Search Unity

Nightmare Gates WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Hey guys my name is Jonathan Chris Westfall. I have been working with three other people named Jeff Cowen, James, and Cayleb Thomas. We are four college students becoming game developers. We recently started a project called Nightmare Gates. Nightmare Gates is a 2D top down style game. The game will have Zelda like exploration mechanics including an inventory system with many items you can gain through the game. Through out the game the player will be able to make choices that will change how the game progresses. The choices range from helping a miner find his pick that he lost during a cave in by going through the cave. To helping a monk free a cursed spirit by finding holy artifacts. This is our first full project. If anyone would like to ask questions or give input about what they think about our idea so far go ahead. The more we hear the more we can improve game play. And thank you for taking some of your time to check out our game.

Putting the updates in a spoil list to save room. So just click the box to see out update list

Update List
    Finished basic set up of inventory. - Chris
    Got weather such as rain and thunder working with sound. - Jeff
    Got the day and night cycle started - Jeff
    Mining map started - James
    Farm and Manor forest map started - Cayleb
    About 25% done with farmers quest code - Chris

Tested out a screen recording program and uploaded a new video. - full team

Finished the basics of the new dynamic NPC conversation system - Chris

Finished adding in the starting NPC world roam feature - Chris
    Finished the first part of the Hermit's Cave for the The Rock Hermit quest - Jeff

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    VictorFR likes this.
  2. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

All the following images are just for testing game play and ideas of how we want the game to look like. The style of graphics will change through out development.

Here is a picture of a couple buildings for an underground mining facility. Both you can enter and fully explore. Nightmare gates Underground.PNG
    Nightmare gates Underground.PNG

Here is a simple farmhouse that can be explored inside and out.
    Nightmaregates image House.PNG
    We are working on making it where you can put a rope down the well and explore it.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  3. Eths

Eths

Sounds like a great project! good luck!

4. zenGarden

zenGarden

Borring graphics, another RPG Maker clone.

Razputin likes this.
  5. Eths

Eths

Firstly it's "Boring" not "Borring" :) Secondly it's not about the Graphics it's about the game,I myself adore those kind of games and I dont think it's another RPG Maker clone, because his game didn't show a lot yet.

6. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Thank you for the comment. We are hoping to send small updates about twice a week. Once we get more content I am hoping people will be able to give more feedback. We welcome all opinions.

Eths likes this.
  7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The dirt in the first image (not the rock wall) looks very busy for a texture. It may look alright in motion but from the still it's not that nice looking. If you had some rock sprites or something to break it up it would probably improve the repetitiveness and noise-e-ness.

With that said I really like the roof textures/sprites in the second image.
    Nice job on those.

Keep it going. Will be checking your updates.

8. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Hey guys sorry I have not posted anything recently. I have been working on a few things such as inventory systems and testing to see how I would like the rain and night system to work in 2D. Here is some images that are purely test. They will change vastly over time, but I thought I would show you some photos anyways.

Here is the first test of the inventory window with the pickax that is from one of the first quests you can accept in the game. The window is drag-gable if you want to change the position of it.
    InventoryTest.PNG

And here is a photo of the rain playing in the evening time going on night time in the game. The rain does have sound with it for more realism in game.

RainExample.PNG

The rain does look better in game mode. I will hopefully be getting a nice video recording program soon. That way I can show you videos instead of just photos.

As usually thank you for checking our project out and tell me what you think.

9. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

Looking good

10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Active Presenter is free and works pretty well. I haven't looked into any other because Active Presenter was my first download and it worked well enough.

11. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

I will take a look at Active Presenter today. Thank you very much for the information.

12. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Hey guys another update real quick. Here is a video of the rain starting in game with it starting to turn night time. In the test video we sped up the time cycle so it moves faster. In actual game play the time it takes to turn from day to night and vice versa will change depending where you are in game. It will also change how dark it gets or how bright the sun will be. The video was recorded on my old laptop so it is very choppy. So sorry about the poor quality.

Two more things.

Thank you to Animator2B for giving an example of a free screen recording program and now on when I upload images I am going to put them as thumbnails to save space on the forum so there is not as much garbage.

As usual thank you for checking out our project.

13. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Hey guys thought I would send a quick update. A couple hours ago finished making the basics of the dynamic conversation system for the NPC. What I mean is the NPC will say different things to you depending on what the time of day,weather, and who you have helped so far in previous quests. I will hopefully upload a video either later tonight or tomorrow morning. The video will show the full day and night cycle, weather change, and the new NPC interaction system. So look forward to it and as usually thank you for checking out our project.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  14. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Hey guys here is another update video for Nightmare gates.

This video demonstrates the AI randomly defining points in a preset area and walking to them in a roam like manner. The AI will read obstacle colliders and remap a new path.

I have delayed adding in the video for showing the NPC change their text during conversations depending on weather , time, and so forth for until Saturday due to the fact we are having a local small game dev meetup. I will be showing the start of the project there and getting feedback on what we have so far. We are also thinking of changing how the weather system works and adding regional weather that have different seasons. So look forward to that.

As always thank you for checking out our project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.