Search Unity

Multiplayer Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DevionGames, Nov 30, 2011.

?

Next Update?

1. Collision

50 vote(s)
    11.6%
  2. Day Night Cycle

72 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Save the level , skills and inventory...

152 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. Character Customization

92 vote(s)
    21.3%
  5. Teleportation portals

13 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. Basic GM commands

37 vote(s)
    8.6%
  7. Resolution dependand GUI

15 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

So let me get this straight. Almost 3 years ago you started this project and you have NO documentation on a $150 kit? Is this why you really don't sell on the asset store? I think it is... You really need to provide what you should have been providing all along. You can't just expect people to be able to figure out your "kit" on their own.

Very bad deal if you ask me, and not worth $50.. Just imo!

2. DevionGames

DevionGames

You are right in the last 3 years i gained a lot of experience, because of that there will be drastic changes in the next update.

1. I am going to replace the smartfoxserver to photon standalone.
    2. Still authoritive server, you will need to host your servers by yourself (it is not photon cloud!)
    3. Until the new unity gui came out, i will use NGUI.
    4. Implementation of a new ui interface.
    5. More userfriendly tools.
    6. SVN setup, for easy update
    7. And many many other things

And now the best, this update will be completly free for all existing customers.

Well i hope you will enjoy the next update!

3. DeatchSmyle

DeatchSmyle

It looks awesome.

When will come this update?

4. aspire9

aspire9

sounds amazing!

5. hcwork

hcwork

Let me tell you something, if you think you are going to pay $150 and make a full game and not get your hands dirty a bit, you are mistaken. The kits he sells are worth the price, IMO. For learning along they are worth the price. Plus he is responsive, helpful and updates the kits. I think everyone likes documentation, but well organized code goes a long way. And his kits are very well put together. JMO

6. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Exactly, the first thing he said in his OP was this kit is not for beginners. This is not an mmo easy button. But if you find one let me know.

7. gie005

gie005

The update looks amazing! What other updates are planned ?

8. DevionGames

DevionGames

In arround 2 months.

Currently nothing more, i will reimplement and improve the current features.

9. oldngrey

oldngrey

Interesting that you are switching over to photon server.
    One of the main reasons I was looking at SmartFoxServer 2x was for its SQL setup.
    Reading the photon forums tells me the entire SQL stuff is a layer we have to add ourselves. Presumably you have enough knowledge to provide all the sql methods and can do it reliably and fast.
    (Your current setup document for the multiplayer kit forgets to mention we need to create a database before importing your .sql file. It's been tough getting that working.)

Your review of photon standalone seemed to say you prefer it for its stability and the obvious fact that scripts can run on client and server without re-writing from C# to Java. Obviously standalone so you can use sql,

Philosophy time - one of my programmers is telling me we should make a lot of use of xml files to read in static data and just use sql to hold and backup object data and anything that needs persistence. Your take on this? SQL database design for an mmo looks rather involved if you want it to be compact and fast.

MMO design was never going to be easy for the Indie developer, and your work saves me a year of development time as I convert my way of thinking from POL to Unity.

I don't expect your kits to be complete worlds, but it might be nice to contemplate a lot of indie MMO's out there that are based on your kit. The POL community ended up sharing a lot of scripts, all because the scripters were working with one 'distro' or another.

10. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Please take a look at the site:
    http://cjrgaming.com/drupal/smartfox_server_mmo

There is a tutorial using SFX2X and Unity3D.
    It is very detailed and contains step-by-step information for setup SmartFox and source-code is free.

There are newer tutorials which uses the Photon MMO sample kit.

11. oldngrey

oldngrey

12. comicbb

comicbb

The old website apparently closed
    How can I update the products?

Thanks
    Comicbb

13. oldngrey

oldngrey

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  14. Wiser

Wiser

Looking forward to this update to Photon.

15. aaronhm77

aaronhm77

thanks.

