Search Unity

My game has been green lit!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drewradley, Jul 28, 2016.

1. drewradley

drewradley

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. BeefSupreme

BeefSupreme

Awesome, congrats!

Was there anything you did recently to push it over the hump, or did it just happen on its own?

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Must be a decent game then. Only the bad ones seem to get voted through at breakneck speed. :p

4. drewradley

drewradley

No. I just left it on there.
    That's what I was thinking!

5. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Can you update your post to include a link to it? Saves me on digging later. Thanks.

And a big...

CONGRATS!!! :)

6. drewradley

drewradley

Done. It's also in my signature. :)

7. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Thanks. Sigs don't show up on cell phone view of forum. At least not on mine.

8. drewradley

drewradley

Oh, didn't know that! I just didn't want to seem like I was beating people over the head with the same link in my sig.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  9. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It's a game dev oriented site. A fellow dev got Greenlit! If people don't want to see links for games... I don't know what they expect. Maybe reevaluate why they are here. lol

Ony, Meltdown, Socrates and 2 others like this.
  10. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

I don't play mobile games, but that looks pretty decent. Congratulations!

11. Kondor0

Kondor0

Congrats!

drewradley likes this.
  12. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It's on Steam. :)

13. drewradley

drewradley

It's both for PC and mobile. I made it primarily for the PC and ported a mobile version. The PC version has more content and higher quality models and a few other "improvements" that just don't work on mobile games.

14. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

*derp*

*double derp*

I actually looked at the Steam page, and missed that entirely! Somehow, I just saw the "Android" and "iOS" and missed the rest.

Martin_H and GarBenjamin like this.
  15. goat

goat

congratualtions

drewradley likes this.
  16. McMayhem

McMayhem

Way to go! That's one hell of an accomplishment and you should be proud. Game looks pretty cool too! It's really encouraging to see that even if your game loses some steam* for a while, there's still a chance it will get voted in.

*pun intended

drewradley likes this.
  17. drewradley

drewradley

Yep. I had pretty much given up on it and hadn't even checked on it in a few weeks. When I got it, I was sure it was spam of someone trying to sell me a service to get votes. Timing is perfect though. My Partner got a new job in a new city so I am going to be unemployed very soon! Plenty of time to work on this and make it the best damn game I can make!

18. zenGarden

zenGarden

We don't need astonishing 3D art and lightening or game presentation to get Greenlit.

19. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Who in their right mind ever thought that?! One look around Steam will show the truth. Make a good game. Not a good looking game. Those are very different things. Of course, you can shoot for both. But astonishing presentation? No.

Although I think this game certainly looks good. Really like the shadow characters on the grid. Looks cool.

Master-Frog likes this.
  20. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

A "good" game? Almost nobody even knows what that means. It's not as paradoxical as it sounds, gamers not understanding how to make games. Anyone can enjoy a $200 dinner at a steakhouse, but that doesn't mean you can put on an apron and go back in the kitchen and get to cooking. You don't know how much you don't know, because to know what you're missing you would have to know it in entirety, and that is a paradox... to forever be lagging behind the you that you are becoming, damned to wander this life saying "Now, I finally know" when truly you have no idea.

Aiursrage2k, GarBenjamin and Ryiah like this.
  21. Ryiah

Ryiah

That's why I think you're better off building a game you enjoy. Because at least then you know people with similar tastes will likely enjoy the game too.

Ony, theANMATOR2b, daisySa and 3 others like this.
  22. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I agree with you on that. In my mind that is exactly what I am thinking so I guess I just didn't explicitly mention it because I just figured it was a given. Which was silly of me.

If you make a game like the kind of game you really enjoy playing you will be much more likely to know what makes the game fun and what parts make it not so fun. You'll know how to add stuff that will add more fun.

It's why I finally decided to stop messing around with all of this stuff I was experimenting with in Unity. After figuring out how to architect a pretty much straightforward procedural code-oriented development environment in Unity I went back to my roots so to speak.

I like classic games. I think they have a lot of potential and I believe I can enhance them to make them more enjoyable. I know these games inside & out.

TLDR: yes, of course, build the kind of games you enjoy playing the most. The games you know how they tick. The good and the bad.

drewradley and Ryiah like this.
  23. drewradley

drewradley

Exactly what I did. I actually ported it to Android so I could play it over and over on my phone!

