Search Unity

NGUI (Next-Gen UI) -- demo final feedback request

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ArenMook, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArenMook

ArenMook

2. otto

otto

3. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Cannot Drag Panel Contents when UIButtons are in Disabled State

This is aimed at other Unity users with NGUI experience (not so much the creator as he's busy elsewhere).

I basically have a Panel that is setup as a horizontal scrollview. The "levels" or rather graphics that represent them scroll horizontally left and right by using UIDrag Panel Contents. They all have colldiers on them and they drag and scroll fine. When I try to put some of these buttons into isEnabled = false states they no longer drag at all? This makes sense because the collider for dragging is now disabled. I would love to use as much of NGUI as possible and not roll my own disabled states system. I like that NGUI allows me to make the disabled texture change opacity or color (without swapping to new texture). How can I keep using UIButtons, make them appear disabled and still keep the swiping left and right functionality on the entire group?

4. FredericRP

FredericRP

Hi JamesArndt,

You could use another value to check if the button must be responsive. What does control your button activation/deactivation state ?
    For ex, add a "isReachable" variable to activate/deactivate them in your component that respond to the "OnClick" event: if it's false, then do nothing.
    Use this same variable to change the color and opacity of your button.

5. DougMcFarlane

DougMcFarlane

@JamesArndt,

Could you create a parent game object with just the collider, and child object(s) for the main button?
    Then disable the child object(s) only, leave the parent game object with the collider active.
    I'm not in Unity right now, can't really remember how NGUI handles buttons specifically.

6. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Hi Guys, are there some tutorials on how to create an in-game HUD, and how to implement the tweening between different menus as provided in the examples? I didn't seem to find any step-by-step guides on the main Tasharen site.

7. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@slydog - Well I did devise a workaround. I removed the actual button functionality from the level graphics themselves (they essentially just become plain sprites). I then placed a small UI button (parented in the same panel so it scrolls with everything), called that button "Play Level" and then just disabled the Play Level buttons rather than the main level graphic. Now I also had to devise my own disabled level graphics (with a lock icon). So really in the end what worked was making secondary buttons for initiating level loading, rather than depending on the main level graphics themselves. Now I am able to have the swiping functionality and level selection functionality. Required me setting up a bit of my own code to disable and enable the play buttons and the level graphics.

8. animan

animan

9. yuze

yuze

Hi there! I need some help please.

In my GAME view I can see the UI. But when I press PLAY it disappears? ANY advice?

I'm using Ultimate FPS Camera!

10. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

I was interested in possibly creating a rotary telephone dial with touch on iOS and was wondering if NGUI had support for a GUI element similar to that such as a dial or something along those lines?

11. Tsurugi

Tsurugi

hi... ngui is such a wonderful product.... buy it and i think it is worth every penny...
    i have a question which is that the the layer in photoshop can have layer style and i was wonder if the text in ngui can have style too
    here are pic example.... the first pic is without layer style just pure color
    the second pic is with layer style $simpe.JPG $simpl.JPG .....

12. ArenMook

ArenMook

You can add it to the font's texture in photoshop before adding the font to the atlas. Please use the NGUI support forums to ask questions.

13. hjupter

hjupter

NJG Minimap is a complete Minimap Worldmap solution for NGUI (zoom, panning, FOW, icons, arrows.. etc).
    See Demos here

14. MetaMythril

MetaMythril

Interesting, your asset store page says that it's compatible with Unity 3.x but the asset store says that it requires Unity 4.1 or higher. I'm using Unity 3.5.7 so I couldn't buy it even if I wanted to at this rate.

15. Tsurugi

Tsurugi

clearly u can see the labels are in front of some of the sprites.....
    i adjust the depth where the sprites are in the front and the label in the back... it didnt work...
    i also use the z axis but when i drag the sprites in front all the label will disappear.... even if i move one of the label before on sprite all the label will disappear..... whats the problem and how do i fix it $Capture.JPG

16. AngryOrange

AngryOrange

HI
    Is there any solutions to make text alignment in NGUI UILabel ? Or any solutions for text formatting ?
    Thank you.

17. ArenMook

ArenMook

Please use the forums for support. @AngryOrange: Change the pivot.

18. Tsurugi

Tsurugi

when a sprite is in front of a button the still works.... what should i do so that the button will not work but when i close the sprite the button can function again....

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  19. yuewahchan

yuewahchan

Over the last 6 months a few developers have worked hard to get Unity working well with MvvmCross.

Now they are looking to share this port - and they'd like to get some expert advice to work out how best to share this onto GitHub.

If anyone out there wants to help, then please get in touch :)
    http://slodge.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/any-unity-developers-want-to-assist.html

20. mohydineName

mohydineName

Hi ArenMook,

What is the name of the font you used for creating the SCiFi font atlases?

