Search Unity

My First Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Rapfan28, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

Okay now I know when I say this you guys might think that I'm stealing stuff or whatever but trust me I'm not. I'm creating a Slender game but its totally different.Now, I'm kind of a noob in unity so I might need help or whatever but I'll try my best to do stuff myself. Anyways so the game is basically based off of the slenderman myth (like you don't know that). I have two ideas for the game. One, to make it a found footage game where static builds up as you see slendy and the other one is not a found footage one. You play as the player(not the camera). So the idea over here is that if you see slender man his tentacles come up from his back and you basically see darkness coming from all over the screen and your speed slows down. So anyways I haven't come up with a good plot till now but the idea is that your car crashes and you fall into a forest. There you find an abandoned farm house but you see something else on it ; the operator symbol. Then you go ahead and find another scribbled picture of slender man. So you go forward(slendy starts appearing from now on so you feel like you're being followed) and find another picture of a tall skinny man with tentacles.Now you go forward and notice that you're in some kind of a park or something. So here, basically the idea is that you find keys or whatever; unlock doors, get to know more about slenderman, try to escape and then you have two endings; one is where you DO escape but you still have hallucinations; the other is where you get caught. Tell me what you think about it. And please don't be so negative. I'm only 15

Eths likes this.
  2. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Could be fun! Good luck with the development. I'd be interested in seeing some screenshots or playing a demo!

3. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

Yeah I'm still working on it I'll upload the screenshots after I'm done setting up the scene thx :)

4. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

If anyone could please tell me the link to the trees used in slender the arrival; the tall ones; it'd be highly appreciated because i don't really know the name so i can't find it

5. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

Okay im done with the start area i've created a video regarding it im uploading it now

6. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

here's the link hope you like the start area : )

I know its not the best one but come on guys; its my first time

ColouredPixelsUnity likes this.
  7. ColouredPixelsUnity

ColouredPixelsUnity

Wow! Thats better then my first game! Nice job!

8. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

oh thx i wanted to do something special for today but its my birthday so...you get the idea right? anyways thx for the compliment i'll work more harder :)

9. gamadgames

gamadgames

At first happy birthday ;)
    Did you make this all by yourself? Those models are high quallity!
    Than it's a great job, otherwise I (and I know their not many who think the same) try to make models by yourself!
    It will take some time, but you will have a game that's totally yours, how awesome is that!

Let's give a advice that's handy (I learned it the hard way). MAKE BACK-UPS. My hard disk crashed 2 times and both times it cost me over a month of work, don't make the same mistakes as I did.
    Let's give one last advice from somebody working for over a year on 1 project (and it's still a unproffesional looking game) the path to succes/a good game is not straight. You have to conquer many obstacles, but in the end you will have a awesome game!

Good Luck, for any advice just ask and I will try to help (still as a noob ;) )

~Gamad

10. der_r

der_r

Don't worry about stealing, especially if it's your first 10-20 games and prototypes! Afterall, it's the games we love that drive us into this crazy craft. Consider it a master study like in the arts. ;)

11. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

wow so much support i didn't think it would ever happen thx guys :D

@gamadgames :thx for wishing and i didn't make those models myself i took them from tf3dm but i am learning to make models im going to make my own slender man model

@der_r its my first game i've made SEVERAL prototypes they all failed to get attention but now i have a bit more experience so yeah i think im doing pretty good seeing the fact that im not getting any negative reviews

Eths likes this.
  12. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

hey guys sorry i didn't reply for 2 days i was just a bit too busy developing. im recreating the start area; you know add a bit more suspense. i'll keep you up to date

13. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

oh and by any chance does any one know how i could set up different spawn points for an object? i have the script but i want my key have several spawn points. Not gonna tell you which key though. Still setting up the scene. Once I'm done with that I'm gonna make another video.

14. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

If I may give you and advice, I like the fact that you aren't trying to create a game that is super complicated, instead, your focusing on something fun that you can fully complete, which for a first game is perfect. But the advice is : even thought you are reacreating a slender game, try to put some more of your own touch. Otherwise, if someone looks at your game, he/she's going to think it's the old slender game. If you want your game to have more attention, add you own little bonus touch :) That will make it more unique.

