Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New projects randomly start in 2D mode despite 3D option chosen...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JeffNik, Feb 2, 2016.

1. JeffNik

JeffNik

Has anyone else been experiencing an issue where, upon creating a new project, even though the '3D' option is chosen, it sometimes opens in 2D mode? I haven't been able to find the pattern - it seems to be random - I always create my projects and make sure 3D is selected, and about 25% of the time, it ignores the setting and opens into 2D mode. It happens on both my home and work machines.

I'd love to find a fix for it - I don't make 2D games.

Nagitch and Cliftonm like this.
  2. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

After experiencing the problem you describe for the first time, I made a mental note to double check the 2D / 3D setting before creating a new project but the editor still occassionally defaults to 2D regardless of the selected mode.

You may already know this, but rather than starting over you can switch the format from within the editor as follows:

1. (Menu) Edit / Project Settings / Editor / Default Behavior Mode = 3D
    2. (Scene View) Toggle (off) the 2D icon
    3. (Inspector) Change the Camera projection setting to Perspective
    4. (Menu) GameObject / Light / Directional Light

Hope this helps

3. foobarius

foobarius

I'm experiencing the same thing. It happens almost every time I try to start a new 3D project. Sometimes it gets it right after 10 or 20 attempts. Deleting the Unity settings in the registry or reinstalling doesn't help.

Just a random guess, but right now I'm running Unity on limited hardware (Surface 3) and I don't remember having this problem on my desktop, so it could be some kind of 3D performance check failing and creating a 2D project as a fallback.

4. giraffe1

giraffe1

I frequently get this bug. I have had it happen for months... Seems to occur more frequently recently...start in 2d mode and no visible sky material. Wish they would just fix this bug already...

5. Gaander

Gaander

I'd like to add, that it does the same thing the other way round too: Creating a new 2D Project often ignores the 2D setting and creates a 3D Project... quite annoying!

shaneparsons likes this.
  6. Skolstvo

Skolstvo

The same problem persists in Unity 5.3.4f1

7. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

I checked again and still can't repro this internally. Always remembers correctly.
    Any more details on this from your end?

8. Skolstvo

Skolstvo

Windows 8. Unity professional 5.3.4f1 64 bit. Completely new empty project.

Actually the bug happened after I made a new project with a collection of assets included. Actually. I can't seem to reproduce it now. It doesn't help the projects I have already started though. Is there a way to change to 3d if the retarded 2d mode has been chosen for me?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  9. FractalCore

FractalCore

Happens to me too, glad I found this thread. Has been happening since 5 came out as far as I can remember. Every version up to now.

I'm on Windows 7 64bit

10. ChameleonLabs

ChameleonLabs

I have the same issue. For me it happens every other time I start a new project. If the last project I created was 3D the next will start in 2D regardless of the requested mode when creating it. Most of my projects are meant to be 3D, so I have gotten used to creating one, then deleting it and creating it again. I know I can change the project to 3D and add a directional light but I'm never sure I have all the settings right. Like the directional light color and the ambient light settings etc.

11. Retruate

Retruate

I have the latest stable version of Unity and I just wanted to note that this is occurring to me also.

I'm running Windows 10 on Surface Pro 4.

12. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Is there a fix for this yet?

13. Retruate

Retruate

I'm not sure but a new version of Unity has been released. I'll install it tonight, since it always takes a while.

14. malvadeza

malvadeza

Have the some problem!

Version 5.3.4f1

Tried finding a pattern to reproduce it, but failed.

At first I thought this happened every time I clicked "Asset packages..." and select nothing on Create New Project window.
    But then after trying to reproduce it, fail!

I'll try to run more tests.
    Hope someone find a fix.

15. Cliftonm

Cliftonm

I have the same problem as well. I have had countless occasions where this has happened.
    I've had it on both my MacBook and Mac Mini, running the latest version of OS X and Unity. I'm going to see if there's anything I can do to replicate it.

16. Retruate

Retruate

It doesn't occur much anymore, but I'm not sure if it's completely stopped. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing Unity?

17. Cliftonm

Cliftonm

You know, I just realized that I need to update it. I'll do that and report back.