Thanks

Stephane

21. Tsurugi

Tsurugi

The uiroot's has a function where it adjust by the height of the phones resolution but can u guys add some lines of codes where it adjust not only the height by also the width so it is easier for developers to cater different size phones or what not..... The anchor is great but only for elements that doesn't need to scaled.....

22. macdude2

macdude2

I am not sure whether or not this question has already been answered, but the sliders aren't working quite as I would like on ios devices. For some reason, one must slide the slider a good quarter of the total slider length before it registers one's finger as having slid the slider. I had edited code on the UISlider so I tried a whole new project and the problem still persisted. Weirdly enough, the problem does not exist while testing on my mac so I assume the problem is with interpreting the touch input. Is there anyway to fix this behavior? It is difficult to use as of now on ios devices.

23. ArenMook

ArenMook

I've said it a dozen times before and I'll say it again...

If you need support for NGUI, please use the NGUI support forum.

It's searchable, has thousands of answered posts, and I check it several times a day. This thread, for comparison, I only check once a week -- and responses here can't help other people as you can't search anything properly in this epic thread.

@macdude2: UICamera has a drag threshold setting. It's 40 pixels on mobile devices by default.

24. macdude2

macdude2

I am very sorry, I was unaware; I will act accordingly in the future. Thanks for the help though!

25. Textfield

Textfield

Hello,

Can it work as in-game UI? For example imagine a futuristic game and i hover on objects which will pop up a ui and gives me data. More like a UI-driven game. If it is possible, im getting it.

Thanks! im a beginner.

26. acruxonamo

acruxonamo

Hello,

I've been using NGUI for about 3 months. Somewhere I read that "if it will save few weeks of programing then it is worth to buy it". Well id did save at the beginning, i thouhg "yea, this is it", but guess what.. i have lost 3 months using NGUI. Yea basicly i had to recode every component there is(even the UIButton because of isEnabled issues and gameObject active state.. this got to be a joke), and now I even cant use upgrades of NGUI because this would mean I would had to check everything, anyway I even would not want to do that. There are soo many problems with this package that I dont believe in NGUI team anymore, and if you are willing to give my back spended 99$ then i will be quiet and I will not say anything about it. Till that time it realy sucks, and there are better packages, just search, or be doomed, thats your choice.

27. unisip

unisip

Hi,

Every package on the asset store has its pros and cons. NGUI may not be perfect, and some design choices you may find questionable. I agree on the problems with activity states, for instance. but when you are using such a packege, you've got to use it for it strengths, and try to work around its shortcomings. Can you name a 2D package that is "perfect" at everything, I strongly doubt it. IMHO, also, modifying the package's code because it doesn't do what you want comes with its risk (and mostly, you are saying goodbye to the possibility of using upgrades of the package). A better option is to discuss it on the forums and see if you can influence the evolution of the package to meet your needs.

Btw, the "NGUI team", as you call it, is just one guy, and I think he did a really good job with NGUI, with a good balance between ease of use for non programmers, and advanced capabilities for programmers.

As for the little black mail about getting your money back or giving the product some bad press, well I suggest you just go ahead and tell how you feel about the product (in fact, you've already done that, haven't you), this is how this works, people tell what they like and don't. To be a little more constructive, I strongly suggest that you post a detailed list of the so many problems that you see with this package. Maybe some people out there can help you out with some of them...

I'm not particularly worried about the impact of your post on NGUI sales. If it is so successful, there has to be a reason.

I'm one of the thousand people who are "doomed" by buying this product, and frankly, I feel it was worth every cent. And whenever I feel that NGUI doesn't fill the requirements of a specific project that I'm working on, guess what, I just don't use it and that's fine too.

28. Taryndactyl

Taryndactyl

Unisip replied and covered every topic perfectly.

I love NGUI for it's ease of use and advanced capabilities.
    That being said I have even made some changes to it to suite my needs, we all must change things to fulfill our goals.
    When updates come out yes it may take time to make adjustments again, but I think a few hours is much better than many months to create my own GUI package.

29. acruxonamo

acruxonamo

First, I dont blackmail anybody I know that this money are lost together with hours spended on improveing NGUI, its just a sound of an iritation. Like you said I just write how I feel about this product to give another point of view for potential seekers of GUI system. And could you stop with the LOVE NGUI thing.. come on, you've got to misunderstood the meaning of the word LOVE, or it feels like you are some sort of fanatics out there.

2.1.2 Version or little later
    1. Clipping planes and draggable panels - this is the worst nightmare, the clipper lives on its own, it can dissapear going in one direction or other, this should be the KISS principle applying to that thing and its not simple...very complicated. Using reset function are also kind of a "you never know what will happen". How come TWO THING move when dragging a pannel? Not only content is moveing but also a clipping panel position. There is no explonation for that, as a buyer I expected ready solutions, not Ideas to rebuild.