Master-Frog and GarBenjamin like this.
  24. zenGarden

zenGarden

For example this one is just a Unity plugin modded , and still looks bad because the graphic style has not been worked.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/485370/?snr=1_237_querypaginated__103_9
    The presentation is what you'll see the first seconds, many people will skip the game when the screenshots or video looks too bad.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  25. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Congrats!

From a quick look, the game looks pretty decent. I also like what I see in the screenshots.

Sad state Greenlight is in if such a game takes more than a year to get greenlit, whereas some stinkers literally breeze trough the process.
    I feel like some people who find it funny to let crap into the store might have a pretty bad awakening in some years when you have the current crop of AAA games at 60$, some re-releases by big publishers at 20-30$, and then a big hole until you reach the unplayable crap at below 2$.... This is the store they are voting for, in the name of sarcasm and being funny.

drewradley likes this.
  26. drewradley

drewradley

Believe me, I watched horrible game after horrible game get greenlit and I began to wonder if my game really, really sucked and I just couldn't see it. I spent every free moment I had for almost two years building it. Sure I use assets like ORK and TBTK, but I also did a fair amount of coding to make them work together. And almost all my art can be bought from various places but I think they match pretty well. Or at least I don't mix toon and realistic together anyway.

And the biggest difference between mine and those stupid asset flips is mine can be played from start to finish and is about 8 hours long with more content planned. I've played it about a dozen times and have not once encountered a game stopping bug. Granted I have limited hardware to test it on. Right now my main concern is I built it using Unity 4.3.4 and both the primary assets I use have since stopped supporting 4 so I'm going to struggle a bit if there are any other bugs or if people want other features. I can code ... poorly. But I've moved from knowing just enough coding to really screw things up to knowing enough I can get by.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on. Like many of you, I can talk endlessly about my game. My RL peeps get a blank expression when I talk about it with them.

27. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Congrats drew.
    Care to share the greenlight statistics? I find those very interesting, especially the yes/no split.

Did you compose the music for the game/trailer yourself? It's very - catchy! Nice work.

28. drewradley

drewradley

I don't recall for certain where it came from, but I own a lot of royalty free music that I've purchased over the years.
    As for the stats, it never made it to the top 100, had about 2000 votes with a 80% no /20% yes split. I honestly thought it would never make it, but I guess 80/20 for such a specific genre isn't too bad. and it spent 558 days on Greenlight before it was finally lit. Patience, I guess, was my saving grace. I hadn't even updated it in months! Next time, I won't wait until I have it 90% done so I can make regular updates.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  29. iamthwee

iamthwee

I think steam is a funny old thing, I remember when another guy was testing his idea concept here on unity forums.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/guts-and-glory-old-original-post.401152/

I was one of the few people who championed this idea, and said don't give up on the idea of having the kid on the back of the bike.

Now it's steam #1 greenlight with over 800+ comments. I'm expecting it to do very well in terms of gross sales.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/729148679/1469665978

GarBenjamin, Ryiah and drewradley like this.
  30. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Cool! I remember that thread. I think I was the other person (there may have been one more) who saw no issue with it. If anything, I thought it added some interest. Extra danger. Two lives at stake. Not to mention some folks will be trying to see how far they can make that child fly through the air. Others would feel more protective and added tension to keep the child safe.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Ryiah and Master-Frog like this.
  31. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Yep. I just told him it was a gamble, but I've come to know a lot more about the modern gaming culture lately, and offensive stuff is pretty much par for the course. Everything is "cancer" now, everything is f-bombs and a carefully constructed combination of high inclusive slurs of words that our parents tried to ban, such as racial slurs and attacks on people's sexual preferences. That stuff is basically normal. He's a hard working guy with a positive attitude and a professional approach to community and marketing and he deserves the win.

Martin_H, Ryiah and GarBenjamin like this.
  32. drewradley

drewradley

Hey! This thread is about me! J/K. :)

I watched the videos and laughed my ass off. Funny stuff. Not a game I would personally play since it doesn't really seem to have any story but I can certainly see the appeal. Besides, I just suck at those kind of games.

GarBenjamin likes this.