Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Networking needs... would you be interested in a full documentation to use Lidgren with Unity

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by MidgardDev, Jul 25, 2014.

1. MidgardDev

MidgardDev

Hi there ladies and gentleman;

I've recently worked with Lidgren's Open Source Networking library and I've tested it a lot with Unity, it simply works as intended, and provides a separated Server from the Unity Editor (a real server console, as it is).

Searching through Unity3D's forums I've seen so much less documentation and community interest on this library, when it's clearly usable and covers what we the game developers need.

So the question is direct: Would you like to see a full documented website to get Lidgren working with Unity? I know there's other networking solutions, but they're so expensive when they're not open sourced and anything, and you don't really know what your server does, because you've not written it!

What are your opinions to Lidgren? I really liked it, and I think I'm gonna cover the community to support this library, I just can't get why it isn't popular enough, when it would help both the library and unity developers to improve with it.

2. MrMassively

MrMassively

I personally havent used lidgren more than a couple times to test out.

and did not like it.
    reasons were that no server side collisions if ran as standalone server console, and if ran from within unity instance to allow physics then it was limited on very low ccu per unity instance because of the single threaded cap of unity instances as unity networking is too due of this factor

there is another member here fholm who have vast experience with lidgren since he built several frameworks around it,
    i am not sure so dont quote me ,but i think he gave up on lidgren due of bandwidth issue with it?. and he decided to build his own library instead from scratch due of this factor.

maybe he come around this thread and provide some pointers or drawback on why he left lidgren alone for good.

but if you like it and feel that there is no issues with bandwidth then i think you should pursue it.

3. tiny2014

tiny2014

Hi , i want to say ----yes ,i like it .
    but due to some unknown reason ,i can't download the lastest v357 from googlecode via SVN.
    so would you like to download it and upload it to googledrive or microsoft onedrive then i can download it?