Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Third Party Need to know if Unity (and maybe Photon) can handle what I need.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by MarkyD, Oct 23, 2014.

1. MarkyD

MarkyD

I sent an email to Unity support and they told me to post my question here. So, I apologize if this isn't the correct spot to ask this sort of question.

Goal : Multiplayer online darts.

Brief background: I have successfully connected a cheap Walmart electronic dartboard to my computer and programmed the game Cricket in Python (with Pygame). Everything works perfectly if one wants to play against a 2nd player on the same board or against one of the 35 levels of computer opponents I programmed. Meaning I successfully, using Serial, have the game working and registering the darts hit, computing the game play, etc.

My son began working on the networking to enable people to play remotely on separate boards, and while this is possible there are a few needs that will hinder me to have this exactly the way I want/need this to work.

This lead me here. I am so excited to use Unity and learn C# and/or Javascript to bring my dream to reality.

Needs: First of all, I want to point out that the ability to play darts remotely, while about 10 years behind times, is already a reality as of about 1.5 years ago. The problem is that you can only do it, currently, in the local taverns, as the manufacturers have deals with the amusement device industry (dart boards, pool tables, jukeboxes, gambling machines, etc.). Meaning, that while amusement device vendors can and do sell these very overpriced boards, they do not come with the online capability. Obviously, the vendors want to ensure their clients, the taverns, are happy and have people coming in there to play.

I already know that Unity is overkill for the graphics side and can make the vendor's boards look generic. I am so excited about that.

I also know that since this is basically a turned based multiplayer game, this, also, is nothing for Unity to handle.

However, here is what I would like to know if Unity and maybe a service like Photon (to handle the multiplayer rooms and connections) can handle:

1. To deter cheating these boards need to handle at least one web-cam feed per player to show the person shooting and perhaps the board itself to make sure the darts are actually hitting the board.

2. Need to create a few different "Lobby's" - one for each type of game that the players would like to compete in. (Ex. Cricket, 501, High Score)

3. Once in the lobby, it shows who is in there ready to play. People in the room may challenge anyone else that is in the room to a game. The challenged player may accept or decline the challenge.

I really do not care how long this takes me, as I believe I found my passion (programming), and I am very jealous of those of you who have found the love for this long before me.

Please tell me that everything I need can be handled with Unity and Photon. Or, any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!