Search Unity

New RPG Tutorial series - Produced by HardlyBriefDan

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by supamigit, May 14, 2014.

1. supamigit

supamigit

Well i wanted to give a marketing boost (non profit or donations, sure he wouldn't mind lol) to a fellow game designer.

Since his first video, HBD has been more like my personal teacher...
    for some ODD reason he has lack of video views and followers.

DONT ASK ME WHY...

but i feel the community are missing out on a REALLY great set of tutorials..
    Most start with the visuals then after a lot of fiddling try to CRAM the coding in besides that..

HBD has managed to start from a coding point first, getting the ground work first then moving to the visual aspect..
    heres the great part...

HIS CODE ACTUALLY WORKS..

Unlike most i have found... His videos of what you see Verse's what happens is flawless..
    i think i hit 2 roadblocks and 1 of those was a application bug.

Im surprised with all the requests to RPG tutorials you are not taking Advantage of this great Designer..
    i will be post my results and maybe this will inspire you like it has me...
    Now i'm not a visual Designer and i've made do with what i got. but his tutorials have added character that most tutorials lack ...

thanks for reading watching or just listening in

Get down with this Adventure.. we have saved you seat...

Tutorial List so Far and Growing
    Youtube
    Im storing files Here as i go along.... as i lost my last set im now redoing at Video 6..
    leaving code and screeny at my drive (shared dont Abuse n Stuff etc Blah blah)

My Share

Beginners to Intermediate - knowledge Gained PRICELESS
    I Decided the list is soo Long now that its better to go and watch them..
    1-74 Everything from Statistics to Controllers to Levels and Algorithms. Enjoy

Adding a brief so you can see if this is worth it for you..
    Classes and inheritance - stats etc
    Saving and Loading - serialization
    Character Controller
    Camera Controller
    Stat allocations and Leveling - Stats extended
    Turn based battles - not sure his direction to end but is GOOD code to have if thats your route
    Inventory System
    Day and Night Environments
    Stats Ability Extended
    Enjoy I am =)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. supamigit

supamigit

78 Videos and counting new video will be posted soon, Great teacher.. and seems like he has settled and has thrown in a twitter account for faster responses.. Great job

My work below :
    Up to Video 22 - and tried to add some ambience and well visual objects, but the major thing is the scripts and the backend thats being produced to make the game so to speak... Im totally new to this and well and SUPER proud so far..

My Produce - Check it out

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    _Pharaoh, KingLlama and RealSoftGames like this.
  3. Akira_san

Akira_san

Well there are interesting ones there, but im more into the js.

4. supamigit

supamigit

Oh well theres plenty of JS ones... let me know if you need a link.. thanks for reading he really appreciates the feedback

5. outtoplay

outtoplay

They are nicely done. Good work!

6. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Cool, soon i have time i will follow you tutorial, to bad is not JS \ UnityScript.

7. outtoplay

outtoplay

Gotta let go of the JS, even Brackey let go... Takes a few days, but totally worth it.

RealSoftGames likes this.
  8. Akira_san

Akira_san

Can you explain why its worth? im more of an artists than a programmer.

9. outtoplay

outtoplay

- Well, the majority number of plugins (assets), are written in c# not JS, so you could tweak to taste.
    - Unityscript aka JS, is more of a customized bastardization, C# has a Unity feel, but it's C#. It's the same programing language used outside Unity and the resources for it are near endless.
    - C# is indeed a bit stricter, Unityscript is pretty forgiving as to variable type and such. You'll become a better coder.
    - Almost all the new Official Unity training is presented in C#, as is most other pro training available.

You can use JS for sure, but I was you. A pure artist for 15+ years. Programming anything was a nightmare to even consider. But you get it...slowly, but it comes. Shocking really.

ChrisSch likes this.
  10. Akira_san

Akira_san

outtoplay, you convinced me! Gonna have to upgrade my C# skills and this rpg tuts are just what i need for my rpg game project.

11. supamigit

supamigit

Yeah i agree after your question i did some research and apparently JS like to THINK for itself and fix the errors you make... also trying to fill in gaps = MAJOR ERRORS later that don't seem to have a reason why they are ERRORING... I can see this being a issue...

C# has a strict if you screw the code it just wont work.. no help, just debug code but..... when you get it right its RIGHT FOREVER... no faking the code etc...

also like OUTTOPLAY stated most after unity use C# not JS for most things.. Application, games etc.. Thanks for taking interest i know the Teacher of this set will appreciate the Subs and Views... ps Next Vids been posted

12. Shoat

Shoat

I have started with this tutorial series, and I have a slight concern:

It appears he's planning to make the graphics 3d (later on when he gets to graphics), but my rpg project is going to be in 2d.
    Will that be a problem at some point? Because the rest of the tutorial (all the background RPG mechanics) should be really useful regardless of whether a game is 2d or 3d.

