Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

My very first game, GALAP, a retro arcade shoot em up!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by San_Holo, Nov 22, 2014.

1. San_Holo

San_Holo

Hello you,

I'll show you my very first game since.... since... ooh the 1980's, yes I'm over 40 and so I've developed a game taken from memories of my arcade salad years which I hope you may enjoy...one day when finished, I'll show you a video below, but please if you have any ideas or feedback let us know thanks.... remember it's my first game using unity but I do so love unity now and this place It's like I've been looking for this for a long time now and I've finally found a great system to dig my teeth into and see if I can't rustle up some goodness from it all... so, with fun in mind my game below is basically your retro arcade shooter, complete with typical graphics & sound effects... wanna see?

** just to note there is some place-holder graphics, it's early stuff but It'll include varied aliens, back-drops etc etc, as time permits.

So there you go, it'll basically loop through the same scene with different back-drops and aliens and an ending boss...oh also a fruit machine :) remember the arcade game Cosmo-Gang from 1991 Namco? kinda like that ending round bonus, mine will be the same, soon as you kill a boss your presented with a quick and easy fly in fruit-machine bar...containing three reels, much like any Daytona USA 777 machine you could see on the beginner course and so it'll quickly spin and dish out a bonus, match three symbols to get either a bonus life or energy or points or other secret bonuses... then the next level would then change back-drops, you would zoom in, i.e the back-drop would be moving fast at first on level start on the get ready screen then when you press play/fire the back-drop slows to normal speed.... same again in reverse for the level end, it'll be blasty.. it'll have a chance element with the random fruit machine end of level stuff and it'll be fast retro like and I hope reasonably enjoyable... got a few ideas myself, but as you can see it's got a while to go yet, more weapons of course, alien bosses and backdrops need making, I'll design my player ship in 3D for the title-screen which I like... anyway, let us know what you think and if you have any ideas that'll be brilliant, cheers

randomperson42 and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. randomperson42

randomperson42

This is looking really good.

3. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Awesome work! Definitely has the retro experience from what I can see and hear!

The robotic item collection bit is a very nice touch. Definitely helps project the retro style. In fact all of the sounds do a great job. And it seems to have tight control and rapid fire power. YEEEES! None of that modern day floating in slow motion crap that seems to be what "modern" gamers want.

On a side note: I have noticed lately there are many posts talking about retro games. Most seem to miss the point of what makes something feel like a retro experience. Like they think just making overly blocky pixel graphics is retro or making a 2D perspective platform game is automatically retro. :(

Anyway, you have done a hell of a fine job so far. Assuming it comes out for PC and is priced reasonably you will definitely have at least one sale.

randomperson42 likes this.
  4. randomperson42

randomperson42

:(

5. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Lol! If a person likes it cool. If the game is underwater or on the moon or other low G environment I'd expect it. Makes sense in space but retro games generally didn't do that. But as time has passed there seems to be a trend toward making floaty movement as a standard. Just saying it is nice to see a game with tight controls and fast action. Based on video anyway.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    randomperson42 likes this.
  6. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I like it so far.

First thing I noticed was the big screen/lots of space... but then, not much use of that space.. not enough enemies perhaps. Second thing was, when a bullet hits an enemy, there is absolutely no visual cue to tell me that the enemy has been effected, so it looked at first like the bullets were doing nothing, especially since it took several to destroy one. You need to give the player feedback. It's a usability thing. But I did like the general feel of it all so far... a bit slow maybe?

7. playmonkey1

playmonkey1

Looking good :) I agree with @ImaginaryHuman quite a lot of empty space (mobile controls? et al) and the aliens currently use a limited amount of screen real estate. Though I understand it's early days. The bg music is a bit 'modern' for the general theme too. Overall I like it and am looking forward to playing it when ready :) especially the boss fights.

8. randomperson42

randomperson42

Ok, I see. Yeah I agree tight controls are important - I thought you were dissing slowmo. (I use a lot of it my game.)

GarBenjamin likes this.