Search Unity

Multiple Rigidbody2D's and ----Collider2D's on one object

Discussion in '2D' started by Ekibyou, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Ekibyou

Ekibyou

I am currently creating a game where you swing around weapons with physics.

As I have been improving on weapon handling, I got a problem. Some weapons have a different center of gravity (which I can change, but not optimal in my case), so I need to create multiple rigidbodies and colliders for a single weapon. For instance, I can have a club like below.

The top part of the weapon is of course a lot heavier. If I leave the center of gravity in the middle, the weapon simply does not handle nicely; a lot of force is lost while swinging because there's not enough weight at the end of the weapon.

While researching, I found out I can do it with the 3D physics (fixed joints), but I'm using the 2D physics, so the option I had in mind was not possible anymore. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!

2. Melang

Melang

Tbh I don't know how to move the center of gravity, but you asked about multiple colliders on one object - this can be done by adding a child game object with a collider. You can then add a public property on your script and assign that child collider there for ease of use.

3. Ekibyou

Ekibyou

Well then you have the collider, but not the physical properties: the rigid body. That's the thing I want since it controls the mass and such. If I put that in a child object, it'll simply fall to the ground and not stick to the parent. I can't use the Fixed Joint because it is only for 3D physics... See the problem I'm having?

4. Melang

Melang

5. Ekibyou

Ekibyou

Mmm... A distance joint with a distance of 0 might work, I suppose.