Search Unity

Multi-use flexible tooltip with examples and code

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by drHogan, Sep 30, 2015.

1. drHogan

drHogan

Hi guys,

last few days i have been struggling with making a tooltip that could resize according to the contents, didn't go out of screen, and allowed to insert multiple lines of text.

http://www.hammerandravens.com/multi-use-tooltip-system-in-unity3d/

Here's the result of my effort (Includes the C# code), feel free to use it and if you find something that can be further improved please let me know! (on field tests it performed very well already)

Cheers!

2. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Interesting effort @drHogan will see about adding it as another tooltip alternative in the UI Extensions project, if that's ok with you :D

3. drHogan

drHogan

Yeah no problem for me!

4. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

Thanks for posting this :). I'm working on the built in support for it and its nice for me to see how you the users are implementing tooltips to get a better understanding of a common usage.

jcredible and SimonDarksideJ like this.
  5. drHogan

drHogan

No prob phil, glad to help! I think the main features i implemented are among the most needed basic ones, i.e. easily resizable, not going out of screen and with a certain flexibility independent from screen size and resolution. Then of course thousands of other minor things can be nice and handy, but at least for us this one does already almost everything we need (i might add some fancier animation when i have time, but that's it).

Cheers!

6. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Yeah, it's certainly one of the best tooltip implementations I've seen to date.

Fantastic looking game as well BTW :D

7. drHogan

drHogan

Thanks a lot Simon! ;)

8. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Quick Q @drHogan
    Putting the tooltip in the UI Extensions project, but following your article for implementation, what are you using to activate/deactivate the tooltip?
    Guessing you are using another script to set and unset the tooltip based off the pointer.

9. drHogan

drHogan

Hi Simon, yes, I just rewrote a manager for that. The former version used to attach EventTrigger to the object and register a OnPointerEnter callback that had of the UIElement GameObject as parameter.

In the new version basically I have a singleton manager for the mouse pointer with a method that, called from the UI scripts attaches a short script to a given object and assigns it a OnPointerEnter and OnPointerExit callback (from the calling script).
    The short script reimplements IPointerEnterHandler and IPointerExitHandler.

OnPointerEnter calls on SetTooltip(gameobject.name) and OnPointerExit on HideTooltip();

Cheers!

10. drHogan

drHogan

11. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Thanks, will check that out. #AwesomeSauce

12. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Quick Q @drHogan
    Do you have a quick sample project using your three scripts (still curious why it's three).

Because your Pointer and Handler scripts do not call
    "OnPointerEnter calls on SetTooltip(gameobject.name) and OnPointerExit on HideTooltip();"

Unless you are configuring it through the editor manually?

13. drHogan

drHogan

I don't have a project as the thing is part of my whole game, but that's a scheme of the management :

Singleton main UI manager (has the public variable to access the Tooltip) - TacticalGUIManager.
    SingleTon Mouse manager (one of the three scripts) - MousePointerHandler

The tooltip is a gameobject in the scene with it's own script. On init it does TacticalGUIManager.tgm.tooltipScript=this;

All done through code, so for example I am in the

ProvincePanelManager script. I need to have the CloseButton of the panel accessing the tooltip. In the init of the panel i use MouserPointerHandler.mph.AddMouseTracker(CloseButton.gameObject,OnPointerEnter,OnPointerExit); so that the button gets the script and the callbacks

Then still in ProvincePanelManager, I implement
    Code (CSharp):
    1. OnPointerEnter(GameObject hovered) {
    2. switch(hovered.nam){
    3. case "CloseButton" :
    4. TacticalGUIManager.tgm.tooltipScript.SetTooltip("Close the panel");
    5. break;
    6. }
    7. }
    I keep the three scripts separate because it looks cleaner to me.

One handles the tooltip from inside.
    One gets attached to the UIElements
    One makes handling the two above clean and fast from every script

I hope this made it a bit clearer,
    Cheers!

14. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Ok, will have a play though and see what I can break out. Obviously the missing bit here is your GUIManager.
    Will see what I can do when pulling it in to the UI Extensions project

15. drHogan

drHogan

Yep, but see the GUIManager just a sigleton that makes all the UI scripts (one script per different panel/window I use in the game) accessible quickly and just keeps tabs of the open/close status of each, plus it grants access to the tooltip from everywhere.

On alternative solution might be having the tooltip script store instead in the MousePointerHandler, might help in making for a more compact solution but logic wise would make a bit less sense.Otherwise I can setup a scene next week if you want with a surrogate of my GUI Manager.