Search Unity

New Asset Store - How to know if there's an update

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Teku-Studios, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

With the new Asset Store view in Unity, when we go to 'Downloaded Packages' tab now it does not show if an asset has an updated version. That is an inconvenience, why change what isn't broken? Now I need to go one by one to their store page and somehow guess if its version is above the one I have currently installed? That's not intuitive at all.

Is there a way to know when a new version is available at a glance without doing that? If not, please bring back the "there's a new version available" text.

wickedspawn and ZJP like this.
  2. unicat

unicat

Yes, it`s horrible now. Why do they do this? And i hate this white background colour.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

I was asking myself the same question. Also i don't know if it's only me but some packages doesn't update and others open the import window.

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

It was indeed fine before, from every aspect.

Plus it did not show all the unknown date items on top of the bought ones, now i have to scroll to the position of the current month and is not easy.

I am sure these will be fixed, but would be great if it was released with the final code.

5. radimoto

radimoto

Group by Purchase Date is completely broken for me. Every single Asset is grouped under Unknown Date.
    Group by Status shows Assets that have an update, but I can't see any of the version numbers for any of my Assets unless I select them.

6. MIK3K

MIK3K

I was just searching for a thread like this. Maybe there is an easy way to see what assets have been updated that I'm just not seeing? Really liked the previous color and functionality of the asset store downloads, but not so much now.

It does seem to run better without so much lag, lol.

Edit - Thanks radimoto, the group by status does work for showing what has an update. I'm good then.

7. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Like I said in another thread (BTW, I think this thread should go under Editor & General Support forum - I think Assets and Asset Store is for developers to advertise their assets and support for their assets.)

Right now it is throwing me the following errors :

1. Download manager's dark background is now white (I am on Pro version).

2. Previous Asset Store download window prints VERSION NUMBER of the currently installed Assets right below the Asset name which is very convenient to identify and check the version number before updating. It is now removed for no reason.

3. Once the asset is downloaded - it no longer automatically pops up the updating window to give you the option to update.

4. Manually forcing the updating results in the following error:
    "Error while importing package - package has unknown format.
    UnityEditor.DockArea OnGUI()"

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/asset-store-going-fubar-again-seriously.304566/#post-1987132

ZJP and Teku-Studios like this.
  8. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Is there a way I can move this post there? Or only a Moderator can do that?

9. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Its been 2 days now, and the god damn thing is still broken!

Only a moderator can do that.

Teku-Studios likes this.
  10. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

11. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Any chance of this getting fixed at all?

12. lasse

lasse

Unity Technologies

• We rewrote the download manager because the code was the kind of stuff that would make even seasoned developers sob uncontrollably and long for a career change. It was slow, buggy and horrible. S***.
    • The missing local version is an oversight - we'll fix that.
    • The Download button changes Update when there is a new version available but it doesn't always work currently. We'll fix that too.
    • If that's not explicit enough, I guess we can add the "there is a new version available" message back. Will think about it...
    • The colour? Meh... It was different from all other asset store pages for no apparent reason... Too bright? Wear sunglasses! :p

13. virror

virror

Why not bring the message back? Is there a single good reason not to make things clearer for the devs?

14. flyingaudio

flyingaudio

@lasse, in my case the Download button has never shown Update.

Nice touch showing the download progress in the button. Like someone else mentioned, maybe a different color button along with the word Update (as you intend) would be a nice indicator.

15. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

@lasse I really like the new look, but bringing back the "there is a new version available" tag along with the new Update button would just make it perfect :)

All the other changes and fixes are also welcome. Personally, I see no problem with the new color scheme.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  16. imtrobin

imtrobin

Try finding how many Update they are.here.

Now isn't this so much easier?

Gekigengar and flyingaudio like this.
  17. flyingaudio

flyingaudio

Thank you @lasse, Status in Downloads is now functional again, as viewed from the Unity program. A nice Update section with buttons labeled Update.

When using Groups other than Status, the Update label blends in, so a stronger indicator would be helpful, be it the previous text or a different colored button.

The web view of the Asset Store only has a button that says, "Open in Unity". Shouldn't there be other buttons?

18. lasse

lasse

Unity Technologies

Wow! That looks pretty broken... What OS and Unity version is this?

19. lasse

lasse

Unity Technologies

Yeah, we're trying a few different things to fix this.

That's by design, as your browser does not know how to make the Unity editor do things.

20. imtrobin

imtrobin

5.0f4 (latest), WinXP SP3. Regardless, if you can change the Update color button, it willl be very useful to spot when I have few hundred items there.

21. ZJP

ZJP

+1000 :(

No, not for all. Some assets that do require an update do not appear in this list.

22. weronika

weronika

The screenshot looks really broken. It is a bug in Windows that was fixed and will be released really soon. Also I will change the update button that it is more visible.

23. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Can you guys PLEASE PLEASE bring back the "installed version number"? It makes checking against new version easier too. I like to double check since I read developer changelog.

Also, put all the assets that requires update into one group at the top like the old design.

Teku-Studios, Parallaxe and orb like this.
  24. flyingaudio

flyingaudio

That makes sense, but then what is the purpose of Group by STATUS in the web view?

25. orb

orb

To see the ones you haven't downloaded at all, due to a crazy shopping spree :)

26. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Totally, the installed version number tag has to come back.

27. ZJP

ZJP

Any news guys?. Due to the new version of Unity i have no idea of what should be updated or not. :confused::(

28. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Do what I do - Just download EVERYTHING, and then go to the asset page of the asset you want to import into project - and check that page to see if they say anything about UNITY 5 COMPATIBLE. Unity will warn you before you download the asset anyway - it will warn you if this is Unity 5 compatible or not.

PS: Downloading everything is just incase the developer removes the asset from asset store (after they discover their may need to do a lot of work to make their asset Unity 5 compatible...).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Teku-Studios likes this.
  29. lasse

lasse

Unity Technologies

30. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

LMAO! Epic.

I see you guys did fix that installed version number tag. Good boy Lassie! Good boy!

Peter77 likes this.
  31. ZJP

ZJP

Ok, have a look here for a solution.
    I renamed 'Asset Store' to 'Asset Store-5.x' and it solved the problem. Update from Unity 5 of course. :cool:

32. flyingaudio

flyingaudio

@lasse, thank you. Very useful with the current version showing and the Update button in a different color. Three Cheers!

33. arkon

arkon

I wish it would show what was the last version number I downloaded also. Same as Prime's plugin manager does.

34. flyingaudio

flyingaudio

It now does, immediately after the asset name.

35. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Another thing that would be quite useful is "Asset sorting" in the Search results. It's awesome to be able to filter Assets in every category by Popularity, Price, etc. But that option is gone whenever I do a search.

Could you please add the sorting options to the Search screen as well?

36. lasse

lasse

Unity Technologies

Search is currently being worked over. Stay tuned. :)

Teku-Studios likes this.
  37. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Awesome, thanks!