Search Unity

Moving a platform from one point to another indefinitely HELP please

Discussion in '2D' started by videoanime, Oct 31, 2014.

1. videoanime

videoanime

Hi, can anybody help me? I've searched in 2D, in Scripting and even in the Answers and I don't figure out how to move an object up and down indefinitely.

I have this code

float dist = (Time.time)*speed;
    float fraccion = dist / length;
    transform.position = Vector3.Lerp (inicio, fin, fraccion);

The movement goes smoothly from the upper point(inicio) to the lower one(fin), but I don't know how to invert it.

I understood that "fraccion" must be a value between 0 and 1, 0 is for "inicio" and 1 is for "fin", the problem here is that "dist" is obtained multiplying by time and the time goes ahead, after it reaches 1 it keeps on. Here I need to alternate "fraccion" between 0 and 1 indefinitely.

I tried with "for" but the problem with the instruccion "for" is that it executes completely in every frame and the movement is not at all smooth.

2. sluice

sluice

I made this script a while ago to have some object floating in a 2D game. It might suit your need.

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class FloatingScript : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public Vector2 randomSpeedRange;
    8.     public float speed;
    10.     public Vector2 randomAmplitudeRange;
    11.     public float amplitude;
    13.     Vector3 startPos;
    14.     bool isFloating = false;
    16.     void Awake()
    17.     {
    18.         if(speed == 0)
    19.             speed = Random.Range(randomSpeedRange.x, randomSpeedRange.y);
    21.         if(amplitude == 0)
    22.             amplitude = Random.Range(randomAmplitudeRange.x, randomAmplitudeRange.y);
    23.     }
    25.     public void Reset()
    26.     {
    27.         transform.position = startPos;
    28.     }
    30.     void Start()
    31.     {
    32.         startPos = transform.position;
    33.         StartFloat();
    34.     }
    36.     void StartFloat()
    37.     {
    38.         isFloating = true;
    39.     }
    41.     void Update()
    42.     {
    43.         if(isFloating)
    44.             transform.position = new Vector3(transform.position.x, (startPos.y + amplitude * Mathf.Sin(speed * Time.time)), transform.position.z);
    45.             // Since Sin ranges from -1 to +1, you'll have the object floating from -amplitude to +amplitude around the y0 coordinate,
    46.             // and the time to complete one cycle is 2 * PI * speed - about 6.3 seconds if speed is 1.
    47.     }
    48. }

3. videoanime

videoanime

Ahhhh ok, I undestand, "Sin" helps you to alternate, to go forwards and towards and "speed" as its name says indicates how fast is the movement, ok, thank you, it helps me a lot. As I see, "for" is useless in "update" and "fixedupdate".