Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New User - Please take a second to help me here, could save me months

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by DGaetz, Jan 25, 2016.

1. DGaetz

DGaetz

I am creating an mmo which is not very complicated by any stretch of the imagination. I want there to be two different game modes: an exploration mode - where players can travel a grid based world, gather, fight... but I am not wanting to show any of this with graphics. I am wanting to take a step back and try to restructure this without having to do a lot of unnecessary work. I will have a N, E, S, W section to click and after every choice, a new screen shot will come up. When nothing is at the area you have traveled to, it says simply that. Whenever something like an enemy, ore, treasure chest appears... It will show one single image of the resource you can gather, or the enemy you can fight. There will also then be a base defence mode where players can design and defend their base and/or treasure. My hope is that there can be a central town in this grid based world known as the "main city" where all players can either teleport or fast travel to, and then every other player who makes an account will be scattered randomly across the grid based world. Each character gets one single point on the grid to call his home base. There will be items to help defend your base and even better hide it from people passing by, but I am getting side tracked...

I used to do a lot of coding back in the day of text based games. I am noticing that many games are spending years developing features that seem pointless and tiring to me. I want to create something simple and expand on it. My schedule has freed right up and I have the time and assets to sink into this venture. Every tutorial I find is going into depth about many things I will never use and without really knowing what I am looking for, I am spinning out.

I have heard amazing things about the Unity community, so after about a week of watching videos and trying to figure this out, I will now ask what the professionals think of my situation.

Thank you to anyone that takes the time to both read this and reply. :)

2. DGaetz

DGaetz

I spent 4 years in college, I have done everything from jQuery to php... I am new to this you guys... I just want to know if Unity can be applied for what I need.

If I am not using the right terms or words, I apologize.

Someone please give me two minutes of your time and help me out.

3. DGaetz

DGaetz

If sixty people don't see the value to my question, obviously I was incorrect and I will retract it. I will just focus on what I know for now. I had heard amazing things, wasn't just pulling legs. The whole reason I went to college in the first place was to build a simple game... and am now $50,000 in debt, who knows where it went lol. I am sure a lot of people can relate.

Good luck in your endeavors! Delete post if necessary. Thanks

4. Jamster

Jamster

Well a lot of people read "MMO" and immediately switch off, there's so many MMO posts and very few get finished. On the contrary, I think you could probably manage this, Unity will easily handle the client side and the graphics you're talking about and for the server side you could probably do that in php if you wanted though performance would be poor. Darkrift, Forge, UNET, Photon all of the standard networking solutions could handle something like your game :)

Best bet is grab free things and start trying to build it :)

DGaetz likes this.
  5. jathrek

jathrek

Well, my point of view is a bit different...

If your game is not going to have any graphics (apart from the one contextual image and the 4 movement buttons) and won't have anything to do with physics and things like that, why would you do it with Unity at all?

If you've experience in PHP and the goal is not to learn about Unity but really make this game and make it that way (no graphics/physics/...), I'd nearly advise you to do it with that earlier language. That way, no need to try and figure out UNet or other network library that is probably going to be much too complex for what you want, plus your game will only need to require a browser to work...

Now, if the goal is to make money out of it, I'd say that unless the idea is *very well* thought, the game would be way too "shallow"...

DGaetz likes this.
  6. DGaetz

DGaetz

I liked Unity because of the export options. I spent a long time learning a whole range of things and I am able to pick anything up very quick if I am not already able to do it. All I worry is that I will start investing too much time and then have to throw it all away in order to go the route I originally should have.

The absolute goal here would be for me to have a game where players can get energy and train combat stats, they can leave their house to explore a grid based world where random events and resources are scattered all around and they can also take the resources found while gathering and use them to craft items for themselves or their bases. Main city to trade and pvp, and everyone else is just scattered all around it.

Combat wouldn't have to be anything more complicated than comparing stats and showing some text and the picture of the winning player. The only spot where I wish to have graphics would be the players character profiles and the items and resources they are gathering and creating.

----

Now with all of that being said, I just want to hear some opinions about my goals. I keep hearing about companies of over 100 people developing insane games that almost always end up being crap. Too much emphasis is put on the graphics or effects and not enough time is sunk into the actual enjoyment of the game. I want to simplify it and grow on an idea... something like Runescape and java. For now, I would be happy with an energy bar and some simple mechanics, but I have hopes of expanding.

Is Unity my home, or do I go back to the php forums. Either way, I will enjoy doing it... I appreciate the help thus far :)

7. l3fty

l3fty

Most of the details you've put forward would be covered under game logic rather than specific engine feature requirements. Thus there's absolutely no reason why Unity is not suitable so far. As Jamster hinted at often MMO's use different tech to implement their servers than they use for their clients. That said I haven't seen any specific limitations of UNet which would prevent you managing hundreds of connections. Unity have mentioned they are working on a UNet server implementation which seems aimed at people wanting to make large scale multiplayer experiences too.

My advice would be to grab Unity, and make a week long project to see how you find the editor, language(s) and associated tools. If you find you enjoy using it as an engine, then it will make developing on it a more pleasant experience.

aer0ace and Jamster like this.
  8. K2mia

K2mia

Sounds like you are making a MUD with static graphics - Unity can handle it easily I think.

9. DGaetz

DGaetz

Does anyone know where I could find some good info on this MUD? I have done some searching online and I agree with K2mia's response, has anyone done something in the past that is similar?

10. DGaetz

DGaetz

Bump. Ready and willing to learn anything guys, just don't want to start in the wrong direction

11. Reclusiarch

Reclusiarch

Best intro to Networking in Unity... in your case just make everything 2D