Search Unity

New Standard Assets - a.k.a. Sample Assets, Beta Release

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by duck, Jan 17, 2014.

1. djoshi

djoshi

Hi,
    I have used Cross Platform Input for android car game, everything works perfect in editor but while building it throws these errors..how to resolve this? Please help..
    upload_2014-11-26_21-14-26.jpeg

2. djoshi

djoshi

Anyone Please..

3. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

looks like the crossplatforminputinitialize script is missing a "using UnityEditor;"

4. djoshi

djoshi

No, Its There at top
    "using UnityEditor;"

5. djoshi

djoshi

OK I found the problem. According to Duck above I have renamed the sample asset folder for using java script.. and this is what throwing errors while building... now what to do I don't know..???

6. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

I would need to see your actual project to fix this, It sounds like it is a compilation order problem unique to your project.

7. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

It's on my todo list, I will get round to implementing it.

8. Zyxil

Zyxil

Can we get facing in the AICharacterControl?

I've been trying to figure it out but it eludes me.

9. alvaro-em

alvaro-em

Where did you find the new u5 beta sample assets? I have been looking around and found nothing...

Thank you!

10. wirewheely

wirewheely

There are 2 Beta versions: choose the one on the left, I had the same issue.

11. TAKAKETOUSI

TAKAKETOUSI

Hello.
    Ethan of SampleAssetsBeta of ThirdPersonCharacter is changed to Other models, and I think good Once you How can I run to the front in the motion of Other models?
    Of Sample Assets Beta of Third Person Character the Ethan is changed to Other Models.
    And I want to change in motion running of Other Models.
    I run the game.
    Other Models to a standstill on the spot. It is not possible to move.
    How Will can I do to move by applying the motion of Other Models?
    Please Help.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  12. orcinusdev

orcinusdev

I found a bug within the Car prefad. When you increase the mass of the car to 1000 instead of 1 which is default and you drive and at max speed make a sliding turn and then release the turning key och keep holding the forward key so the car stops turning and just accelerates, the car now gets a jerky turns towards the direction you turned in (in other words, the car doesnt want to accelerate in a straight line). This jerky turning occurs every 2 second. This problem doesn't occur when cars mass (rigidbody) is 1. As the ability to change mass is something important i think this one needs a look up.

To reacreate this problem just open Car scene and set car mass to 1000 and then make a turn and then try to drive in a straight line.

I'm maybe missing something obvious, but it's seems to be some kind of physic related problem due to the wheelcolliders steering correction, but I'm not sure.

It would be good if you could look this up and give it a respond, as this is something critical.

Best regards
    Marcus

13. Erian

Erian

Hi,

Thanks for the assets, I am using Sample Assets (beta) for Unity 4.6, I apologize if these were already updated for the 5 version (I think there is a version for Unity 5). I have been playing around with the 'Third Person Controller' and found some results. Note these are with Look in camera direction from Third Person User Control script off (some things might appear either way).

The character will shoot (often clockwise) when letting go of the input, this is hard to reproduce but once you do if you press the same direction it will happen repeatedly without fail. I believe a fix is to not rotate when the input magnitude is 0.

The character will also slide very slowly (not noticeable visually but if you look at the transform it is) on slopes, turning Third Person User Control off stops it (I believe it has something to do with updating velocity when not moving).

Forward and 'turnAmount' is used as damping setters under Mecanim and due to that it seems they never reach their intended value and after moving will always have a value (not zero) (only from blend tree does values appear this way). I believe it is due to the code saying get to value in X time.

When crouching the height of the capsule collider jitters, due to running code to crouch and not crouch back and forth every frame when crouching. Fix (move a Boolean operation):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void ScaleCapsuleForCrouching() {
    2.     // scale the capsule collider according to
    3.     // if crouching ...
    4.     if (onGround && crouchInput) {
    5.         // The operation below was moved
    6.         // Do not run non crouching code if we are completely crouched
    7.         if (capsule.height != originalHeight
    8.                 * advancedSettings.crouchHeightFactor) {
    9.             capsule.height = Mathf.MoveTowards(capsule.height,
    10.                 originalHeight * advancedSettings.crouchHeightFactor,
    11.                 Time.deltaTime * 4);
    12.             capsule.center = Vector3.MoveTowards(capsule.center,
    13.                 Vector3.up * originalHeight
    14.                 * advancedSettings.crouchHeightFactor
    15.                 * half, Time.deltaTime * 2);
    16.         }
    17.     }
    18.     // ... everything else
    19.     // else not crouching
    20.     else if (capsule.height != originalHeight
    21.             && capsule.center != Vector3.up * originalHeight * half) {
    22.         capsule.height = Mathf.MoveTowards(capsule.height,
    23.                         originalHeight, Time.deltaTime * 4);
    24.         capsule.center = Vector3.MoveTowards(capsule.center,
    25.             Vector3.up * originalHeight * half, Time.deltaTime * 2);
    26.     }
    27. }

The 'turnAmount' variable is radians and has degrees added on (in TurnTowardsCameraForward()). I believe it is used as a dampening effect for ApplyExtraTurnRotation() and then a dampening effect under Mecanim (not sure if this was intended). It is also used as a 1 to -1 value for Mecanim. I believe that 'turnAmount' original value was meant to be turned into degrees (note this will break things using it).

