Search Unity

New products and prices coming soon

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Update: We’ve listened to your feedback on the changes to our products and pricing and made some changes, please read this blog post for more details.

Joachim has explained our decision for these changes, please see the response in this thread or head straight to the blog post.

We have unveiled our new product and pricing mix here at Unite Europe in Amsterdam. Coming this June, new subscriptions will allow you to target all platforms, meaning that the iOS and Android add-ons will be included.

Unity Personal remains the free way to get started making games. In addition, a new product called Unity Plus will be available that includes a higher tier of all services and the dark Editor skin. Unity Plus has the same revenue cap as Unity Personal. Unity Pro now comes with ramped up services, Asset Store project packs and online subscription management.

Read the full blog post for details on Unity Personal, Unity Plus and Unity Pro. There you will find an overview of the different pricing tiers and commitment periods for each.

If you already have Unity licenses, you will be contacted via email or phone to help you migrate to the new Unity subscription model. To find out when you will receive your offer to upgrade and more details about the features included for each pricing tier, keep an eye on the Customer Migration Roadmap. We’ve provided an FAQ for your questions, and if we’ve missed something please let us know here in this thread so we can address it.

Note: We are reading all of your feedback regarding the splash screen. We're considering a semi-customizable splash screen for Plus. There will be updates in coming months.

More details about the features listed on the Migration Roadmap.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    jashan and theANMATOR2b like this.
  2. MUTTLEY_HAMMER

MUTTLEY_HAMMER

Unity plus still enforces the Made with Unity splash screen. Fail.

4a2e532e, Zentyk, Leoo and 23 others like this.
  3. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Can you please expand on what are the Asset Store project packs? Can't find any information about it on the blog post.

orb and AlanOToole like this.
  4. aNormalGuy

aNormalGuy

I've got two questions regarding the Plus model.
    1. If you have the Plus subscription, are you able to replace the splash screen that's coming up when you start a game that's been build from a Personal version?
    2. If I buy a Plus license for a month (for 49$), after the month has passed will my editor skin turn back to the light one?

Thanks.

5. rpgw

rpgw

I understand the cut off date for ceasing to add improvements and features to Unity 5 but I would like to see bug fixes continue for some considerable time after that cut off date.

Deleted User likes this.
  6. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

There was talk of a 'Pay to Own' version, as replacement of the perpetual licenses. What is the idea/cost of this version?

As people mentioned in the comments of the blog post; previously you could upgrade your perpetual license for ~750 every major cycle (2 years). With this, you'd pay 1500/year, or 3000 per major cycle. That's a 4x price increase. It would be unfortunate if the 'Pay to Own' version doesn't improve on this.

7. kebrus

kebrus

I'm still trying to digest this but as my first reaction I really don't like it. You are making it harder for everyone. I want a good engine with good support. I thought that after the consecutive failed attempts to bug fixing that you would finally move to a moreopen development of the engine itself. (no it doesn't need to be totally open like unreal). yet you are doing the opposite, putting more walls and bureaucracy that no one wants and needs. Why the forced splash screen in a paid model? Why am I being forced to migrate. There's no advantage for me, in fact now I'll need to keep paying you for something I already paid. Why? So you can take ages to put out new technology and eve more to correct some bugs?

Seriously? Who is this for?

8. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

I don't understand the advantages of having a Plus license over a Free license. There doesn't seem to be

The differentiators between all four tiers seem to be very wooly and undefined (do I need plus analytics or pro analytics? Are free asset packs like Level 11?).

If I earn over $100,000 and only make PC games, I'm subject to a 40% price increase for pretty much no benefit.

Also, how long does my $1500 Pro license last now? Does it stop working in 2017, or do I just stop receiving 5.X updates in 2017?

tl;dr: I don't see how this will benefit many people

9. Brity

Brity

so what does this mean for current pro users?

what happens if i dont upgrade to pro subscription?

10. kebrus

kebrus

Their FAQ says you wont have to but you'll stop receiving updates in March 2017.

Brity likes this.
  11. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

The blog post is full of PR-talk. If you cut down the spinning and compare prices before/after, what remains is

(1) a "fully featured" Free version that isn't fully featured anymore, given that Plus (which has the same, crucial revenue limit as Free) now will offer "optimizations",
    (2) a drastic price increase and forced transition to a widely-disliked subscription model for Pro (non-subscription) users.