13. Member123456

Member123456

You said it yourself. Most of the stuff he is doing should really help you get a base for your game, whether is 2D or 3D. Still might be worth following the whole series though, never know what you might learn. The 2D stuff, should be relatively easy to figure out if you can understand the 3D stuff.

14. supamigit

supamigit

yeah im interested in the backend scripting hes using can be implemented to any controller.. 2d means slight changes for colliders etc or rigid bodies not sure which hes going for but im in for the long haul.. welcome to the group.

15. AlverniaOfficial

AlverniaOfficial

I really appreciate you putting this up here as most other RPG tutorials I've found are JS and after reading about it I've wanted to learn C#, this tutorial will get me started on making the backend stuff, which honestly is more important than just making levels IMO ;)

Thanks Supamigit! I look forward to seeing your progress as well as HardlyBreifDan's

16. Bubbol82

Bubbol82

Hello im trying to do the tutorials but i cant see well the code on screen when he is typing,he could put also a written file of the code?thanks

17. S3dition

S3dition

I like how he goes right into more advanced code instead of the usual "here is how you apply a basic move code to a cube. There, now you're ready to make a game!" type of tutorials. It starts out with class inheritance, enumerations, and getters/setters, which is nice.

I'll definitely follow him. If you're new, I recommend doing the same.

Change the youtube setting to 1080p. Make everything nice and clear.

18. Bubbol82

Bubbol82

Ok thanks

19. Kev1807

Kev1807

Hi dear fellows,

I cannot make the script work ...

I get the cs0102 compiler error_ The type BaseCharacterClass already contains a definition of CharacterClassName

I think the error is caused by the "double-defining" of the CharacterClassName

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class BaseCharacterClass {

private string CharacterClassName; // if I comment these
    private string CharacterClassDescription // two lines out, all errors disappear ... but in the //video he does not do so ...

private string CharacterClassName{ //this is were the error occurs
    get{ return CharacterClassName;}
    set{ CharacterClassName = value;}
    }

private string CharacterClassDescription{
    get{return CharacterClassDescription;}
    set{CharacterClassDescription= value;}
    }

private int stamina {
    get{ return stamina;}
    set{ stamina = value;}
    }

private int endurance {
    get{ return endurance;}
    set{ endurance = value;}
    }

private int strength {
    get{ return strength;}
    set{ strength = value;}
    }

private int intellect {
    get{ return intellect;}
    set{ intellect = value;}
    }

}

I'm also unable to make the video show in 1080p (with other videos there are no problems at all)

20. supamigit

supamigit

Your missing alot of " ; " in your code, the end line characters.

private string CharacterClassDescription = private string CharacterClassDescription;
    also your getters and setters , pay attention to your first intellect must be capitol and rest lowercase
    private int intellect {
    get{ return intellect;}
    set{ intellect = value;}
    }

Try that and get back to me supamigit@gmail.com

21. Kev1807

Kev1807

While I solved the issueabove , I now have trouble, getting the CreateNewWeapon Script to work. There is no error message displayed, however when I hit the Play button after attaching the script to the main camera nothing happens. Attached you can find my code:

edit: I've tried to add several other Debug.Log actions (printing the ItemDescription f.e., but it won't work ... or let's say not show on the debug console)

22. MrBacon

MrBacon

Hi Kev,
    you have to use lowercase or another name for your member variables

private string characterClassName; // if I comment these
    private string characterClassDescription // two lines out, all errors disappear ... but in the //video he does not do so ...

private string CharacterClassName{ //this is were the error occurs
    get{ return characterClassName;}
    set{ characterClassName = value;}
    }

private string CharacterClassDescription{
    get{return characterClassDescription;}
    set{characterClassDescription= value;}
    }

change this also for other methods never use the same name for member variables and methods.

23. matthewr

matthewr

I've been watching his videos and they are great. I've learned a lot.

I hate that he stopped making videos two months ago, though.

24. Gloomshroud

Gloomshroud

I recently ran into his tutorials as well. Even as of this writing they are still solid gold, starting with #1. This guy needs some more Unity Community love.

supamigit likes this.
  25. GICorp

GICorp

I will definitely watch these tutorials when I get a chance. It's Good to see how other developer's put together code as I am also going 100% to C#. Great Post Thanks @supamigit

26. supamigit

supamigit

I dont want to take his credit I just enjoyed his flow and added a post.... But thanks im updating the list as we speak.. FAIR few more LOL been a bit on my own trying to use his basis and other to produce a 3d diablo rotable cam etc with stats and inventory and then the best part is using NAVMESH for ai whcih helps tons...

anyways check update post above

27. supamigit

supamigit

This of it as more like ---
    Bar of Chocolate -
    Contains a WRAPPER (the class) -
    that Contains Chocolate (the method) -
    That contains a filling Caramel (the variable workings)

You wouldn't call a "chocolate bar wrapper" - a - "chocolate bar chocolate ".... enjoy nice post btw also i didnt understand that at first...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  28. _Pharaoh

_Pharaoh

Fond his tutorial today and subscribed his channel, his tutorials are good and I will definitely follow them.