I was hoping for a comment on was it intended (when no turning towards camera) that the character runs his turn animation at full speed when he is 1 radian away from facing the direction he wants to go in. and is there a intended value if not?

Thanks, Erian.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  14. ManAmazin

ManAmazin

hello guys can you explain to me the difference in the current edition pertaining to the character controllers usually scripts were seperate (third person controller & third person camera) now i cant tell which is which(sorta) in the latest release (third person character & third person user control) thanks

15. Hertzole

Hertzole

Just got Sample Assets for 4.6 since the old one is nowhere to be seen any more. That's sad. I've got to say, this is really bad. The old player controllers were the best I've ever seen in any asset that you can get for free but the new one is even worse then the old Character Controller found in standard assets. Why did you remove the other one and why did you make the player controllers so bad? I don't want to hate on you. I love the Unity team but this is just a bad asset now, sorry to say.

16. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

Hi there! Been poking around in the thirdpersoncharacter.cs script today and had a few of questions -

1) Is velocity for the character being assigned in the UpdateAnimator() method?

2) If so, does this mean I need to have a model and a complete set of finished animations ready before I use this script?

3) If I'm just looking to prototype out some character movement in a game, should I stick with the thirdpersoncharacter.cs script (ie. learn it inside and out, building models and animations each time) or should I start with the CharacterController and perhaps move onto the thirdpersoncharacter script when I'm done prototyping?

Would appreciate some advice! Thanks!

--Rev

17. AsianCatLiam

AsianCatLiam

Excuse me could you please fix the 2d character control scripts? It says they cannot be loaded and are compile errors. They are the "Platformer Character 2D (script)" and the "Platformer 2dUser Control" thank you.

18. Cizfroz

Cizfroz

Hello,

I think we really need a clean console after importing this new standard asset. I mean, I wanna see NO warning / error massage on the console after importing. :)

19. santadiego

santadiego

how would you attach a model to the first person controller. All I can find are out dated tutorials using the older "graphics" replacement approach.
    I have a fps with gun as in the fragmas tutorial. now I need to add a character to replace the mesh render.
    do you just replace the "head joint" with a fbx and add animator, but it would interfere with the fpc animator..

20. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

This is the old 4.6 version and will not be fixed. The newer version for 5.0 uses realistic masses for the car that can be adjusted properly.

21. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

Hi Erian,

These are issues that are fixed in the 5.0 version of the character controller. Going forward the 5.0 version of the assets will be the only ones that will be maintained.

22. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

The Standard assets now uses a different system. It is generally three parts, the logic to drive the controller, the logic that provides input to the controller and then a camera.

In the case of the Third person character. You would have the ThirdPersonCharacter ( this would be the controller ) then the ThirdPersonUserControl ( the input to drive the controller, this could also be the AiCharacterControl script ) and then camera which would likely be the freelookcam script. For the camera however you are better off looking at the camera prefabs.

23. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

Can you be more specific with the issues you have with the changes? We always appreciate feedback from users but we need to know in more specific detail. Please be aware though the assets will likely only be updated in the 5.x version from now on. They were never really meant for 4.x, and were only released to gather early feedback.

24. Hertzole

Hertzole

The problems I think the newer Sample Assets' character controllers have is that the rigidbody character just seems like your are floating above the ground. The "old" rigidbody character had head movement, realistic movement and all that good stuff but the new one is just like the first character controller for the standard packages but even a bit worse. The new character controller that is using the character controller seems to be grid based when you play with it. Kinda like if you just tap W it moves a specific amount. That is the problems I can find with the new one for 4.6. The old ones were better. As I said in the previous post, don't want to hate. Just expressing myself.

25. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

The new Rigidbody First Person Controller has head bob, perhaps you just need to increase the defaults to make the effect more pronounced. We actually dialed it way back as out internal QA found the amount of bob nauseating.

Yes the new first person controller that uses the character controller lacks an implementation of momentum. It's something that is on the TODO list but wasn't deemed to be essential because the Rigidbody version has that effect.

26. Maethorion

Maethorion

Great assets, although you could add some sort of warning about importing the package into your current project. When I imported the assets, first of all it crashed my unity. After I restarted my system I noticed that the the import had screwed up my project settings (layers etc). After 30-45 minutes of working haven't managed to undo all the damage caused by the importing of these assets...

