Search Unity

Movie frames as animated sprite

Discussion in '2D' started by fin13, Feb 9, 2016.

1. fin13

fin13

I want to make a game in which I have video I took. I want the game to play as a movie but certain frames will have collision properties and will be interactive. I think I need to export the movie frame by frame and then import into unity as a giant animated sprite with certain frames having the collision properties. My concern is ram usage and that the game will be too large if in the end all of the videos end up being 20-30 minutes in total, or does unity have a way of reducing the size? Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. vakabaka

vakabaka

3. fin13

fin13

Thanks - I also saw the hand held play full screen too. I wonder how large of a video I can play?

4. KrayZLogic

KrayZLogic

Your project will definitely be very large with 20-30 min videos no matter how much you reduce the quality.

As far as playing a video by frame it is doable, but will make the project even larger. You are looking at thousands of individual images. An app I worked on, where overall size was not a concern, used video playback frame by frame. These videos were no longer than 1 minute. At 30 fps, thats 1800 individual images. It was smoother playback than MovieTexture, but the file size was much larger.

5. fin13

fin13

Thanks - my understanding is a movie texture just plays, there is no interaction with it, is that correct?