Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MysticTales: Legend of the Janovi Gem Chapter 1.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Markeus1989, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

A JRPG that is inspired by popular rpg, Odin Sphere. Mystic Tales is a platformer JRPG about a hero named Omayati and his team of allies known as the Janovins. Players will embark on a journey following the story of the Janovins while going on an elusive search for the magical Janovi gems, engage in monumental boss battles, solving riddles and puzzles, and unlocking Janovin transformations.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  2. Archania

Archania

Nice art work. Looks good. Keep at it.

3. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

Thanks!

4. Testfor

Testfor

Dont know how I missed that before!

Like the art a lot! (if you made it , good job!)

If you need any help with scripting let me know.

Good luck!

5. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

Thanks! I just may need a little help in the next 2 weeks so I'll let you know something then.

6. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

The style really isn't my style, but from one dev to another wanted to tell you "great job, and keep at it." I think it is great that you have been developing your game even though little feed back or encouragement has been offered via this thread.

You look like you are really progressing and I think that is awesome, can't wait to see it finished.

7. zenGarden

zenGarden

The world map sprite style is too much different of the combat sprite look.
    The animations when the character walks are simplistic and robotic like without no fluidity; and the frame rate seems low.
    Why not taking 3D animated models for world mp character hero, or baking 3d model animations as sprites ? you would get lot better animations and look.

8. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

Thanks a bunch!

9. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

That is true, but having models switch over to 3D would be extremely costly due to the amount of characters and animation called for in this game. This project is only being funded by myself so what I am able to do in this game "Chapter 1" is limited. Chapter 1 is meant to get my foot in the door, I have much more planned in the future if it's a success. Thanks for the feedback!

10. zenGarden

zenGarden

Another point i don't like the side view of the player characters on the combat scene, we don't see their faces and having them turned 3/4 view back looks odd. Or make them full from behind or full side view.

And you think you are the only one making a complete game by itself ?
    I would not use the term funded but "made by myself" , you already have a money connotation and goal it seems :rolleyes:
    Have fun making the game instead of targetting money and success first.

A good thing is that you seem to put a good characters background story and universe story on your game , this could be a major point to attract people into your game instead of having another Mobile like generic RPG.
    If you bring interesting dialogs and choices impacting rewards/quests , crafting or customisation, mini games , different phases gameplay ,creatures to ride you could etc ... or anything else that really breaks up form all thousand of mobile rpg that has the same Flash look it could help i think.

Good luck.

11. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

He is simply making the statement that his budget is only his personal funds.
    When someone is trying to start out there are limits, and he is trying to work within those.
    Thus he would like to have what you suggested, if it was within reach.

Striving for things within personal limits when new or starting out is smart.

12. zenGarden

zenGarden

Like many of us.
    And there is lot of software to help you for free :
    - Blender (modeling, UV, scultpting, retopo , 3D paint , baking, rigging, animate etc ... ) , you just need to learn it and it is sometimes the hard part for new comers.
    - Gimp 2 , Krita for all 2D paint and modifying needs
    - Sketchup
    And i must forget a lot.

13. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

For now I'm just going to stick to what I know. Shifting to 3D is and has been a long term goal but I can't invest the money or the time to manage a 3D JRPG. I tried out blender, maya, Zbrush etc but I could never get the art down so I obtained various quotes from 3d artist which ended up being way out of my budget.

14. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

I know you are trying to help in the best way you know how, but feel you would be more effective if you aimed on improving on what tools markeus is currently comfortable with rather than suggesting he go off in some direction that could cost major resource time wise, set back or frustration.

When I read your post, and it could be my perspective, but I feel you are telling him he is wrong for not doing it the way you would do it. More than one way to skin a cat, we wouldn't have such diverse games if we all did it the same "best way".

Markeus has a method, and a style, and helping him polish that style and become effective as possible with his current tools would likely benefit him the most.

15. cozduin

cozduin

Looking awesome, follow your own path and style. I think just some animation improvements are needed. Wish you the best of luck and keep going!

Markeus1989 likes this.
  16. cozduin

cozduin

I think if you just made the animation slower, that would improve 100%. The side walking I think is perfect, if slower. The vertical animation remains to be seen as it's also a lot fast, probably just making it less fast would do, or as a last resort some intermediary frames... Keep it going, overall looks amazing.

17. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

Okay I will play with the animation speed to try and achieve a smoother look. I think in the end I may just have to add some more frames in the animation but we'll see. I should have a larger update next weekend, thanks for the feedback!

18. Anisoropos

Anisoropos

Looking beautiful already and one can definitely see the progress you've made during this thread.. hope you get to see this baby come to life :)

Markeus1989 likes this.
  19. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

Thanks! I often get discouraged because It takes so long to make a bit of progress but I'm hanging in there!

Anisoropos likes this.
  20. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

inventions article.png

Crafting in Mystic Tales is all about location, location, location. This game has 27 worlds to explore and each of them have the standard crafting machine and their own indigenous crafting machine. Certain Items that you're able to create on one planet can't be created on others. The machine itself is apart of the equation to create items, below is an example of how it's done.

wishing feather.png
    cancelwishingfeather.png
    The top machine is the Woodwind Machine. Using the Woodwind machine to mix the blessing powder and the feather together will give you a wishing feather. Using the same ingredients on a different machine won't give you the same outcome.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  21. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Looking awesome.!

Markeus1989 likes this.
  23. JayM15

JayM15

Not a huuuge JRPG fan but I'm Loving the art! Definitely gonna keep my eyes on this ;)

Markeus1989 likes this.
  24. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

@JayM15 Thanks! More to come soon.

JayM15 likes this.
  25. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

26. zenGarden

zenGarden

The machine cylinder perspective is wrong.
    Anyway your game is shaping up nicely, keep it up.

Markeus1989 likes this.
  27. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

Hey thanks! It's the left side correct? We shouldn't be able to view the top of the left metal part correct?

zenGarden likes this.
  28. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

Some very important cast members

RavenOfCode likes this.
  29. Farelle

Farelle

this looks quite awesome :)

Markeus1989 likes this.
  30. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

Thank you very much!

31. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

32. Palimon

Palimon

I love the art style!

Markeus1989 likes this.
  33. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

Thanks a bunch!

34. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

Animated

RavenOfCode likes this.
  35. zenGarden

zenGarden

No characters shadows, so they are floating :p

36. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

@zenGarden they have shadows. I just turned them off in inspector :)

37. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

38. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

39. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

40. Markeus1989

Markeus1989

41. zenGarden

zenGarden

Bat animation looks great.

Markeus1989 likes this.