16. Pie Pants

Pie Pants

Just purchased this and I'm curious if anyone knows, which of the pdf setup guides linked below should I be following?

http://zerano-unity3d.com/zencart/Products/MMO.pdf

http://zerano-unity3d.com/Setup.pdf

I have smartfoxserver2x up and running, and I imported the unitydb.sql package into xampp into the test database (was empty before). Now with xampp and sfs running on my desktop I'm still unable to connect to the game server on my laptop (says invalid username/pw when I try to log in I think).

Any ideas? One thing from the second link I wasn't sure about was where he said to put the php files in the xampp htdocs folder. I don't know which php files he means, nor can I find a config.php file anywhere. Thanks if anyone has any ideas. :)

17. oldngrey

oldngrey

Thanks for the first link - I didn't know about that one.
    Zerano has always said if you contact him he will help paying customers to get the products working.

18. gie005

gie005

In that file (MMO.pdf), it says "In this guide i want to show you, how to setup the free MMO package from my site on the
    localhost."
    Does that mean there is going to be a free version of the kit ? O:
    I think that would win over a lot of people.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  19. DevionGames

DevionGames

If you have not solved your problem, please add me on skype and setup teamviewer so i can help you, with setting everything up.
    Sorry for my late answer i was on vacation.

20. gie005

gie005

Just bought this kit, very exicted to try it out tomorrow, and exited for the next update too :)

21. DevionGames

DevionGames

You can still download the latest version from the old site.

Thank you for the purchase!

22. gie005

gie005

For all who want the update to this kit, buy it now, because the prize will probably get higher once the update is out and right now there's a 50% off on it in his store: http://zerano-unity3d.com/.

23. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Yes and he is working on an update now. I can not wait to see whats added.

24. gie005

gie005

Yeah me too, really looking forward to it. Any estimation date for the update ?

25. DevionGames

DevionGames

I am planning for the 01. November, but i do not guarantee it.

26. gie005

gie005

Looking forward to it. But how does the reward points thing on the site work ? Because even after I bought this kit, it still says I don't have any reward points. Is this a bug ?

27. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Who said anything about an easy button? Any documentation would be nice. The server setup is the easy part. Find ONE item on the shop without documentation.....

28. Archania

Archania

Heavyh2o, that is a personal deal that he made with the other publisher. And I'm sure not something that they would share since it is a private business matter. As long as the license states what can and can't be done you are clear to do whatever.

29. gie005

gie005

Really exicted for the first of November :)
    Think you're gonna make the deadline ?

30. gie005

gie005

How will the new update be sent out to people ? Will we recieve an e-mail saying there's an update available, or something similar ?
    BTW, anyone else exicted for tomorrow ? (if it's still coming out tomorrow)
    Also, there's another 50% off action on his site ATM, for those who don't know.

31. DevionGames

DevionGames

Hey, sorry it will still take some time. When the update is out i will post in this thread. Currently i am doing some tests to make the controller mecanim ready and it looks pretty good. You will be able to look at the top or bottom and execute an attack in that direction( For example if you use a bow, the arrow will not only go forward but into the direction you are looking at...)

32. gie005

gie005

Too bad it's not coming out today, but still looking forward to it. The new feature you mentioned sounds great :)

33. aspire9

aspire9

I purchased this Asset a long time ago and i just saw that you have a new webshop now. wanted to check it out but my login details don't work anymore.

Edit: posted in this thread in case other customers experienced the same problem, so that Zerano doesn't get flooded with PMs :D

34. DevionGames

DevionGames

Well you can login into the old webshop or you can pm me with the paypal transction code if you want to download from the new webshop.

35. gie005

gie005

Is there any estimation date for the next update ?

36. DevionGames

DevionGames

I am currently working on a better controller, it is my hobby and i can not realy tell how long it will take. First i will release the controller with a small moba style kit. People who bought this kit can have the controller for free to test it and give me some feedback, so i can improve it. The other missing features should not take that long, but i do not want to give an estimation date.

37. DevionGames

DevionGames

So while i have worked on the controller i made a small Moba style example. You can get the unitypackage for free, if you own this kit.
    Just pm me with your paypal transaction code.