I have no problem with a price increase per se, this is your right and your choice. But please don't spin this as something else...

4a2e532e, elias_t, BTStone and 8 others like this.
  12. Rukey4

Rukey4

Yes, I'm in exactly the same boat. I'd like a clear answer to these exact questions. I develop solely for PC, so the features advertised are completely useless to me. I'd essentially be paying for the dark UI skin.

spike1 and summerian like this.
  13. shaderop

shaderop

I'm not seeing it myself. Seems like the only real differentiator is the profiler (that is assuming that the "Performance reporting" means that and not analytics). I would still get the "made by a person who lives in his mom's basement" splash screen.

And what about mixing editions? How does that work now? Am I forced as a freelancer to upgrade from Plus to Pro if my clients use the latter?

14. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Well said, it sounds like a lot of PR talk how they helping, Worst way to start Unite.

Also What about perpetual licenses?
    To perpetual license customers: No, you can continue to develop with your current license(s). Your Unity 3x, 4x and 5x licenses are yours to develop with for as long as you wish, however, Unity 5 Pro perpetual licenses will not be supported with new features, fixes and improvements after March 3, 2017. We will contact our perpetual customers with an offer to switch to the new subscription.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  15. summerian

summerian

If Unity Plus doesn't remove the splash screen I see no real benefits.

16. Brity

Brity

Thanks mate.

I was so excited watching the keynote but now i feel pretty S***ty..
    man i know unity needs money as much as anyone but thats a lot of money for pro.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

With the 100K revenue cap, the plus plan doesn't make any sense. The benefits over the personal plan are almost non-existant.
    It would have been much better to have only a free personal plan and a 99$/month pro plan with all the features. You are wasting too much energy in complex bureaucracy.

ortin, Novack, ArnoC and 3 others like this.
  18. donov

donov

Epic Fail
    When will you learn Unity, set your price and make the Pro subscription pay to own, period.
    Stop trying to think of clever ways to rip us off, and fix the damn bugs.

4a2e532e, MS80, elias_t and 4 others like this.
  19. ArthurT

ArthurT

Seems that they are going to remove the personal edition text from the splash screen, but having the splash screen on still would suggest the "basement" part.

Teila and spike1 like this.
  20. shaderop

shaderop

"It would be great if UT could create a paid edition of Unity that costs less than Pro and removes the splash screen restrictions," said the forum users.

"It would be great if UT could create a paid edition of Unity that costs less than Pro and removes the splash screen restrictions," heard UT.

21. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So perpetual licenses are dead, subscription is the way to go if you want to continue using Unity.

Ok.

Time to find out how hard it is to transition a project to Unreal.

Recluse, MS80, QFS and 12 others like this.
  22. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

Wow, what a step backwards... I was a happy Unity Pro perpetual license customer. I think I've invested all my effort in the wrong engine...

MS80, artzfx, KaptenLaknat and 11 others like this.
  23. Rukey4

Rukey4

People posed a similar question in a facebook post by Unity, they replied with:

"There's also a pay to own option, but subscription is definitely a better deal!"

24. Brocan

Brocan

And what is going to be the price of pay to own option if suscription cost 1500$/year? 1500$? 3000$? :mad:

25. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Better deal for who?

Farage, Deleted User and elias_t like this.
  26. Rukey4

Rukey4

Exactly.

27. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Better deal wtf!
    If Unity is going to do this, then customers should demand even more, I feel sorry for the developers as this means more hard work, fix the bugs then if your going to do price increases.

28. arkon

arkon

Epic fail unity. $35 per month for plus that gives you nothing over the free version. You could have at least doubled the revenue cap and ditched the unity splash screen. Time to switch engine for the next game.

4a2e532e, QFS, Sharlatan and 2 others like this.
  29. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

For this price $125 / month the whole Unity source is included, isn't it?

30. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Between the whole lightmapping fiasco (which is still terrible), leaving people stuck to 4.x unsupported (with many bugs I might add), now there's subscription to pay for the privilege of working with broken features.

How do I know they won't change their mind and change the price in a couple of months? What's stopping them from saying "k subscription is 1k a month now and it now includes all of the asset store, no other option kthxbye".

