Search Unity

Movement Animset Pro - CONTROLLER added!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kubold, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Kubold

Kubold

Version 1.3

This is a complete set of over 120 motion capture animations for male character with PlayMaker CONTROLLER!

You can build a seamless third person perspective character movement for your game. The animations are universal, so you can use them for any setting you like - SciFi, Fantasy etc.

Web Player - INCLUDED Controller built with some animations form this package
    Web Player - Example Controller built with some animations form this package

Video 1: animations previews

Video 2: example gameplay built from Movement Animset Pro:

Video 3: example gameplay built from Movement Animset Pro:

Video 4: animations added in version 1.2
    [video=youtube_share;IY4TDajMCM4]

It consists of over 120 animations from which you can make game mechanics for:
    - Standing
    - Walking
    - Running
    - Crouching / Sneaking
    - Jumping
    - Falling
    - Interactions (button pushing, picking up objects etc.)
    - Fist fighting
    - Hits
    - Knockdowns

It also contains:
    - Skinned model of a modern day soldier (26,536 tris, 13,813 verts)
    - Skinned model of a dummy, to preview animations

Get it here on Asset Store

Free demo version with 8 animations

Also be sure to check:
    Rifle Animset Pro - over 80 animations with rifle
    Pistol Animset Pro - over 80 animations with pistol

Update 1.1
    - added strafing for walking and walking backward animations
    - added 135 degree walk and run starts

--------------------
    List of animations
    --------------------

Kubold

kuboldgames@gmail.com
    www.kubold.com
    Facebook page

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. ZJP

ZJP

oh nice. Have you planned a weapon pack (Gun, rifle, grenade) animations?

3. Kubold

Kubold

Yes, that's the plan :)
    Next I want to do tactical movement and combat for pistol and rifle, followed by sword movement and combat etc., all compatible with this package.

4. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I'd appreciate if you let the author decide what the worth of his work is. If you don't agree with something or it rubs you the wrong way it's best to ignore and move on.

5. ZJP

ZJP

Thanks for the reply. Any ETA?

6. l0cke

l0cke

Which format are these anims?

7. dterbeest

dterbeest

So this is fully mechanim compatible I presume?

Great looking animations!

8. Kubold

Kubold

Thanks! :)

Combat movement for guns is in my plans, but I don't want to give any deadlines yet. But rather sooner than later :)

Not sure what you mean "which format", but if that is what you ask, they are on Generic rig in the package, but can be converted to Humanoid with one click. The skeleton is Motionbuilder compatible (hierarchy, naming). It retargets nicely with Mecanim to any Humanoid character you want, but make sure that both Avatars have the same t-pose position when you configure them. Default Avatar configuration is not always good. So for examlpe, if one character has straight legs, and the other has them a little apart in Avatar, this will show in retargeting. Oh, and make sure the "Bake into pose" is checked on Root Transform Position (Y), so the character knows where the ground is.

9. Kubold

Kubold

10. ForceX

ForceX

Very nice set of animations. Any plans to create any side step / strafe animations? If so then this will become a must buy for my self.

OKC likes this.
  11. Kubold

Kubold

People have been asking about it, so why not, I'll make some :)

OKC likes this.
  12. ForceX

ForceX

That would be awesome. It would make your product one of the only animation packages with a complete set of basic motion animations that wouldn’t require mixing and matching with other mocap suppliers. The only other one I could think of is a backup anim, but you can simply play the forward anim in reverse for most cases probably.

Keep up the great work these are fantastic.

13. wccrawford

wccrawford

Is it, though? Telling the merchant that you think his prices are wrong is part of the process. How is he going to know what people think if they don't tell him? If people aren't buying, how will he know whether it's because of quality, mistakes he's made, or the price? Perhaps he didn't say it nicely, but not talking about price at all is not the solution.

14. Kubold

Kubold

Heh, I am not a programmer and I don't know java or c#. I'm trying to do a controller using Playmaker and my animations. Here's what I have so far, already spent 3 days on that:

Web Player - controller with Movement Animset Pro animations

I thought, I'm selling the animations, so why not use them and make myself a good TPP setup for my own games. Also that is a good way to determine in practise what tweaks the animations need and what is missing and should be in future updates.

