Search Unity

[WIP] Cute Commando (Run and Gun) - Playable Beta Online

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AlanGameDev, Jul 30, 2014.

1. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Hello there.

Here is a video from the first 'beta' version of my new upcoming 2D shooter for mobile devices. Please lemme know what you think!

Here is a link to the webplayer version. CURRENT VERSION (HUNT MODE): Beta8
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B-imfIHFgQA5S1ZSMnVQY21ncjA/web_player.html

HOW TO PLAY (Updated)
    Controls:
    • UP: Jump
    • Right: Run
    • V: Shoot Straight
    • B: Shoot Nearest Enemy
    • C: Interact (contextual)
    Jump while walking to dodge the bullets (only jump when the first one gets closer so you jump over the whole burst), collect skulls to get points and one heart (HP). When the enemy is dead but in one piece, it's better to use the knife to get their skull so you don't risk shooting it accidentally (just get close to it).

How to play (and win) the Hunt Mode:

Version in this video: Beta7

Normal mode (Old beta3, level 1)
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B-imfIHFgQA5cDNWTjAyd3M2M0k/web_player.html
    Tip: Only shoot the snakes when they're red. It's the only way to kill them. They only jump after they blink when contracted.

For more information, go here:
    wp.me/p4dNL6-15

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    der_r likes this.
  2. drudiverse

drudiverse

it looks very nice, i die on it quite fast. the jumping was abit difficult and even if i shoot all the time some of the 1st 3 baddies survived. its quite action intensive.

3. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Thank you for your reply!

The jumping is kinda tricky, but that level is one of the most 'jumpy' ones, the others are not going to have a lot of jumps like that one. The fact is, to jump over gaps you have be running, jumping while walking is only intended for dodging bullets. That's why the on-screen controls will allow you to hold the run button and swipe to the jump button to jump while running in an easy way. It is intended to be action-packed... perhaps it's a little bit difficult at the moment but it should be easy enough to add an 'easy' option. Dodging enemies bullets is halfway to succeed; that's why your own bullets are tinted differently than the enemies', so you can easily see them and your bullets won't distract you.

I'm going to add a new gameplay element in which when you get close to the enemies (melee range) you automatically bash them with a knife but some of them will also explode and cause you damage... I think that should balance a little bit the game and prevent a little leaving the enemies alive (you lose points in any case when you don't kill an enemy).

4. drudiverse

drudiverse

Yes it's very cool. it was abit early in the morning first time round. i got further this time :)

5. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Pretty cool! Keep up the good work!

I feel like the bullets across the screen are kind of distracting for me. I think I'd much rather see numbers than a huge line of bullets.

6. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Thank you very much guys! :) I really appreciate it...

@Bridin I'm surely going to add an option to decrease the size of the items in the hud and also an option to make them translucent... if the bullets are really that bad i sure can add an option to have a number there instead.

I've also updated the game mechanics a little, now when the player gets close to an enemy he will stab him with a knife that deals massive damage, the enemy will try to jump over the player to avoid that sometimes.

I'm also revamping the sounds and visuals a little and I'm going to update the webplayer soon.

7. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Hello guys!

Beta3 is out!

Better sounds, some new graphics, and new mechanics! Now when you get closer to an enemy you will automatically stab them with a knife dealing massive damage! Some difficult parts for this 'level1' were balanced also.

Please lemme know what you think! Any input is welcome!

WEBPLAYER: https://googledrive.com/host/0B-imfIHFgQA5cDNWTjAyd3M2M0k/web_player.html

8. babaji1234

babaji1234

Wow! Your game's remarkably similar to my game 'Peep Wars', it also is a 2D shooter cartoon game. Also, your game looks pretty good and polished.

9. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

@babaji1234 Thank you! Your game seems quite cool.

I've just rolled out the beta4 version, in this version you don't play the level1 any longer, you play the 'hunt mode', you're in a never-ending forest and must survive as much as possible.
    This mode is going to be unlocked in the final game by liking my page on Facebook. :).

It's still quite simple but it's quite enjoyable already if you ask me, here is the link:
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B-imfIHFgQA5QjBVT1c0QXlyTDA/web_player.html

Please comment! :D

10. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I think your whole game looks like it's in slow motion, which decreases the engagement.

11. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

@imaginaryhuman Thank you for your reply. There are a number of things to take into account though. The bullets of the enemies are slow because dodging them is core part of the mechanics, they are 1/3 the speed of the player's bullets, in the hunt mode, you're using the shotgun ('crossberg') which shoots the slowest bullets in the game, an assault rifle with the 'full metal jacket' powerup shoots bullets 6 times faster. Also, the game is intended for mobile, so the response time isn't the same as a keyboard/physical controller.

These are early beta builds and I really appreciate any comments as I'm surely going to take that into account... perhaps an option to make the game faster? What exactly is 'slow' in your opinion, the bullets, the movement, fire rate?

Thank you

12. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

13. babaji1234

babaji1234

BeliarTheEvil the game looks pretty fun, but weird lines are showing up all over the screen, I don't know if it's a bug in your game or a bug in Yosemite, here is a screenshot-
    Screen Shot 2014-08-02 at 9.50.25 AM.png

14. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

@babaji1234 Thank you for your reply. I don't have any idea on what could be causing this problem but I've seen that before as an irc user reported the same problem.

I thought the bug were caused by the large textures but since beta 3 I'm limiting them to a safe size and the problem persists. I'm pretty sure this is an unity bug because I'm not doing anything abnormal on the rendering part and that looks to me a rendering issue.

I really appreciate your bug report. Perhaps if your could tell us your your system specs that would help even more, specially the graphics card.

Thank you.

15. babaji1234

babaji1234

Sure,
    OS - OSX 10.10 Yosemite
    Ram - 8 GB
    Graphics - Intel HD 3000 - 512 MB
    Hard Drive - 500 GB

hope it helps.

16. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

17. babaji1234

babaji1234

18. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Thank you. Tell me how you want your credit to be displayed in the 'special thanks'. :)

19. babaji1234

babaji1234

Hey! Thanks for the credit! Just name 'Adhiraj Singh', Thanks!

20. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

I have to second this. I realize it's a game mechanic (dodging) but I wouldn't play it for this reason (being in slow motion.) That may just be me though.

The game looks cool other than the slowness part. :)

21. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

@Lostlogic Thank you for your reply. The problem is when I'm testing on Android devices, even at this speed the game is already very hard... in any case I'm going to make the bullets and the running speed a little bit faster for the next releases.

22. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

Maybe have a button you can touch that puts you in slow-mo mode? Sort of a bullet-time mechanic.

23. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

I don't know... that sounds too complicated for the average mobile gamer... also, if there's going to have a kind of bullet-time and the bullets were going to be really fast, you'd need a very low response time... I thought about having a kind of automatic bullet time so only when there are bullets coming the thing would be in slow-motion, but that completely breaks the gameplay experience, which have to be consistent... and that's completely unnecessary when you have action-packet levels.

I think adjusting the bullets and running speed will do the trick....

Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  24. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Hello there.

I just rolled out a new version (Beta 6) now with faster bullets and running, some bugfixes and new elements (yay, running trail! :)).

Personally, I didn't like the faster bullets, perhaps i'm just too slow but that rendered the game unfair to me... I did like the faster running though and I'm definately going to keep it (i still have to change the animation speed to match the new running speed).

Please lemme know your opinions! Any comment is appreciated!

https://googledrive.com/host/0B-imfIHFgQA5Vm8ta0M3MHkwTVU/web_player.html

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  25. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

26. babaji1234

babaji1234

The hud and everything work fine now! Looks pretty good as well!

27. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

@babaji1234: Thank you! :) I don't know what happened before... it seems some builds don't work in some scenarios randomly :B.

28. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

29. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Hey guys, I almost finished this game and It'll be ready for release in a few weeks. I would like some people to test it on their android devices though. Any ideas on how I can find some beta-testers? I have only tested it in a few android devices as most of my 'real-life' friends have other kind of phones (iOS, BB, FF).

Any help is appreciated.

30. GGElias

GGElias

Stuffed animals trading shotgun fire? I'm so in... :D

31. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Thank you.

However, due the abysmal level of interest for the game, I've decided to simplify it a little bit and it's going to be released t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶ EDIT:soon.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  32. GeneBox

GeneBox

This is really cool!