2. UICamera for Android disables MOUSE, well... there are mouses to buy for android devices..there are Android Boxes, then why would you do something like that? Even if there werent souch devices why to asume something like that and disable mouse permamently? Unity has set some hepling functions when you dont have mouse it gets touch.. if you dont have touch it uses mouses, and It should work in most cases. NGUI just made Unity less flexible this way.

3. UIButton already said it

4. Not being able to nest widgets... well dont know what to say about it.. IT shouldn't be a problem and yet it is.

5. Camera scale thingy.. it makes Physics not work the way they should because of little numbers which dont apply for some sort of bouncynes. So you have to change default behaviour of Physics to some strange values and even use materials with bouncyness when normally you dont need them. Anyway the scale is strange.

6. Some components take dimensions from Colliders which are 0 when innactive, others do not. This makes creating component little strange, first show it then reposition and resize.. not the way it should work. I was convinced that there is a NGUI team because of souch missbevaviours in UI elements, some are better then others the specific way. Mostly all the components looks like there were not tested enough.

7. The thing that dissaper suddenly, because the 'weight center of a group' moves somewhere (might not be able how to descibe this thing) simple planes are getting lost. There are problems with depth values, I mean in editor they are ok but on mobile sometimes planes dissapear because of tle little global position values(they tend to mess up z ordering even with significant distances like 1f, and even 0.1 should be enough)

8. TweenTargeting..its not KISS at all, its complicated and not working mostly the way it should (activation desactivation problems)

The problem is I bought it because all you guys/girls write that it is so wonderfull, that you love it.. well you could be more objective on this subject, and write.. hmm Its One of best GUI packages for Unity(I agree), but EVEN there are problems with Buttons - and its a GUI package(which should tell something to potencial buyers) and more problems with more complex components. I agree... I've seen worst then that.. but to be honest to rewrite a button its nothing hard, all that NGUI would have very good would be the Atlasing. But I will try another asset that is designed for that and dont scale every object to 0.00025. I am sorry but its not complete package and not worth 99$, not for me ase you will say, for you maybe. Maybe if present components were fully functional then YES, it would be worth IT. Most of YOU just use the simple button stuff if you dont write about all the problems there are with NGUI.

30. mindlube

mindlube

@acruxonamo ...TLDR. I assume you arent using it correctly or dont even understand how to use it. NGUI has it's own forums maybe post some specific questions there? Also the NGUI author was hired by Unity to write the new GUI system, so .. good luck with that! :confused:
    Alex - happily using NGUI for 2+ years.

31. acruxonamo

acruxonamo

I tried to keep this list brief;) its much longer. How come you @mindlube assume that I am not using it corectly? Thats rude. I am sorry but is it forbidden to desactivate NGUI Objects and activate them back and in the same time sett state values to that objects when they are desactivated? Do you know, that properly using UIInput component you could end up having text like that "some text|||||||" because UIInput was forgetting to remove in some cases the cursor char? Probably I am using it in more complex way then You are, mixing many components together and creating them dinamic way. Shurly I am not using it corectly, sorry. I know 4 persons that uses NGUI and they have same problems, each one has its own fix implementations.

32. mindlube

mindlube

OK not trying to be rude. Just a suggestion: try breaking down your complaints instead of a bulleted list of 8-10 points, and instead ask them in separate posts in the NGUI forumshttp://www.tasharen.com/forum
    I assume you haven't quite learned how to correctly use NGUI because of your complaint:
    This only happens in certain cases
    a) when you scale your UICamera- dont ever do this unless you are trying to achieve a special effect!
    b) when you scale any parent object(s) of UI Widgets. Dont do this. Only "leaf nodes", i.e. UIWidgets are supposed to be scaled.

If you look at the NGUI example scenes (about 10-12 scenes btw) then you will see all the objects in the heirarchy are scaled 1,1,1 except the widgets themselves. (edit: and it looks like this is changed in NGUI 3.0, so even the widgets always stay at 1,1,1 always)

Yes NGUI comes with source code, so naturally people are going to make tweaks and fixes too. Perhaps submit a bug report with a code fix, if you found something. Hope this helps. Oh yeah the latest version in the Asset Store is 2.7.0 (and 3.0 just released hmmm) so lots of changes have been happening.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  33. weng8241

weng8241

For now try updating your version to see if those problems still occurs? 2.7/3.0 and 2.1.2 seems like a big gap to me. Perhaps some of the problem occurs because you have updated your Unity to a newer version? 2.1.2 seems to be released during last year and maybe some of the syntax was changed/replaced, causing you some errors??

