Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help finding a networking solution

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by SebastianMaj, Jul 28, 2014.

1. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

Hello, Unity Community

I am currently looking for a networking solution that will allow my users to create their own servers which will be recorded into a server list that will then allow others to connect to it and play along with others. I could use Photon but it is limited due to its 20 CCU limit. All help will be appreciated.

2. Polys

Polys

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/an...t-to-version-4-networking-what-solved.258276/ is where I just went through the options personally.

Until the new unity network package comes out I've opted to test Photon. The one time $100 for 100 ccu is new developer friendly and while its tethered to there systems there really is a spot in the market for a easy host custom built with unity in mind documented networking solution. Unity doesn't seem to have a no up front cost 40-50 connection network system available if that's what your looking for. Anything more as far as I know would require some real hosting anyway.

Also here's someone asking about how to setup servers on the player side in photon since I happen to just see it. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/recommend-a-networking-solution-for-a-beginner.258840/

3. tobiass

tobiass

If you describe your requirements like that, why not use Unity's built-in networking.
    The problems you have when random users host the servers are still existing with other middleware, so you could save the money and use Unity's Master Server and networking.

4. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

I got the master server working but how can I set it up to let players host server. I can't seem to figure it out as the server stops right after I start it up.