Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NavMeshAgent & Root Motion

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by GBeats, Sep 19, 2014.

1. GBeats

GBeats

Hi sorry if this is in the wrong place........

Im currently playing with ideas and im trying to setup a point and click movement system using the NavMesh and NavMeshAgent, now its working fine apart from the odd time where the agent goes walking all over the place, anyway, I was trying to work out how I would get some animations playing to sync with the Agent and couldn't really see a clean way of doing it without passing values back and forth changing velocities in realtime and blending animations in some weird way.

I googled this for a couple of hours and didn't find much, some ideas of not allowing the Agent to control the movement etc. so I followed this idea and came up with a sort of work around, but I haven't tested this yet but would like some opinions and advice.

If I setup the Agent to purely act as a pathfinder and then using the 'NavMeshAgent.NextPosition' I can assume this is a direct line to the next waypoint and use another script to get the heading and send my character there using root motion. once I arrive there I then use 'NavMeshAgent.Warp()' to send the agent to this position and then hopefully it will automatically get the next waypoint to the destination. And then I repeat this until its arrived at its destination........

I think this should work but isn't there a better way to do this?

Thanks.....