15. Kubold

Kubold

Version 1.1 released!

Price has dropped and new animations were added:
    - 12 Walking strafing and walking backward aniamtions
    - 4 walking and running strats 135 degrees

Minor tweaks:
    - step lenght in walking forward aniamtions is now more even

Enjoy :)

16. ForceX

ForceX

Great news on your release I plan on picking this up next month :)

17. Kubold

Kubold

Hey!

Price has dropped! :)

18. ZJP

ZJP

Maybe one of the BEST Mecanim demonstration i've seen. Why this scene has not included in the Asset Store package?

Nice. Thanks a lot. :D

19. ZJP

ZJP

You're next pack seem awesome. :D

20. Kubold

Kubold

Hey!

Movement Animset Pro is now updated to version 1.2.
    Update 1.2 adds 20 animations for fist fighting, hits, knockdowns and deaths.
    [video=youtube_share;IY4TDajMCM4]http://youtu.be/IY4TDajMCM4

As for the next package, it's not accepted to Asset Store yet, but the controller will be included this time. If everything goes well, I'll make and include the PlayMaker cotroller to Movement Animset Pro also.

Here's a Web Player of upcoming Rifle Animset Pro:
    http://www.kubold.com/RifleAnimsetPro/RifleAnimsetPro_WebBuild_v1.1/RifleAnimsetPro_WebBuild.html

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  21. Antigono

Antigono

I am very interested.
    as a programmer I am learning many new things, including animation, so I wanted to ask this question, perhaps obvious:
    Is it possible to easily transform these animations Mecanim?

and finally, what is your "road map" for this package?
    Do you plan to add more animations?, Are these new animations will be available for this package or i must buy extras or separated?

thanks!

22. Kubold

Kubold

Yes, all of my animations can be converted from Generic rig to Humanoid rig with 2 clicks. To be precise - Generic rig also uses MECANIM. Hmm, I may have to stress that more clearly in descriptions. And yes, I tested it like 10 times on different characters. As long as configure the t-pose correctly it will play the animations.

But, as an aniamtor and a game developer with 9 years of experience, I strongly suggest to just skin your character models to the skeleton I use in Animset Pro. Why:
    1. It's a perfect skeleton ;)
    2. Performance is better
    3. Animations look exactly like they should
    4. Additional bones are not supported in Mecanim (arms and forearms rolls, weapon and props bones) - so weapons can't really be animated, dropped on the floor, picked up from the ground, changing hands etc.; they just have to pe parented to the hand all the time - HUGE problem.
    5. Jumping with Root Transform on Y axis is possible with no special tricks

As for the plans for this package - If Rifle Animset Pro will be accepted to Asset Store, I will make and add PlayMaker cotroller for Movement Animset Pro. I do not plan to add much more animations to Movement Animset Pro to keep the price low. Maybe just a few more anims more. It's already 126 motion capture animations and they are insanely expensive to produce. Just call any Mocap studio and ask for a price of 1 day recording...

Next packages in plans are swords and pistols. All the animation packages will be "compatible", on the same skeleton, same actor and same style. The goal is, if you buy them all, you could technically build something like GTA :D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  23. ZJP

ZJP

24. Kubold

Kubold

!!! Finally :D

Ok, I'll submit the update of Rifle Animset Pro during the weekend :) Get it while it's small! I'm also making a sidescrolling platformer controller for this, with jumping and all.

25. ZJP

ZJP

Good, but, please add this demo in the previous pack. I bought it too, and I think he deserves this. :(

26. Kubold

Kubold

I'm going to do it, but I need to redo the Movement Animset Pro controller from scratch first. The one from my demo is pretty only on the outside. The actual graphs are so messy that it would just confuse people, instead of helping. It will take some more time, Please be patient :)

27. ZJP

ZJP

Ok. No problem.
    BTW, how much if i send you a model for rigging/skinning compatible with your tool?

28. Antigono

Antigono

Thanks for the reply. I would really look forward to this package, I only have to be sure that this will support UMA

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/13930

Since I'll be probably using UMA package.
    Have you tried the support for UMA?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  29. Kubold

Kubold

Not yet, so hold on. I'll let you know.

