Search Unity

New here: Point me to the right direction?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by SidScott, Jul 22, 2014.

1. SidScott

SidScott

Hey everyone! I'm new as the title has stated..
    I have knowledge in Blender, zBrush, Photoshop/gimp, and cisco programming (not much use.)

I don't have much knowledge in C, Java, etc, but learned the basics way back when I took the classes.

My project: I want to create a virtual world to make learning Japanese more fun. I'll being moving to Japan in one year for a new job and I absolutely hated learning lists of vocab. I would like to create various scenes a player can walk around in and click objects. When the object is clicked, it brings up a "card" where a player can see the English and Japanese translations. If possible, I would like the players to be able to "collect" the cards. I'm not sure where to start on the programming side of the card database and a save feature.

I have googled for these but I got a whole lot of mess.

Can you link me a tutorial for:
    * "card database"
    * Save feature
    * Also a script for moving a character (found a few but they were a bit advanced for me)

Thanks~
    PS. I have all the models, texture, animation, etc covered.
    PSS. Kept this somewhat brief and not in depth to bog down the thread.

2. T1Green

T1Green

3. SidScott

SidScott

Thanks! I don't plan on doing grammar to be honest, just a fun way to learn thousands of vocab. I will leave it open source though so someone can add to it (and improve graphics cause I'm rushing them)

4. T1Green

T1Green

Who needs graphics as long as it's good? Sure it may motivate but it's the learning it easy that should be the focus. Because if I learn easily from your game then I will keep using it. ;)

5. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

6. SidScott

SidScott

Wow this is such a specific book, just what i need! Thanks for the link~
    I wish there was some kind of preview, but it being only $20 I think I will just buy it.

Edit: Found some sample chapters.