Minimum Requirements:
    Unity Free 4.1.3f3
    NGUI v3.0.4

Features:
    • Registration/Login
    • Character creation
    • Room creation/Random room creation
    • Count down timer
    • Health system
    • Mecanim ready
    • Mecanim Event system to trigger events(ExecuteAttack, PlaySound...)
    • Multiplayer with photon cloud
    • MySql database + php as player saving solution
    • 59 two weapon animation collection
    • Medieval ui interface
    Price: Free who bought the Multiplyer Kit.

Demo

More information coming soon.

38. gie005

gie005

I'm getting a little confused, will be this a seperate kit, or is it the new Advanced Multiplayer kit ?

39. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

What????? nooooooooooo....

same here. i thought this kit was with smartfox and authoritative, but now looks like the developer killed the multiplayer kit by doing or converting to a simple photon cloud multiplayer like the rpg kit. unless he is planing to do now 2 rpg kits?

imo very bad idea o switch to the cloud, best if do to photon sdk server to have an authoritative setup.

anyways , i am intrigued too.

40. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Guys I think this is just another kit he added and for those of us who have his old kit we do get it free. At least that's what I understood when showed me the new kit.

I think he did post he will be making an update for the Multiplayer kit though. Thats what I am looking forward to also. But I think this is a nice treat.

41. DevionGames

DevionGames

Correct, this is just a new kit where i am testing the controller with mecanim + multiplayer. To get faster feedback i am offering the controller for free to those who purchased my multiplayer kit.

However there will be a lot of changes in the Advanced Multiplayer Kit as i stated 3 pages back:

1. I am going to replace the smartfoxserver to photon standalone.
    2. Still authoritive server, you will need to host your servers by yourself (it is not photon cloud!)
    3. Until the new unity gui came out, i will use NGUI.
    4. Implementation of a new ui interface.
    5. More userfriendly tools.
    6. SVN setup, for easy update
    7. And many many other things

42. oldngrey

oldngrey

I like the concept of Photon Standalone server with the freedom it gives the developer.
    But, it looks like a lot of work just the same (eg CJR Gaming series http://www.cjrgaming.com/photon-framework/ as an example of the enormous amount of work needed to be done to the very bare Photon server. And that series doesn't even have combat.)

However, I do have a question or two.....
    I purchased both the RPG kit and the Multiplayer kit a while ago. Where are they both heading and what will the overlaps and differences be? Could it be possible that we can mix and match features from one to the other because they were designed to go together? Obviously an authoritative server would have to handle more than a master-client system would but as yet I don't know just what you are planning to migrate from Unity3d coding to Photon coding and whether you plan to use PUN on the Multiplayer kit too.

I hope that makes sense.

43. DevionGames

DevionGames

The Multiplayer Kit will be very similiar, the diffrence is photon server will handle all the logical stuff and unity will just display the art. You can of course port features from RPG Kit to Multiplayer Kit, however you would need to rewrite the logical part on the server side. I am not going to use PUN for the Multiplayer Kit.

44. gie005

gie005

I never played a MOBA game so I can't say anything about the controller. (I thought Dota2 and LoL were MOBA games, but they're DOTA so that's why they're different) It did make me excited about the new kit though, so always going to be checking this forum for updates on it.
    (Hopefully the update comes soon :) )

45. gie005

gie005

Hey, here's a small idea for the kit, because in the previous version it wasn't there.
    A character delete button on the character select screen, where you have to confirm the action with your password or something (to delete your character)
    Because with the current version of the kit, deleting characters is not possible by a regular user.

46. Sphelps

Sphelps

Zerano I left you a message!

47. DevionGames

DevionGames

I sended you a skype message back :D

48. DevionGames

DevionGames

Yes i am going to add this in the first version of 2.0 :D

Here is some more progress on the pathfinding.It is still in very early stage.

49. gie005

gie005

Cool that you're getting tools ready. Looking forward to the release of the update.
    Keep up the good work ;)

50. DevionGames

DevionGames

I have just done some stress test, all agents are moving. I know the navmesh is pretty simple here are some results:

Without art but with gizmos. Without gizmos i am getting arround 20 FPS.