Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help making a 2D Game.

Discussion in '2D' started by idunnowatimdoinwitmylyf, Mar 28, 2015.

1. idunnowatimdoinwitmylyf

idunnowatimdoinwitmylyf

Hi guys! I'm kinda new in developing a game in unity and I really wanted to learn how to make a 2D platformer game. I know it will take some time to learn but I'm really willing to undergo a lot of practice to be able to make one. So I'll really appreciate the guys who can help me answer my questions and guide me. :)

So how can I start making sprites and sounds for my game? How do I import them to Unity?

2. FranticThumbs

FranticThumbs

3. dreyescairo

dreyescairo

4. Ivanskodje

Ivanskodje

To make sprites, or images for the Unity engine - you will need an editing program. GIMP is a free editing program with almost same capabilities as Photoshop, and is more than sufficient enough to create sprites with.

To really have use of the Unity engine, you should learn basic programming. C# is recommended in this case, as it will help you understand programming more than JavaScript, even though JavaScript can be easier since it's almost a stupid language in comparison. (Both are great though) :)

I am also a relative beginner with the Unity engine, however I have years of programming experience to help me :)
    Hope you'll post screenshots of your progress!

5. idunnowatimdoinwitmylyf

idunnowatimdoinwitmylyf

@Ivanskodje Hey thanks for giving a wonderful suggestion on making sprites. I'm just really struggling on making sprites because I'm not really a good artist and I really don't draw. But we really need to make our own sprites cus its required for our project so I guess I really need to learn to draw. Thanks again! I'll update once I finished my sprites :)

Ivanskodje likes this.
  6. Jananton

Jananton

Another suggestion next to Gimp for drawing sprites is Inkscape. It's a vector drawing program a little like Corel Draw but free. If freehand drawing isn't your thing maybe creating steady lines with Bezier's is easier to muster. ;-)

Greets,

Jan

7. idunnowatimdoinwitmylyf

idunnowatimdoinwitmylyf

@Jananton Thanks man, I'll try that later. :)

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

First - Working on game play before art is super important. If you already have mechanics in place then disregard. If you don't - it's best to put down the pencil and get some game mechanics working before working on art. Use a stick figure, boxes and cylinders. Art isn't needed to iterate on game mechanics.

Second - Check here for somebody to collaborate with. Frustration at the beginning of a project isn't good. If you aren't an artist and your already getting discouraged with art development it might be best to partner with someone who only does art. I'm sure you can find one that would like to participate. :)

Ivanskodje likes this.
  9. idunnowatimdoinwitmylyf

idunnowatimdoinwitmylyf

@theANMATOR2b I'm really getting frustrated at my drawings because I really sucked at it. Haha! :( You're right, I kinda wasted my time doing useless stuff. Thanks for the great tip man :)