Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New forum feedback thread

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

As we mentioned in the new forum announcement thread, we want to gather all of your feedback.
    You haven't seen it all yet, but please voice your concerns here already so we can initiate the discussion.

aliceingameland likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unicorn rank.

aliceingameland likes this.
  3. orb

orb

Will we get a dark skin for the forum?

Socrates and AcidArrow like this.
  4. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Showing off with your rank already ;)

hippocoder likes this.
  5. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Haha ;)

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

In the interests of feedback and having tried the new forum out, I think perhaps if at all possible, would themes be a thing? Some people may prefer the forums as they are now rather than new answers style or maybe people want light on dark or such... themes?

AlanMattano and Socrates like this.
  7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I hope the search feature allows me to search within the thread I'm looking at. We have some great threads around here with 25+ pages of content, and I just know the message I'm thinking of is in there somewhere, but there is currently no way to find it.

DMeville and Arkade like this.
  8. Moonjump

Moonjump

The current look is overly bright, so a more muted skin would be very welcome (I don't want a dark skin (editor or forums) so maybe options is the right path).

Maybe we will even get back the username capitalisation that was lost in a past update (or is the all lowercase name a badge of honour for long serving members?). I would like to be "Moonjump" again.

9. orb

orb

My username isn't capitalised, so I'm fine with it.

10. Elecman

Elecman

What I would like to see fixed is the notification system. It is a bit of a mystery why notifications seem to disappear after a while. You see apologies in support forums across the board saying "sorry, I didn't get a notification of your post", so it is a wide spread problem. This is going on for a long time and has never been fixed.

Arkade likes this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is there going to be better spam protection in the new system? It seems like every once in a while you get a load of spam that just floods the forum which ends up getting deleted by moderators.

12. KnuckleCracker

KnuckleCracker

Will there be URL compatibility? With all of the (what sound like awesome) changes, I'm guessing not. This means broken google search index links and an internet full of broken links to old forum posts. The cost of progress, though. And it will 90% self correct over time. Just handy to know that this is coming....

The old forum search was so horribly useless I never used it. I mean I tried a dozen or so times only to flee in rage and frustration. But I can't count the number of times a google search pointed back to the forum with just what I was looking for... or the google search pointed to some page that in turn pointed back to the forum.

Deleted User likes this.
  13. Tzan

Tzan

Good point
    In my browser bookmarks I've got 50 Unity related folders, filled with over 100 Unity Forum bookmarks.
    Do I need to start copying text off the forum immediately.

Probably wont get an answer, since its the weekend.

14. orb

orb

URL rewriting is a neat trick supported in web servers. If the new forum supports titles in exactly the same way there should be a way to massage the old links so they lead to new ones, as long as they port over the old posts.

15. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

It will be like stack exchange?

To get readers with patience, since English is not my native language, I wish a optional badget for that: My english is not as good as it should be. || My english is not as good as yours || My english is not as good as I expected. ;)
    Or the possibility that other can edit my question /answer.

Ability to merge Unity Documentation with the forum (as for example is done in php.net manual ). Down to each documentation page (or scripting page) there is a forum thread. The forum thread are note from users (scripting contribution, security or deep explanations). And move the best note to the top by using votes.

16. Baste

Baste

Now that there's been a rollback, will you be making a new thread to discuss the community going forward?

I hope this hasn't been too hard on you guys in the community team - both you and the mod team are generally doing a great job with these forums.

As I see it, the forums are the best part of the Unity community network. They're the easiest to use, and have the fewest bugs and problems. That you guys chose to roll out changes to the best part first points to a lack of communication with the user base.

@Erik Juhl has been making a bunch of official threads asking for input on different systems; the Profiler, the Asset Bundle system, the Audio systems and the Physics system. Those threads were great initiatives! They clearly lay out what you guys want to know, and give a single, unified way for us users to communicate with Unity about a topic where we can feel confident that we will be heard. The only problems those threads had was that they weren't stickied! Maybe you could do something similar for the community going forward?

To reiterate a point, you guys are doing a great job. The initiatives for changes are a good thing, and some of the things you were mentioning are sorely needed (like wiki integration!). But there's a lot of things that are in a far worse state than the forums, and need love way before they do (like UA, or the Suggestions), and it'd be great if we could work together on making those things better.

17. radimoto

radimoto

Thanks again for reverting the forums :)

Sorry to raise an issue, but I am having a problem back on the old forums on my iPhone 6S. It used to respond when I went from portrait to landscape mode, showing me the "New posts" link on the menu. Now when I rotate nothing happens, it's still locked in portrait mode.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  18. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

@SaraCecilia @aliceingameland Now that we are back to this forum, what is the plan going forward? Are we to expect another 'hey in 2 days we are switching forums!' sometime in the near future or are we going to get a say in the matter?

19. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So to sum up what I feel the most annoying features of the lithium based forums:

1. The theme was not readable, It was a bad choice of font that made it hard on the eyes.

2. Too much wasted vertical space made browsing a thread annoying.

3. The "solutions" aspect of it makes no sense for anything apart the support forum. I think if it's re implemented it should only be kept for the support forums,

4. Quoting was terrible. Easily the worst quoting system I have ever used. I guess that's a lithium thing so I don't know what can be done... But... It was awful.

idurvesh likes this.
  20. Murgilod

Murgilod

This and the major feature regressions.

Those were issues I ran into myself using the forums, I'm sure there were countless others that I missed but yeah, Lithium was nowhere near ready for prime time and I'm still left wondering who the forums were supposed to benefit.

AcidArrow likes this.
  21. orb

orb

The price is "ask us for a quote". What do you think?

22. Fenris2

Fenris2

Wow. I just waned to say thanks for switching things back. It takes a lot of courage in an organization to acknowledge 'making mistakes' and to correct them. Also hats off to our community managers, both in thanks for advocating for us, as well as for what was doubtless a less than pleasant ride over the last weekish.

Martin_H and Socrates like this.
  23. TwiiK

TwiiK

Is it safe to make actual posts now? Will there be an announcement regarding the rollback and the future?

I held back some updates in my own threads because I felt the forum changes weren't stable and apparently I was right to do so, but the entire forum feels unsafe now. It feels like you're playing an MMO during the beta or something and rollbacks happen periodically. Will all the effort you put into leveling this day be reverted the next? :p

24. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

I can access my own profile page, but when clicking on another user's profile page link I get the above error message. Did someone forget to reinstate certain forum permissions, or is this just because data is still being migrated back to the old forums?

I can properly quote again! :D I also completely agree with everything you said except maybe #3. I think finding a way to combine the forums and answers would be very beneficial. You don't always know which platform is best and I think it all ends up unnecessarily segregating helpful information.

But you're right that not all content has/needs a "solution". I think the best way to handle this would be with tagging the type of post you're actually making. Like as a question and only questions can receive solutions. etc. Giantbomb.com already has a feature like this where you can mark any post as "Allow this post to be an answerable question." I think that kind of feature would be perfect here.

25. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Xenforo has that as a mod. I have seen it in use on a couple other forums as well.
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/mark-posts-as-best-answer.2107/

26. Ryiah

Ryiah

27. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Administrator

Hmm, didn't realize this thread was on the old forum. I'm going to close this thread but hold tight -- I'll make a new one with some basic info shortly. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.