Search Unity

Mouse rotate script + character move script = weird movement.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by IAmCraigSnedeker, Aug 20, 2014.

1. IAmCraigSnedeker

IAmCraigSnedeker

Okay, so I have this simple script that makes my character (currently, a cube) look at my mouse.

Code (CSharp):
    1. var mousePosition = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint (Input.mousePosition);
    2. Quaternion rot = Quaternion.LookRotation (transform.position - mousePosition, Vector3.forward);
    4. transform.rotation = rot;
    5. transform.eulerAngles = new Vector3 (0, transform.eulerAngles.y, 0);
    Works (yay!). But then I have the character move script (CharacterMove.cs) that also does what I want it do.

Code (CSharp):
    1. void Update () {
    2.         if (Input.GetKey ("w"))
    3.             transform.Translate (Vector3.forward * moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime);
    4.         if (Input.GetKey ("s"))
    5.             transform.Translate (Vector3.back * moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime);
    6.         if (Input.GetKey ("a"))
    7.             transform.Translate (Vector3.left * moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime) ;
    8.         if (Input.GetKey ("d"))
    9.             transform.Translate (Vector3.right * moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime);
    10.     }
    But when combined, the character tries to follow the mouse when I move it.

I dont want it to follow my mouse, only look at it, and movement is strictly controlled by the keyboard.

How can I go about this?

/complete noob

2. Fraconte

Fraconte

You are moving relative to object orientation. If you want your movement to follow the world axis you have to modify all Translate like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. transform.Translate (Vector3.forward * moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime, Space.World);

IAmCraigSnedeker likes this.
  3. IAmCraigSnedeker

IAmCraigSnedeker

Dude, that works perfect. Thank you!

4. IAmCraigSnedeker

IAmCraigSnedeker

Another quick question, not completely related to the original post, but using the same scripts.

The script works fine until I added a empty game object "hands" under the player (which has a cube), then it throws the rotation slightly off (the mouse is now at the right side of the cube instead in front of it, but if I disable "hands" it's fixed).

It still rotates, but not exactly on the mouse. I think this is because it's now seeing the center of the player as a different location because the "gun" cube throws off the center-position of the player.

How can I go about fixing this?