You might say because that would be stupid, but I have zero confidence and trust in them.

They only care about launching services and certifications, becoming a game development "institution".

And I just want a good game engine.

MS80, QFS, elias_t and 4 others like this.
  31. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

Oh, there's a case where 'We made Unity more affordable!' is true though; if you're using the mobile plugins.

Too bad the desktop-only developers are ignored.

QFS, Kondor0, summerian and 5 others like this.
  32. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

No.

33. Brity

Brity

edited out....

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  34. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

What's happening with Level 11?

35. Binary42

Binary42

I bet UE4 downloads are spiking today. -.-

MS80, Pecek, MoonbladeStudios and 5 others like this.
  36. JonRurka

JonRurka

$125 a month for your own splash screen that's a good one. However I think you guys forgot April Fools is at the beginning of April not the end of May.

37. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

There will be more detailed information coming out about the pay-to-own option when we launch in June. This option will be available for existing customers and new customers.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  38. Brity

Brity

lol yeah im downloading right now. I still love unity though I just cant afford it. if unity had released more tools then i wouldnt have to spend so much money and time with busted asset store plugins and would be able to upgrade.

subscription + tools = very expensive and low productivity.

Sorry unity but its true. You milked the asset store too much and left us in a reall mess only to reply with you should have read the Eula :)

MoonbladeStudios and donov like this.
  39. 00christian00

00christian00

So there is going to be a new splash screen without the "personal" wording? Or you will have "Made with Unity personal" and "Made with Unity plus" splashscreen?

40. f4lke

f4lke

So let me get this straight: A PLUS customer pays for your software and you think it's OK to inject your advertisement into his program? Is this some kind of joke? Progressive revenue capping is a good way to go regarding this matter, but injecting your ads is simply arrogant and barefaced.

41. destiny14

destiny14

I'm not convinced yet... If our "perpetual" licenses now stop getting updates next year, will we get Android and iOS Pro for the time remaining? Or will we get the subscription for free until Unity 6 comes up? We already paid for Unity 5.

42. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

I have an old 3.0 Pro license that I want to upgrade to 5.0 pro soon. Am I screwed? Currently it is a $750 upgrade, but I don't want that canceled out now :( This is so much more expensive...

You basically have to pay $1400 a year to get rid of that awful splash screen now. Sigh.

43. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Asset Store project packs - signing up for Pro gets you access to two packs a quarter, and Plus gets you access to one pack a quarter. Each pack contains four staff-picked assets that have been curated by our Asset Store team and grouped into themes.

Ostwind likes this.
  44. Trexug

Trexug

Will Android and iOS Pro remain seperate licenses? If yes, how much will they cost? If no, which products (Personal/Plus/Pro/Enterprice) will they be included in ?
    EDIT: Okay, by reading ahead it does seem like "All Platforms" means that iOS and Android licences are included in all products.

Which products (Personal/Plus/Pro/Enterprice) will include third party version control integration? - right now referred to as a "Team License".

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  45. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't know what the other pro subscribers think about that. But for me those staff-picked assets were a completely useless subscription feature.

46. Ostwind

Ostwind

Seems it's the same for all with "Made with Unity" text

47. Erhune

Erhune

As a small indie team making desktop-only games, not being able to renew our perpetual subscriptions means jumping from 600EUR every 2 years to 1500EUR per year (per person). There is no way we can afford this, so this means we'll have to either use a non-updated Unity starting next year, revert to the free version, or switch engines. In all cases, this is a lose-lose situation for both us and Unity.

Recluse, 4a2e532e, Waz and 15 others like this.
  48. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Thanks for the initial feedback on Unity Plus. Custom splash screen is still a Pro-only feature, what you get with Plus is the dark Editor skin, Asset Store Project Packs, flexible seat management, access to Performance Reporting, higher tier of Cloud Build, Analytics and Multiplayer and Certification courseware. The new splash screen says Made with Unity.

schmosef and theANMATOR2b like this.
  49. Ostwind

Ostwind

Is the new version comparison page available somewhere that is shown as screen shot in the blog post?

50. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

If you pay for one month of Plus (for 49$) and choose to not continue, you will go back to the light skin after the month has passed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.