EDIT: Finally did it, took me around 1 hour or so, got a lot easier after I deleted all of the unused default assets. Now that I was able to import them properly through a new project everything is running smoothly :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  27. alienheretic

alienheretic

I agree also maybe a run slide, ladder climbing, zip line ect things that almost all fps games in terms of movement

28. jashan

jashan

Ooops - I've just noticed that apparently we lost SmoothFollow from the old Standard Assets. Do you have any replacement for that already included or at least planned?

29. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

There wasn't but I will upgrade the old one and add it in ASAP.

30. 00christian00

00christian00

I found a bug in the Car AI. If the target is something unreachable, like very near to the car but not in front( a situation where normally car must either take a wide and long turn or use the reverse), the AI instead try to make a very short turn and thus is unable to reach the target and it run in circle forever.

Another bug, more like a leftover.In the character AI example there is some collider where there is no mesh, so the seem to character stop for no reason.
    Also why doesn't the AI stop over the target like the car AI? The human AI stop in front of the target.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  31. 00christian00

00christian00

Another thing, please enable keyboard input inside the editor regardless of the chosen platform.
    Right when you chose android or ios keyboard input is disabled and you need to rely on the unity remote for everything.

32. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Why cant you give us an .unitypackage so we can use a download manager, unity downloader sometimes is really slow

33. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

In the Rolling Ball sample if I hold an arrow and jump the ball will lose speed and stop until I hit the arrow again

edit:it seem the horizontal &vertical value reset to 0 after jump whether the Cross_Platform_Input used or not

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  34. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Really guys, why??? just why???!!!
    ethanweirdbonePivot.PNG

35. Mi_Gr

Mi_Gr

Hi,
    in CharacterThirdPerson scene example, after turn to mobile both TouchPad (it's the DualTouchMobileControls prefab) works only with two fingers or more (Move part and Cam part) ... and touches are not limited at one of these?! I've tried it also in a fresh project, same issues. The old beta (with GUI, not uGUI) works fine ... Please give us an working update!
    Thanks in advance and best regards
    Michael

36. Pedro-Alaiagames

Pedro-Alaiagames

Hello!

Where is the camera object exactly instantiated? there is no camera object on camera prefabs. But when you instantiate a camera prefab like "FreeLookCameraRig" the camera appears automatcally. How it is done?

Thank you very much

SOLVED
    Im a dumb. The prefabs only shows 2 levels of hierarchy. The camera is there but is not showed.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  37. pixxelbob

pixxelbob

Hello, I was following the Merry Fragmas Live training archive by Mike Geig.
    He uses these sample assets for the first person controller.
    The version he used in the tutorials seems quite different from the current 1.0.1 version available on the store.
    The code is very different in the FirstPersonalController script. and the default movement behaviour is weird, it's very fast and jumping goes crazy hight.

I'm guessing you've made further changes since 1.0.1 so maybe this has changed again, but just thought i'd share my experience as you were taking feedback.

Here's how it looks:

38. pixxelbob

pixxelbob

I managed to break the Car driving demo.
    Basically I ended up half on my roof ontop of some of the white boxes.
    The self-righting mechanism managed to stick the car into it's front bumper like so with it driving itself:

39. Nubz

Nubz

Unfortunately this has been ruined by whoever decided to make everything inherit or rely on half of the package.
    Almost impossible to take things out of the package and use them in a new project because you have to take 50 scripts you don't even need with you.
    Can someone explain why this was done?

On a different note I realize that this is just a beta and nothing is final just giving my feedback.

Besides I do like more than one thing about it and am excited about the ay too old outdated assets being updated.

40. mumyachan

mumyachan

Following this tutorial
    http://japan.unity3d.com/developer/document/tutorial/2d-shooting-game/mobile/04.html
    tried to use
    CrossPlatformInput.GetAxisRaw("Horizontal")
    the console said,
    Assets/Scripts/Player.cs(30,27): error CS0103: The name `CrossPlatformInput' does not exist in the current context
    seems like my project does not recognize the imported scripts.
    Tell me how to fix it.
    environment:Windows 7/Unity 4.6.1f1
    Thanks.

41. Choster

Choster

Why it's so slow to download from Unity Assets Store???

42. twobob

twobob

TL;DR

Can we please have an OUT mechanism on Spherecasts so it may be passed to a predefined, cached, array variable.

So anyway. After reading - for the second time many pages on the subject of this update.
    I would like to ask about performance.

The AutoCam script kicks out 80b garbage every frame, this slow but relentless leak is enough to lock up a very modern 8.1 tablet in around 3 mins with the everyday clutter of unity on top.

