Search Unity

Motorsports Dynamics Engine a.k.a. MoDyEn.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ravel, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Ravel

Ravel

Another video :)
    Fixed a couple of small things.

Alex_V likes this.
  2. Pulov

Pulov

Great video.

The head cam movement looks great.

May be it feels as it had a bit too much super braking capabilities. Just a perception.

3. Ravel

Ravel

Great news guys!!!
    My physics Code is finished for the lite version!
    Also got permission to use a nice nice track anda the same car model.
    Watch out for the public demo in the very next few days.

As for the release, I'm optimizing Unity components and then it's ready for the first public release.
    I'm really happy how things have gone, stay tuned :)

carking1996, John-G and Alex_V like this.
  4. pKallv

pKallv

wow, this is really nice :) ...good work

5. John-G

John-G

Great news indeed, great work.

6. Pulov

Pulov

This one is not based on the latest code but as is different from a racetrack and seen from inside, might be interesting.
    The sensitivity for the pad was too high, hence, some lack of control.

7. Ravel

Ravel

Today I challenged myself with a Group C race car, here is the result:

It was pretty hard to keep the car perfectly straight(tho it didnt affect the overall handling at all), I suspect it was my toe setting, +0.1 deg at front and +0.2 deg at back.
    I have never driven a Group C car before so I dont exactly know how real my setup is but it felt darn good on the track...

So basically about the public demo, the demo itself should be ready, just waiting for some agreements and if I find any bugs that are relative to the demo I'll fix them aswell, but sofar seems like everything is solid.

Right now I'm doing final touches to the components, so the demo and physics package should be ready in 30.11.2014

Pulov and Alex_V like this.
  8. Ravel

Ravel

John-G and Alex_V like this.
  9. bizilux1

bizilux1

got one complaint... why wont car spin tires when starting from 0 speed? it starts so slowly, and wont for the love of god spin tires?

10. Alex_V

Alex_V

bizilux, that's probably the clutch assist if you're using keyboard.
    So far i'm liking it a lot!

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      122.7 KB
      Views:
    Ravel likes this.
  11. bizilux1

bizilux1

im too lazy right now to get my wheel out of closet and wire it in... :)

couldnt find a way to fix keyboard controls... so yeh keyboard acceleration needs fixing a bit

12. Ravel

Ravel

I'd heavly recomend trying it out with the wheel :D
    anyway, keyboard is currently "just to be there" you could aswell, disable TCS, rev up to 8k rpm, switch gear up and off you go. If thats not enough you could add some boost in the tuning menu.

13. bizilux1

bizilux1

i will try with wheel soon

well disabling TCS and holding handbrake, then it will start with a bit of spinoff yes...

but something is still off with clutch and keyboard controls... for example try this:

keyboard ofcourse, and then have car sitting still. and then press right or left, and then forward, you will see how slowly it will turn, because clutch (yellow bar) stays at like 80%.

14. Ravel

Ravel

I can add a jump start like in rFactor, that should solve the problem.

15. Pulov

Pulov

Tips for those testing the demo with KEYBOARD

Alignment: Steering angle to 20º, You'll need more in some turns but at least you'll be able to drive until these...

Braking:
    Bias 40-60
    Torque to 3K each.

Remove TCS

With the XBOX 360 pad increasing the steering to 25º will give you an awesome handling with previous values. Both with Grip and Drift Tires.

Tested also with 28, may be better with this last one.

16. Djiel

Djiel

Looking nice. Seems a lot less stiff than a load of demos ago, which is great.
    Can't wait for the demo and release, perhaps it'll finally be what allows me to properly start :)

A question; how hard will it be to setup (cars and the overal handling feeling) for people that are laymans in regard to car physics etc? (like myself).
    I think that is quite an important selling point and something I'm really wondering as I'm not looking for a full on hardcore sim feel.
    Assuming the driving feeling can be adjusted to my liking, the DLL package version will work out nice since I won't have the knowledge to alter source anyway :)

EDIT: Lol, seems I somehow overlooked a bunch of posts and the demo is already there..
    oh well, rest still applies I guess. Going to check out the demo!

