really help to enhance the scene. I hope that through experience I can continue to improve the world and make a place that's truly enjoyable to explore and perhaps relax in.

Sykoo likes this.
  33. XCO

XCO

Amazing! I have no patience for level design, but I love doing gameplay!! If you ever want to make a hardcore action game let me know :D

protopop likes this.
  34. protopop

protopop

BreesLoom Hill

David-Berger likes this.
  35. protopop

protopop

Nimian Legends BrightRidge for Mac

I've managed to get a lot of the atmosphere and effects into a new HD update for IOS too. All coming soon.

36. protopop

protopop

Animal Companions

The next update focuses on bringing BrightRidge into Unity 5 and Metal, but the one after add animal companions. you can tame them and amass a small army of loyal pets who will keep you company and follow you wherever you go:)

XCO likes this.
  37. protopop

protopop

Baedils

Nimian Legends BrightRidge. Baedils are giant beetles that roam the continent like herds of cattle. Friendly and curious they multiply rather quickly, and are commonly seen attached to rockfaces like gigantic barnacles. Their shell is nearly impenetrable and provides an excellent defense.

Baedils can be tamed in BrightRidge, and will follow you wherever ypu lead them. The Baedil was created for an earlier game and have been a common site in my Nimian Legends universe. I’m really excited to finally bring them into a 3d world, where they browse green hills.

Baedil - the idea was a cross between a giant beetle, a crab and cattle

A curious Baedil mother and her children investigate you by the falls.

Shhh... a small herd of Baedils hiding in the grass

38. -Singularity-

-Singularity-

Beautiful work.

protopop likes this.
  39. protopop

protopop

Thanks you -Singularity- :) I'm really happy with how the world is evolving. It's becoming a bit like an animal zoo. Unity 5's new material and lighting features seemed a bit underwhelming when announced, but now that i've been using them they have all kinds of potential and really add to the atmosphere of the scenes. I'm eager to get this update out, but it's going to be as a new HD Metal version of the game, and I will make the old version free.

40. Smp_ 2k

Smp_ 2k

This game looks amazing, Im very excited to play it! With an update coming I'm not sure if I should buy it now or wait for the new version. I have an iPad air 2 and an iMac retina 5k. What would you recommend?

protopop likes this.
  41. protopop

protopop

Thanks, that's a good question. The update is going to be a brand new binary, meaning it will be a new game called BrightRidge HD, because i cant add any more to the original version which runs on A5 (most of the time and at a lower quality) and up (at regular quality). Unfortunately i have to make a new binary because Apple won't let us retroactively add Metal only support to a game already supported on non metal devices. So if you want to save 2$ I'd say wait for it. If you have an iPad Air 2 you'll be able to run the best version with maximum shadows and full resolution textures because it has 2gb of RAM. The HD version will also be the one I continue to update, and i going to make the original version BrightRidge free but not update it anymore.

BUT... you might have to wait a while. Ive been fighting burnout and have a day job that really busy, so it might be a month or more before it's ready.

Why don't i send you a promo code for the current version so you can check it out for free, then when BrightRidge HD is ready if you pick up a copy for Mac or IOS that will help me out:) Promo codes are disabled for a few hours today so ill send it over later today.

EDIT: sent! hope you like it:)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  42. protopop

protopop

Nimian Legends BrightRidge HD -iPad Air 2 Screenshots

The update is going really well. Im more than half finished the options, and i thought id show some screenshots of me running around on an iPad Air 2. Brightridge HD (i still need a new name) runs on any A7 or higher device, and has more detail, new vegetation etc on all of them, but on an A8x like iPad Air 2 you can really put on all the detail at very high. This bodes well for BrightRidge on the inevitable iPad Air 3 and more future devices:)

These screenshots are untouched, and don't have any of the extra effects turned on, ill post a few more in the next post that show BrightRidge with some of the new in game options on including Wide Angle camera, Bloom, and Vintage filter. The new camera options let you zoom out very far making some of these wide angle shots possible in game:)

PS ive also been updating http://nimianlegends.com/empires - the setting for BrightRudge - check it out too - every hit helps:)

43. protopop

protopop

Nimian Legends BrightRidge HD Widescreen shots

I really love designing nature worlds:)

These in game screenshots are taken using the new Wide Angle game option and Far view camera distance, making some nice wide angle shots possible. The new dynamic lighting engine also makes scenes like the dark rain shrouded statue possible.

RavenOfCode and pcg like this.
  44. protopop

protopop

BrightRidge HD iPhone 6

iPod Touch 6

45. protopop

protopop

Nimian Legends BrightRidge on iPad Air 2 with new image options

These are also in game screenshots using the new wide angle camera, vintage filter, bloom and depth of field on and the high vegetation setting. A big part of my philosophy is to give players as many options as possible to make the game look the way they want it to, and hopefully enjoy the beauty as they stroll through it (there is also a motion blur that is working really well). Theres also new spirit views and shapechanging powers in the upcoming update:) Im very excited for people to be able to explore BrightRidge in a whole new way.

This one show the motion blur in action

46. protopop

protopop

Nimian Legends BrightRidge HD on iPad Air 2

Flying around in BrightRidge HD, an update to my Open World Wilderness game, with new lighting, realtime shadows and many user options. You can shapechange into many animals as well as choose male or female this time. Ive turn on the vintage filter and bloom - both options you can change in the games settings.

There is also motion blur enabled which looks good on the iPad but slowed down the video capture a bit.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  47. protopop

protopop

Nimian Legends BrightRidge HD on iPhone 6 - FairyWood Filter

Another short flight through BrightRidge, this time on iPhone 6, that shows another preset "style" filter. The FairyWood preset bathes the land in a magical green glow, with strong atmospheric scattering and bloom. You can customize the look, as well as the weather and light to give BrightRidge a unique look. Please forgive the choppiness - the screen recording is a bit slow:)

RavenOfCode and HonoraryBob like this.
  48. pcg

pcg

Beautiful. Its nice to see what can be achieved on modern mobile devices.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I snagged myself a copy of this for my iPad3 the other day and it looks great even on this.

Reading above is sounds like you enable/disable functionality based on some kind of device test?
    What kind of things do you check for?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    protopop likes this.
  49. protopop

protopop

Thanks PCG:)

In the current version that is on the asset store today I divided the support into 2 groups - A6/512mb devices and lower, and A7/1024 devices and higher. I serve up a low detail or high detail version of the game based on your device. The low res version is VASTLY less detailed, because with 512mb its hard to show a lot of detail. This is in part due to the increasing complexity and process Unity uses, because back in 2012 i had a 16 square km open world with dungeons and undersea exploration running on an iPhone 4s. But as Unity has added more features ive found it supports older devices less and less. But of course we get new amazing features in new versions of Unity that compensate, its just good to be aware that things change at a fast pace with both Unity and Apple, and to ry and prepare and factor this into your game design.

I also have an upcoming new separate version, BrightRidge HD, that targets 64bit devices - this is what most of the above screenshots are from - for this one everyone gets served up the same screen, but I am starting with different default quality depending on the caliber of the device. So A7 devices might have a lower density of grass where on the iPad Air 2 i start it with more effects and detail.

I believe it wont be long before iPhones/iPads surpass what the ps3 and os4 can do today. I give it a few years:)

BTW there is a bug in the current version - if you're using IOS 8.3 or higher some of the pine tress flicker blue. Ive submitted the fix last night and it should be in the store soon:)

pcg and S4G4N like this.
  50. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey man, it is looking absolutely STUNNING

Going to buy it and play

protopop likes this.