Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New game character rigging tutorials

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Gnimmel, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

I took a break from game development over the weekend to start on a new tutorial series about rigging low res game characters in maya. I'm using one of my characters from the goblin abyss (see signature) to show the rigging process from start to finish and I will also be going into exporting the character and animation into unity.

At the moment I've managed to get 2 videos done, a intro and building the skeleton, but more will follow soon.

I hope these can help anyone who is using maya to create animations for unity.

http://youtu.be/iDZqtTrCOEw

2. Mikie

Mikie

Great job. Did you do the low res modeling with Maya?

3. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

Thanks, glad you liked them so far.

Yes, I did all the modeling in maya, although I hope to add mudbox to my workflow at some point in the future.

4. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

The next video is up. This one covers skinning the mesh to the skeleton and setting the skin weights to work well in unity.

http://youtu.be/N-c5ugtxAN0

5. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

6. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

nice, will you do more tutorials?

7. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

I still have a lot more of these rigging tutorials to do, but after that I'm thinking about some unity only tutorials.

8. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

I just uploaded the latest rigging tutorial to my games web site. This one finishes off the spine controls that where started in the last video.

It can be watched on youtube or my games website;

www.thegoblinabyss.com

http://youtu.be/879_wAH1A-g

All feedback welcome.

9. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

10. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

11. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

12. childhood

childhood

thanks for this tutorials series.

can you please show up how to create animations for this character like jumping, weapon attack and how to jump on ropes or slide to left or right.

i'm looking for a year now forr a decent tutorial that really can work but none is there.

if you can create such tutorial in which creating the weapon rig, attacks and jumping's ..etc and then exporting it in unity and adding the right script on it to work smoothly then it will be reference for any beginner.

if u can do the weapon as bow then I will really appreciate it.

13. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

There is a new maya rigging video up for anyone who is interested. This one adds a new control to the rig to help control root motion before exporting to unity.

It's not on my blog yet, but it can be watched on youtube;

14. Teila

Teila

Fantastic! I wonder if you could show how to add an extra bone, for a cloak or hair or some other added on bit of mesh. I have a tough time finding this. I am sure it is relatively easy, but I am a visual person so seeing it would be nice. :)

15. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

@Teila I have a few more tutorials planned to expand this rig, one being twist joints for higher res meshes and another is prop joints to add weapons and other props to the character.

Hair and capes could be another good one. PC and consoles can handle real time dynamics, but for lower end mobile it would still be better to bake this sort of stuff on export. I could show a way to create a dynamic cape in maya which can be baked on export to joint animations for mobile or lower end PCs.

Actually, perhaps baking dynamics for the environment could be another. I just made a character come crashing through a wall in my game which was done with Bullet physics, but baked down to a joint animation for mobile.

Lots of new ideas :)

Teila likes this.
  16. Teila

Teila

Thank you, Gnimmel! I love the idea of a tutorial to create a cape in Maya. :)