Search Unity

My sprite shows in scene and game view, but there is no GameObject and I can't move/remove it

Discussion in 'Linux' started by maquis, Feb 19, 2016.

1. maquis

maquis

I tried quitting Unity (which caused a crash) and re-starting it, but the sprite is still sitting there. I have no idea how to make it go away. Moving another sprite in front of it, then moving it away again doesn't change anything. I did submit a bug through the crash report system (bug 772113) when it crashed when I tried to quit, and included the info about this sprite, because it might be related.

Has anybody seen this? Is there any way to make this guy go away? (not using version control since it's just a program for a beginning Unity class...)

Just to be more clear: I dragged the sprite from my art folder into the scene view. He showed up in both scene and game views correctly, but no game-object was created. He is not clickable in the scene view, and I cannot move him around at all. Actually, interestingly, if I ctrl-a to select all, and then start moving things, he moves along with them. If I drag to select him and the objects around him, he doesn't move with the others. Even if I select everything I have in the scene window using dragging, he doesn't move along with them. Not sure if that is helpful for anyone, though.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  2. maquis

maquis

nobody has any recommendations???

3. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Try selecting the sprite (or ctrl+a and then ctrl+click every object in the hierarchy to deselect it), then hit delete on your keyboard.

wichmannoa and Blue-Mirror like this.
  4. maquis

maquis

I can't seem to figure out a way to select it. When I ctrl-a it moves along with everything else, but there is no indication that it is selected itself. If I drag to select pretty much everything I have, it does not move along with everything else.

I guess I could ctrl-a and then deselect everything else and see if that works. I will try that tonight.

5. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Try ctrl+a and delete everything first (then undo), just so you don't waste time deselecting everything in case it doesn't work.

6. kopkinho

kopkinho

I have a similar problem. When I drag an item from the Assets (prefab or sprite) to the variable box in the Inspector, object appears in the scene view, but not in the Hierarchy. I can't select or move it too.

I solve this by dragging the same item from Assets to the Hierarchy. Then the first, not movable object disappears. After that I can delete the second one and everything is alright.

7. maquis

maquis

ok. somehow select-all did let me delete it this second time i ran into it. I have no idea why I keep having this bug. It is super annoying, though. Next time, I'm going to try kopkinho's suggestion.

8. Jeepty

Jeepty

Thank you for posting this, the select all method worked for me as well.

9. jacekk015

jacekk015

I have it also on Ubuntu 14.04LTS with Unity 5.3.3f1.
    There was no such thing in earlier version.

10. maquis

maquis

Still having this frequently in 5.3.4. This is *really* annoying!

kopkinho's solution doesn't seem to work for me, unfortunately... Off to go select-all and deselect items until I can fix it, again... (2nd time in the past hour...)

11. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

I can confirm that this happened to me too in 5.3.4. I have a ghost cube floating around that I cannot select. Thanks for the ctrl+a workaround. Now i can finally delete it.

Usually it's already annoying placing objects in the scene view because of the big mouse offset. Before this bug I sometimes couldn't place an object at all, needing to restart unity. Now it's the same, just that it creates ghosts instead of just nothing.

12. Dexter917

Dexter917

I'm having this issue when dragging gameobjects. My solution was reopen the scene so it shows up on hierarchy. Then I select it and remove it.
    The drag an drop system as well floating windows and conceptual menus doesn't work very well right now.

13. anttipr

anttipr

I'm currently using Unity 5.5.0xb2Linux version and still having this same issue. It occurred with previous version too.

14. letonai

letonai

Same here, what a figured out, base on kopkinho suggestion was, if I select all and then deselect one by one this ghost object will still selected, so I can delete it.