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  34. lcambiaghi

lcambiaghi

My Unity3D kinect plugin with NGUI integration (Multi user multi hand grip)

35. Warlord4

Warlord4

hi can you help me?
    Can not uderstand what is not right!
    Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class graphicssitings : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     private GUILogic gui;
    7.     public GameObject btn_Options_Menu;
    8.     public GameObject Panel_Menu;
    9.     public GameObject Panel_Options;
    11.     void Awake()
    12.     {
    13.         gui = GetComponent<GUILogic>();
    14.     }
    16.     void InitNGUI()
    17.         {
    18.         UIEventListener.Get(btn_Options_Menu).onClick += OpenOptions;
    20.     }
    21.     void OpenOptions (GameObject btn_Options_Menu) {
    22.         gui.StartCoroutine("FadeOut", Panel_Menu);
    23.         NGUITools.SetActive(Panel_Options, true);
    24.         Debug.Log ("Work");
    26. }
    27. }

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  36. ArenMook

ArenMook

I've said it before and I will say it again. Please use the NGUI support forum to ask support questions. I will no longer answer anything in this thread as my replies here can't be searched, and can't help answer future questions.

http://www.tasharen.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

37. Unitypro44

Unitypro44

Well I am new here but since I was searching for topic (NGUI sucks and found this one) there are things I got to say... this NGUI sucks, I am using verion obove 3.0 from some time, and its as bad as previous versions. For Example...

float prevStep = value;

// Save the raw value
    rawValue = val;

#if UNITY_EDITOR
    if (!Application.isPlaying) return;
    #endif
    // Take steps into account
    float stepValue = value;

// If the stepped value doesn't match the last one, it's time to update
    if (force || prevStep != stepValue)

What kind of condition is that? Is this prevStep != stepValue a joke.. its always the same...
    What for is EventDelegate? Somebody dont know how to use delegates in their original form. Sadly.. I'am not satisfied.
    3.0 Version with such a mistakes.. Read more books please.

38. Ciprian

Ciprian

Is there any way to populate the NGUI layouts from an XML file?

If not, would it be something difficult to implement?

Thanks

39. RavikantSharma

RavikantSharma

Can I translate English to Arabic language using by NGUI localization.

40. chenklein

chenklein

Hi ArenMook Could you please elaborate on how to tweak the UIInput script ?

I tried a few things on the "Insert" (line 864) function in the UIInput Script but nothing seemed to work...
    can you tell me exactly what needs to be changed in order for the input to receive right to left characters?

thanks

chen

41. DevionGames

DevionGames

The last update was so nice, i hope constant values will also be possible without writing additional scripts/scriptable assets as parameters in delegates in the future. It would be great to be able to just add an int, bool, string... in the inspector as a parameter.

I have also tried to add UIWidget components(UILabel, UIButton...) as parameters and it seems like i can not use them.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  42. ZJP

ZJP

LOL, You should ask your former colleagues to remove or lock this thread. Peace and love.

43. Evil-Dog

Evil-Dog

@ArenMook I'd LOVE to ask questions on the forum but since you still haven't approved my forum account A WEEK after I purchased NGUI, that's a bit hard to do isn't it. I've managed with the docs and searching the forum so far but it's far from ideal being locked out like this after buying your product.

Seeing as he answered here months ago, does someone have an approved forum account on the NGUI forum who could gently ask ArenMook to approve my "Evil-Dog" account? It would be much appreciated.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  44. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Sure ... I'll do that today. Also, have you tried sending him a PM on this forum? I find him fairly responsive to PMs.

45. Evil-Dog

Evil-Dog

No but I did reply to the email from a week ago when I created my account, he swiftly approved the account. So don't worry about it but thanks anyway. And now that I read my post, I sound like a douche haha
    Note to self: relax and take a deep breath before posting.

46. TonyLi

TonyLi

Sorry this post comes so late in the day!

Today's 24 Hour Deal is the Dialogue System for Unity, available at 65% off for only $12.25 USD.

The Dialogue System includes support for NGUI (and NGUI HUD Text), making it easy to add great-looking, low-draw-call interactive conversations, barks (with or without HUD Text), and quest logs to your game.

If you've been waiting to buy, the time is perfect because the price of the Dialogue System will be raised in the next release to better reflect everything that this comprehensive product offers. Today, you can get it for a steal!

47. konsnos

konsnos

I had the same problem. Your solution still works. Thanks :)

48. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

49. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi,

In Samsung galaxy tab1 . Ngui with nested panel(1 is for ui Root, 2 is scrollbar, and 3 one is i want for clipping panel for animation with multi text and there is i used 2 font) multi font is not support . font texture is not visible. i simple use 2 panel then this working pleases help. If you want then i send my ticket No also .

i used to font
    (1) Arial
    (2) Cambria Math

Here is my tab specification.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_p7500_galaxy_tab_10_1_3g-3892.php

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  50. hgaur725

hgaur725

when i import got error in the nguieditorextension script of the camera render target texture ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.