Search Unity

Multiple Scenes or 1 big scene for a 2d platformer

Discussion in '2D' started by Ethernity4ever, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Ethernity4ever

Ethernity4ever

Hello all :)
    I need some help on deciding how to do this.

I'm making a 2d platformer where the camera will be fixed (not following the player), so when the player reaches the end of the screen (door) he gets into another part of the level.

Now i am curious to weather i should make each scene seperate or make it all as one big giant scene and just move the camera around?

Also to note the player has lots of things asociated to him (such as healt, exp, mana, talents)

Any sugestions are welcome :)

2. CodeMonke234

CodeMonke234

multiple scenes

3. Ethernity4ever

Ethernity4ever

Even if i want to be able to back to the previous scenes and unlock doors in scene 2 from scene 1?

4. PockeTiger

PockeTiger

It's generally a good idea to build your game in a modular fashion so I'd say go for multiple scenes.

Not only you get to test the individual scenes once they are complete but your game will be much more organised and easier to overview and if it needs changes in certain parts - those will be easier to implement as well.

The player attributes (health, mana, items... etc.) can be carried over easier than spending hours in front of a messy scene trying to figure what's going on. Not to mention it can be heavy on resources as well depending on the scale of your actual game of course.

theANMATOR2b, dreyescairo and mode13h like this.
  5. Ethernity4ever

Ethernity4ever

alright, thanks to bout of you :)