18. SquigglyFrog

SquigglyFrog

I havent noticed this as much since upgrading, but it would do it to me EVERY SINGLE TIME i'd go to create a new 2d project. And once it does do that, you can close unity, delete the folder, recreate the new 2d project using the same name and then it will set up properly.

19. Retruate

Retruate

I hope it fixes it!

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Cliftonm likes this.
  20. motoyadius

motoyadius

This bug happens often.
    Maybe, This bug exists from Unity 5.0.
    5.3.4p6 still has this bug.
    I'm using Unity on many machines, this bug happens on every machines.

Windows8/Windows8.1/Windows10

This bug is non-fatal, but very frustrating.

21. shaneparsons

shaneparsons

I'm having the same issue but the other way around (want 2D, given 3D).

Unity 5.3.4f1 - Macbook Pro

22. Brocan

Brocan

Same here, very long time ago problem. Editor starts randomly in 2D mode although every time the 3D is set in project creation. Also pressing 3D to make sure fails sometimes, and checking 2D -> 3D -> 2D -> 3D for maybe updating some kind of weird internal variable, click create and... sometimes 2D!

Annoying :(

Using unity 5.3.4f1 x64 - windows 10 x64, but no matters because this happens since unity 5 and windows 7...

23. Ninjin420

Ninjin420

I can reproduce the same bug when switching from 3D to 2D, then back to 3D. The created project will be 2D, even though 3D is marked.

24. VRising

VRising

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was feeling really alone.

25. tetriser016

tetriser016

Also occurred to me. :(

It was happened since 2015.

My own lousy solution: Pick the 2D option if I want to create a 3D project and vice versa.

26. Petter-Bergmar

Petter-Bergmar

I'm having the same issue. Happened just now, one thing that is a bit special: I'm running on a laptop with an internal Intel GPU and a separate Geforce GTX 980m. The bug occured when I had the computer in "silent mode" (this means internal GPU is used). Unity v5.3.4f1 Personal. The project I started didn't import any library assets.

27. Kub666

Kub666

Same thing happens to me if I try to start project with standard assets. Starting it without assets is fine. Win10 laptop with integrated AMD Radeon card and Unity v5.3.5f1 Personal.

28. calebc01

calebc01

Same problem here! Unity 5.3.4 running on Windows 10.

29. Nagitch

Nagitch

It worked for me. thanks!
    in my case, "Project Settings / Editor / Default Behavior Mode" is selected for 2D. it's definitely wrong...

30. CarterG81

CarterG81

I had this problem. Even after switching to "3D" a long time ago, it still defaulted to 2D.

Here's how I just now fixed it.

Went to options, changed it BACK to 2D, then hit Ctrl-S (save?). Then changed again to 3D, then hit Ctrl-S (save?).

Closed project. Opened it, and now it's defaulting to 3D! Usually with stuff like this, changing the option back to what it's actually doing, then changing it from there, fixes it. (The first time I switched to "3D", it didn't register & remained 2D. Second time, it seems to have worked.)

31. IAMBATMAN

IAMBATMAN

This has been happening to me for a while, I usually create 2D projects but recently I've been experimenting with 3D.
    It's not as easy as just adding a sky box, changing the camera from ortho, adding a light, and switching from 2D scene mode. All the lighting data in the lighting window, about ambient light and everything else is turned off for a 2D project, so you have to turn all these settings on for any of your models to have good lighting. I've reinstalled, updated everything.
    I wish they'd fix this, but it doesn't seem like it :(

32. guneyozsan

guneyozsan

5.3.5f1 Windows 10, 64bit
    It happens almost everytime I start an empty project. It persists after restart Unity, PC...etc. Sometimes it also reverts to 2D after Play/Stop.

33. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

I had this problem before and it disappeared after I installed and uninstalled 5.4 beta. It may have been a coincidence but I am much happier now.

34. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

It happens also in the latest Unity beta 5.5.0B3 and older. To reproduce this you must select first the 2D option, then the 3D option and open. Then it will open in 2D mode. If the option is not switched by the user and is not touch multiple times then it works fine.