Keep it up!

15. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

that is exactly what im doing; the creating my own stuff because in my game the player basically has to solve puzzles such as find keys; open locked doors ; find out more about the slenderman, collect papers finally must try to escape. because i want to make it an all in one game. a game where you can experience all the events of the previous games. i even thought up of a name for the game, "Faceless" think about it

16. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

17. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

hey guys sorry i've been absent these days i was a bit busy learning unity's javascript and stuff. anyways, i redesigned the place where the game will take place. it will not be in a forest but instead it will be in a railway station. there's gonna be a page collecting mode where you have to find the eight pages and the other one where you have a story. i'm currently working on the page collecting mode. i'll release the game once im done with the page mode and then i'll release an updated version once im done with the story. thanks for the support! :)

18. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Hmmm...

I know that the community is all about chosing your own script, but let me say that I started with JS and soon found out it doesn't work with a lot of assets and most tutorials are going to c# and made the switch. My life was a lot easier after that.

Anyway, great work getting started. If I may make a suggestion: you may want to look in the asset store some more for models. There are a lot of good ones for free that may fit your needs better, just seach under models then sort by cheapest. That, or shell out $50 for an outdoor pack.

Also, have you thought about maybe tweaking the Slender formula a bit more to make your game stand out from the other Slender games? I mean, Slender is essentially Pac-Man. Maybe you could re-work the monster(s). Maybe you could do statues, like the Weeping angels in Dr. Who and have it switch between poses. But mainly, switch up the monster(s)'s mechanics.

Just some food for thought.

19. Makosai

Makosai

Yes, I fully agree. C# is what I use mostly as well. UnityScript has its perks. But, C# is more to my liking.

The project is looking good. Keep up the good work and focus on the now. Don't overwhelm yourself with content and don't worry about perfect efficiency (for now). That's something I typically do since I'm a perfectionist when it comes to programming. Things typically have to be as efficient as I can possibly make it. Thankfully, I am breaking that habbit to speed up to development process of some of my projects. So far so good.

Keep us updated!

20. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

okay guys i have my own slender game website now. I have a blog there which im going to update daily. please go there to know about all the new stuff. the website is :

slenderstatic.weebly.com

21. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

okay since none of you went there; here's a video of the new look. its still very basic :

22. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

@Not_Sure check the new video out im going to have a story mode after this update

@QuaintShanty you got it! check the new video

23. Rapfan28

Rapfan28

hey guys; i've thought of cancelling the game. i just want to explore a bit more with unity. plus i've lost interest in slender so i'm not doing it anymore. but if you want to keep updated on when i start game making again; head over to my youtube channel, rapfan 28, every once in a while. i'll upload another unity video pretty soon i guess. but for now, i'm gonna explore unity a bit more.

thanks for all that support and goodbye...for now

24. Makosai

Makosai

Hopefully you've learned something very useful from putting together this project. The best advice I can offer to you is to have a strong gameplan for strong projects or just start on a small project and, if you want it to get bigger, add on to it. I'd like to see what other interesting things you create. Good luck and keep posting!

25. andrewjason

andrewjason

The most important thing from developing your first game, in my opinion, is regardless of the result, that you learn a lot. I certainly learned more from my first project than any other since. It looks good though, with a bit of texturing work and 'post-processing effects' I think it could be a good experience. Definitely considered releasing it for the Oculus Rift, horror games like this one, at least on my end, tend to be better received on there.

26. Bionicle_fanatic

Bionicle_fanatic

My first month or so using Unity had exactly the same result: me zooming out in the scene, massively. [:p] Seriously, I spent about three weeks thinking I'd hit some sort of top corner of an imaginary room (it was, in fact, the 3D grid which I'd somehow managed to flip upside down [:p]) So I have to say, this is incredibly impressive [:p] Thumbs up to you, I predict a long and successful career in game developing [;)] [:p]