Search Unity

Need some advice....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sylynce, Aug 23, 2014.

1. sylynce

sylynce

So, a while back a friend and mine were talking, and like many other people here, we decided it would be a great idea to make games. We both loved playing games, but we both started to find current games lacking. With us both boiling at the rim with ideas we began to start getting our first game design idea down. The thing is, both of us are more idea, mechanic, writing, kind of guys to which neither on of us have any programming or much of any art skills. that being said, I have a programming friend who is willing to help but he lives rather far away and its not always easy to get on the same page with him. So I plead with you, the community, what are we to do. we both feel really strongly and are highly motivated to make this little dream of ours come true. Any help and advice from people in similar situations, or from people who have gone on to successfully complete some games would be greatly appreciated.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Learn to program?

--Eric

3. sylynce

sylynce

....thanks for that, haha, I've looked into it believe me, unfortunately I just don't have the brain for it, I do have a psychology background though :)

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Well, there are three (3) possibilities:

1. Learn the skillz you need to make games.
    2. Hire other people who have the skillz needed to make games.
    3. Become incredibly charming and charismatic so you can sway people to do your bidding through sheer force of personality. Perhaps that psychology background will be useful for this. ;)

--Eric

Teremo and randomperson42 like this.
  5. randomperson42

randomperson42

4. Give up

6. Teremo

Teremo

What this man said...

While programming looks intimidating at first, once you grasp the core concept of programming, you can basically learn any language.

I recommend buying a C# or Java book, read, learn the core concept of programming. You could also enroll to a programming course at your school or college.

Learn how to code properly, lazy code will make you work twice as hard.

Come back to Unity, view their tutorials and get familiarized with the engine.

Realize making games is not as fun or as easy as you think and most likely you'll realize making games is not for you after all.

Sorry for the tough love a the end, game design takes dedication. You can't become a pro game dev over night, nor will your first game make you one.

The first few games you'll create will be mediocre, but learn from it.

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

--Eric

8. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Why do you think most large companies have marketing departments?

9. realghetto

realghetto

TBH, let me link you: http://www.codecademy.com/

I've struggled for 20 years, but you know what? I started 20 years ago. You have to start somewhere.

10. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Everyone has ideas. Your ideas will be less informed than ones from a game developer since you haven't a clue about the game development process. So on top of the fact that a dev would rather work on their own ideas than yours (for free anyway), you also have the fact that an actual game developer would make a better pure idea person than you.

Nobody is born with a brain that is good at programming. It flabbergasts us all at the beginning. I've been learning it for a few years and it still flabbergasts me all the time. A more appropriate response would be "I'm not interested in programming," which is fair enough. Note though, that without having any skills in any of the disciplines of video game development, you're roughly as useful as someone who has no skills in any of the disciplines of video game development. If anyone signs up to be your personal game dev slave then its because you put some kind of spell on them.