UPDATE:

Ok, the animations of course play correctly on UMA characters, as all other Humanoids (I've checked).

The PlayMaker controller however is not compatible with UMA scripts, controllers, spawners etc. I'm sure it can be done somehow, but it would involve changing their controllers or deleting them or something. I am not a programmer, I don't know c#, so can't help you there. Maybe there is a PlayMaker Action package for UMA or something.

But you can use the animations in UMA, sure. Just use their scripts and controllers.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  30. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

This is a great package, I highly recommend to anyone. It is evident that the author is experienced with character animation. :)
    I bought it to try out my IK solvers on some proper mocap data.

Here's what I did with just 2 days of work.

So I made my own animator controller, left out all the additive aim animations and just used Aim IK that allows for full precision aiming. :)
    There is also a Full Body IK pass on the character that makes him lean back when facing the wall to avoid pushing the gun through the walls.

Btw, it would be great if you could add the running strafe animations that you have in your web player demo to the package.

Anyway, thanks for this great asset! :)

Cheers,
    Pärtel

31. Kubold

Kubold

Hey, this is awesome! Aiming with IK really works.
    Just so people are not confused, I remind, that this is built with animations from my other package, Rifle Animset Pro. You won't find this animations in Movement Anismset Pro.

The running and some other additional animations will be added in Rifle Animset Pro v1.1. I submitted it for review like 5 days ago, so it should appear any moment.

32. Kubold

Kubold

UMA with Movement Animset Pro - proof of concept (people asked if it works)
    [video=youtube_share;5VktI9mNLrI]http://youtu.be/5VktI9mNLrI

33. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

hello ! happy customer here! i am happy with the pack but,

i am having a problem in retarget i am sure that is not your package, perhaps you can ilucidate:

any character I try to retarget the arms are always in wrong places, there is a way to fix this ? sorry i am noob

Many thanks

34. Kubold

Kubold

Hello,
    this an unavoidable thing, when you retarget a character with different shoulder width and/or different arm lenght, than source character. Unity (and all other game and graphical engines actually) operates on so called FK (forward kinematics), when retargeting. That means, it takes the local rotations of the bones of source character and translates this local rotations to local rotations on the target character. If the character has different arm lenghts, the hands (last in the hierarchy) are not precisely where they should be.

Now, the ways to fix it:

1. If the difference in position is little, like in the screenshot above, you can rotate the shoulders or the arms in target character's Avatar in Unity. So, if you select the shoulders, just rotate it 3-5 degrees backwards or forwards, experiment. You can't do too much, because Unity will not recognize a t-pose, but you can do couple of degrees. Every change in Avatar, will result in a different retarget. Experiment, until the hands in game are correct.
    $1.jpg

2. If that does not work, or the character is really different than the Rifle Animset Pro character (way longer or shorter arms, or narrower shoulders), I would use IK on the left hand to snap it to right hand. This is a Unity PRO feature only, but actually, problems like this, are solved that way in every AAA game (for example all weapon changing system was based on IK in Gears of War series). So, you should make an empty Game Object and parent it to right hand. Then, set up (thorugh script or PlayMaker) the Left Hand IK target to that null (only translation will be enough). Remember to turn it off every time you throw a grenade or let go the rifle and then turn it back on. I would include this in the controller, but it would not work in Unity FREE, so I skipped it.

3. Another way to fix it is to open your character in Maya or Max or Blender and move the joints, so the arm and shoulder lenghts match the Animset Pro character's.

I'm sure there are couple more ways to deal with this (there always are), but these three seem the easiest.

35. ZJP

ZJP

Remember that unanswered question? :D
    I've solved my pb with Mixamo Auto-rigger. All my Kubold packs (Pro Anim, Gun and Pistol) are fine now. So, angelodelvecchio just give it a try. ;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  36. Kubold

Kubold

Sorry, forgot about that. I'm afraid that I couldn't find time to do any freelance work. I'm working full time on The Witcher 3, my own indie game, these packages and I also try to find some time to spend with my family. Any more work and sleeping time would have to go from 5 hours to 3 per night :)

37. ZJP

ZJP

No pb. All fine.

