Search Unity

Muscle Car Mobile

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by DenisOerc, Nov 29, 2015.

1. DenisOerc

DenisOerc

Hey guys.I'm starting a car set.Muscle cars/cars from the year 2000 /racing cars.All will have bodies arround 5-6 k and a basic interior.Will have interiors and I want to make them Substance based(you can change color/damage/etc in unity withouth having to manually edit the textures)
    I want to post here how it goes on.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Looks cool. Keep up the good work but dont you think 2000 cars is too much? Even games like GTA V only have about 100 vehicles and that includes helis, boats, cars, planes etc. But still cool tho :):)

3. DenisOerc

DenisOerc

Yes, 2000 cars would be a lot of vehicles :D I wanted to say that there will be cars from the year 2000.Thanks for the feedback, I edited my post :)

Deleted User likes this.
  4. DenisOerc

DenisOerc

5. DenisOerc

DenisOerc

Update.
    Added substance and their ready to go and be edited at youre choice

RavenOfCode and Deleted User like this.
  6. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

It's a good endeavour, but 5,000 to 6,000 polygons for the body, plus another 600-1,000 for the wheels and another few thousand for interiors. You'd want to keep the entire model (chassis, interior and wheels) under 2,000 polygons for mobile development purposes. Almost all companies I've worked with in regards to mobile resolution car models like to keep them around 900-1200 triangles (that's about 500 polygons). How is anyone supposed to use these (on mobile) for AI vehicles or even as a player vehicle with that high of a triangle count?

7. carking1996

carking1996

In my mobile game, I run cars with 2-5k polygons, opponents and player. I've tested it on a tablet of a few years(Galaxy Tab 2) and it still runs pretty well, I think in 2015/2016 it's okay to increase it more.

8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yeah, your numbers are half of the polygon count he's listing just for the body of the car, not counting wheels or interior. Not to mention, if you want to sell these you have to be extremely versatile for different situations. Sure, you probably get a good frame rate because of draw call optimizations, well done environment geometry, simplified shaders for the cars and environment. It's a lot of factors that will count in the final frame rate...the best thing you can do is help reduce the overhead in the car density. At 6K polygons per car minimum there is no way he can have 15-20 AI vehicles on screen or in a race...on a mobile device. Well, maybe, if the world is completely empty without an environment :)

9. DenisOerc

DenisOerc

Thanks for the feedback.The vehicle has 6450 tris with interior(dummy interior).It went a little higher than I wanted but that tends to happen with rounded models.I've recently worked for companies that wanted arround 8-10k for one vehicle(decent interior) for mobile game use.And I've seen other low poly mobile vehicles that tend to stay at the 10 k level (that is body + interior) no wheels.From what I know the lighting/textures mather more than the poly.In some cases going over the poly limit was perfectly fine as long as I only used albedo and nothing else.
    So basicly I think it depends from case to case.Not a programer, just talking from what people told/asked me for.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  10. Eliotz

Eliotz

I think atleast if you use LODs you should be fine. But i think polycount becoming a less of a problem really fast.

Also I'm a substance user aswell, High Five mate!!!

JamesArndt likes this.
  11. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

LODs will help big time. Polygons still matter, unless you want to eliminate a huge customer base who own devices that are a few years old. I don't think it's wise to overlook those potential customers and only develop your game for people who own the very latest devices. Really I think it comes down to minimizing draw calls as the top performance target.
    http://hwstats.unity3d.com/mobile/index.html

12. DenisOerc

DenisOerc

Hey substance user :)
    Well I'll add a few LOD meshes so it has a bigger range.Thanks for the feedback and thanks for the link.Did not know about it.

13. DenisOerc

DenisOerc

Update.Published.I will make more and I plan to add more to this model as well.
    http://u3d.as/mx9