I understand that many users may have targets where this is not a problem, however some of us do.
    MoreGarbage.JPG

I just made a fish tank with 200 fish in it, the Third person cam with object avoidance, (and very little else)
    I ran it a couple of times through on a few tablets and it locked a couple up (to the point where they gave memory warnings). The only garbage generated is pictured. As far as I can make out none of it is "mine". just the nasty spherecasts. (what does it work out to? 4k a sec or something?)
    NotMyGarbage.JPG

Tracing it back the garbage was the Physics SphereCastAll and OverlapSphere in the autocam.
    (And some Dock thing, which only produces garbage [32b] when profiled "in-editor", so I surmise this is Unity Editor overhead and can be ignored)

I thought I read somewhere that "Unity goes to great lengths to ensure that all it's default components do not generate garbage" but this issue has been around for ages :\

Can we get a clean-up, or a garbage free version? as noted here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ga...-in-the-asset-store.140673/page-2#post-964854 even in large, well thought out projects this begins to become a pain.

So: should I say, will this array be able to be passed via an OUT mechanism maybe to a predefined, cached, array variable.

In the end, this is particularly disappointing as the new physics system makes using larger numbers much more possible however at these levels such background detritus becomes extra critical.

As you can see on a desktop the actual performance is excellent as the GC model finds such levels trifling (Hence no-one complaining), can we please pass it out to a predefined array?
    nicePerformance.JPG
    Many thanks.

("StaticCollider.Move() fix" fan-boy here)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  43. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Finally finished the download.Is it just me or anyone find all the new character control script not work at all for mobile (work perfect for pc through).Only jump button work for 3rd &1st character controller, even the simple rolling ball seem to not support multi-touch

44. EiKON-Andy

EiKON-Andy

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with the new First Person Character controller in the 4.6 standard assets. I've set up a 2-camera character as described in the Merry Fragmas videos and have added a weapon attached to the gun camera. However, I can only get it to shoot straight ahead, rather than where the gun camera is pointing.

I've tried doing a debug.drawRay to see where it is pointing and it seems that transform.forward always points perpendicular to the main gameobject, except for certain directions where, bizarrely, it follows the angle of the gun camera just fine.

Can anyone point in the right direction to get my weapon firing correctly?

Thanks!

45. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

This package is a nightmare to download and get working (Unity 4.6.1f). The package is enormous. Could you create some additional package that only include specific pieces. This will make it so much easier to use in my own game, even if I'm just prototyping. As you've outlined, you have a First person Character, Third Person Character, 2d Platformer, Camera Rigs, Car, Aircraft, and Prototype Environment. Having all of those as their own packages to load up individually with the AI examples (for each specific one) included would make it so much more useable. Then, if I want to see how you created a car with multiple Camera Rig settings, I can just download that package.

Hope that makes sense. I for one, would really like this to be easier to use like all of your prior Unity packages.

46. twobob

twobob

To be fair it should really be judged on how it is implemented in 5, since that is the near focus and likely maintained benchmark. Which is quite slick and is taxonomised from the menu.

The 4 experience could be smoother but with a little digging it is all there.

I tended to just rollout a full fresh project for the actual SampleAssets package updates. Then cherry pick from the existent structure via simple folder copying. Whilst this may have been far from fast in the first instance, over time I feel this was faster than divining the long winding TreeView every time only to miss a vital script or some other minutia. Was also easier to search through, locally and with toolage.

Perhaps this approach will aid someone else. Thus I am sharing.

47. Globalguy007

Globalguy007

I'm attempting to utilize unity haha and the assets looks good so I have downloaded it. Unity is still greek to me but it will change in time..........

48. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Right, I would love eg: a CrossPlatformInput "standalone" package, who brings in just what you need to make your inputs cross platform.

I have a question about this for you guys:
    Does the CrossPlatformInput class also take in account Accelerometer / Gyroscope mobile inputs ?
    Or that class is intended only for Virtual Joypad DPAD mobile stuff ?

Thanks

49. twobob

twobob

Yeah. pretty sure it does.

The Tilt car demo works on accelerometer data OOTB. tested. Android

Cant quite recall what was required completely to handle just Cross Platform Input.
    IIRC at its core it was just a few abstract files and a compiler flag maybe.
    Generally I would pull in all the controllers, a 1st or 3rd person character, possibly a vehicle if relevant and everything else was extras.

Aside: Also, IIRC I would immediately limit the size of the enormous toushcreen overlay that would get generated, wish there were more sensible Android defaults sometimes.

Hope it helps

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  50. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

What's IIRC by the god sake :D ?
    I'm trying now to compile from a fresh folder with just the sample assets, on mobile, and see what happens.
    Perhaps I'm missing something somewhere :p