You too?! :D

38. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

Many thanks for answering ! i will give a try right now ! , another problem ( not related with your animation, but since you guys are animations pro i will try asking ), all models I test in any animation, it keeps the mouth opened!, you know how i can fix it ?

Many thanks

39. Setmaster

Setmaster

Are more animations planned? If yes I would love some like hands up and on knees.

40. Kubold

Kubold

It seems that there can be three cases, most likely:

1) Your character model is modelled with mouth opened. In that case, there is no other way, than open it in Maya, Max or Blender and re-model the mouth.

2) Your character has his mouth skinned on bones. If that's the case, you need to put some keys on the jaw bone to animate it, so it's closed (Animset Pro animations don't have face bones, so it's not caused by them. Also MECANIM Humanoid rig doesn't support face bones)

3) Your character model could have some blend shapes. If that's the case, just slelect the head mesh, find the blend shape with mouth closed and set it up to full strenght.

There may be other reasons, but I would have to see your character first, rather than guess

41. Kubold

Kubold

Good idea, some reactions for NPC's or something. I'll try to make some, when I have some time.

42. ZJP

ZJP

'Surrender motions'? Yes for NPC, but also the main character if...captured :cool:

43. Kubold

Kubold

I always do universal animations, same base poses, to make player and npc's on one animset. So, everybody can use everything.

44. ZJP

ZJP

I know. Just to say that the main character can also be captured. :D

45. bocs

bocs

Some suggestions for this or another pack

Climbing
    *Ladders
    *Ropes
    *Hand to Hand ie "monkey bars"
    *Cliff/Wall/Ledge
    Crawling
    Prone movements
    Swimming

46. Kubold

Kubold

Very desirable animations :). Yet, it's super expensive to mocap them. I'm afraid, way too expensive for Asset Store sales numbers, that I have so far.
    See, I don't owe a motion capture studio. For recording animations of walking, guns etc. I just need to schedule a 1 actor mocap session in a small studio with 12 cheap cameras. It costs a couple thousand of dollars, but It may be worth it after 4-5 months. However, a motion capture session with ladders, ropes, monkey bars and ledges, requires many big props and a big capture space. The studios charge so much for that, that it would give no return on investment.

47. Kubold

Kubold

Ok, I converted everything, all the packages, to MECANIM Humanoid.
    Movement Animset Pro Lite, the demo package, now has a small MECANIM Controller with the example of how to use transition animations and detect which foot is up and which on the ground (using Curves).

(the animations did not change, so, If you already have it working in your project, you can skip the update)

48. SpectralRook

SpectralRook

Something tells me this won't really compare to what you do in a studio but have you looked at Cinema Mo Cap https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/12620 ?

49. Kubold

Kubold

Yes, I am familiar with most of the alternatives to Vicon (so far the best and most popular) mocap cameras. If that would be so easy, most gamedev companies would use that. Unfortunately the quality and range of motions that you can capture with markerless systems is not even near the quality of the real thing. You end up with bad, semi-cartoony animations or 20 times more work trying to handkey the missing/bad data. You know... either you do good mocap or stick with handkeyed cartoony style. Half way is always bad looking and cheap.

The cheapest "indie" friendly thing I found so far is http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/. 6 of those Flex13's would do the trick for static mocap, 9 if you want to capture walking/running. It would be about $9 000-12 000, so not too bad (12 Vicons is $50 000).

BTW. Even if this kinect stuff worked perfectly, there would still be no way to record those mentioned ladders, ledges, monkebars :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  50. Espion

Espion

Hi,

I know you get asked a lot about a controller for your animations so sorry if this is along the same vein; I believe you used Playmaker to make the web demo using the animations. I'm trying to make my own Playmaker controller, but I'm still trying to learn how to do everything. Rather than you putting your own controller online, would you be able to post some screenshots of the different actions you used in the FSMs, please? I'm trying to work things out by myself but I'd appreciate a push in the right direction. For some inexplicable reason I seem to be failing to find any good tutorials.

Thanks for any help you can provide, and thanks for the quality animations!