EDIT2: A quick test and I can say it nicely improved, well done.
    Still, it feels very understeery (at least on keyboard), even with TCS off and drift tires/susp.
    Feels fine when braking but at acceleration it just wants to go forward and rear wheels lose no traction. This seems weird for a car of this type (even with engine boosted to 125% + boost 10%). It just gets all jittery when launching but no rear wheel traction loss at higher speeds or going into a steady slide.
    I tried slicks and it's pure understeer :/
    I'm also sad to say I have not been able to perform J-Turns.
    How are the car's base horsepower and torque handled? Are they pre determined in a file or something?
    And lastly, I have not been able to get my older logitech pad to work as intended.. is this something with your package or is it a Unity thing? It's not an XInput device like the 360 pad, so no doubt that has something to do with it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  17. Ravel

Ravel

The setup will be super easy, you load the model in to unity and then apply the script, the script finds wheels (by string names) and then all you have to do is setup the cars parameters, no coding needed at all.
    About the handling, try playing around with downforces, maybe increase frotn downforce and decrease rear, the values are a bit missleading at the moment, but currently there's alot downforce on the rear wing, like 70% more than in the front, wich makes the car understeer, wich is good for race settings, afterall this is a 500hp+ car and it needs good aerodynamics to be handled well, maybe the seting is a bit to good, but this shows that you can have powerfull cars wich are easy to handle.

As for the controller, I think it's a unity thing, because I'm using all the original unity's input stuff :)

Also it has been ~10 days now since I uploaded the package, the reviewing takes hell of a lot time these days...

EDIT:
    J-turns should be possible, because with my sim you can do reverse entrys properly, head to the corner, e-brake hard, turn in with a small angle, hit the brakes right before 90 deg, release the brakes and full throttle, counter steer, boom reverse entry. Play with the e-brake, brake & throttle timing to get some insane angles over 90 deg :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  18. Djiel

Djiel

Thanks for the reply Ravel, I will continue messing about and see if I can get it how I want it :)
    The Light DLL package contains just the physics and nothing else?
    What other packages will end up being available and say I buy the Lite DLL package, is it possible to 'upgrade' to something else? Stuff like e.g. sound engine seems rather useful.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  19. Ravel

Ravel

Djiel, the lite package contains physics, usefull scripts for sounds and cameras and as for special it also includes the replay code, wich is not 100% complete, but as for car development it is good to have a external-spectator view, so it's there as an extra.
    Basically all that is in the public demo is also in the pack minus the media(track & car) I did pack some example media tho, a track wich I modeled myself and some low quality models that should be ok for starers and yes I have permission to do so if anyone has this question in mind :) .

Other versions, versions that I have planend are: Lite, Pro, Lite Source, Pro Source.

Upgrading, personally I'd like to have this option available, dunno how the asset store has this figured, but if this is possible then yes I'd like to offer upgrading from lite to pro etc.

As for the current status of the product.
    Asset store is pending, meanwhile you can purchase the package from sellbox!
    https://p.sellboxhq.com/l/All4/MoDyEn-Lite-Dll

20. Djiel

Djiel

Thanks Ravel, sounds great. I have little interest in the media, I have my own cars and I will be making my own tracks. The rest is rather useful though!
    What are your plans for the Pro version, what will it have over the Lite package?
    I doubt you can set up upgrades in the asset store, but perhaps you could handle it with more personal purchases or something.

I spent some more time with the demo and using the last tire option makes it much better for me :)
    Only thing still bugging me is the incredibly slow/no wheelspin start previously mentioned by bizilux1
    Does the blowoff sound and boost setting in the tuning menu mean that the package comes with turbo charger support out of the box? :) Just making sure since I definitely require this.

P.S there seems to be a bug with the restart menu function in the demo, making you stuck.
    Also, it's possible to fly off the track into the void :p

21. Ravel

Ravel

Youre welcome!
    The pro version will have more detail in simulation, realtime geometric suspension effects, tire pressure, tire wear, tire heating, tire grip change, brake wear and so on. Pro is more aimed to the sim racers.

Yes boost will work out of the box, but for bov sounds, you'd currently have to use the same method used in rFactor, create sound samples for off throttle that start with a bov sound. It's quite effective tho! The wheelspinn can be achieved with a little external script that I'll add in for an update. Yes there is a bug with the restart button, and it's a bug of unity, I'm reloadingthe scene but stuff from the last scene is still in memory, causing this weird bug...

22. Ravel

Ravel

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

24. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Hi Ravel! Does Modyen have torque(engine) physics? Does Modyen have HDR? Is the AWD differential fixed?
    In the Pro version I want:
    Tyre Deformation
    Tyre Dirt when you go off-road but gone when on road
    Photorealistic Next Gen graphics(Comparable to Real Life, PS4, and Xbox One)
    Dynamic Weather(ie Cloudy, Rainy, Snowy, etc.)
    Functional Wipers
    Rainy will affect Tyre grip
    Rain collected on cars
    Dynamic Time(24 hours)
    Car Lights(Headlights, Tailights, Interior Lights like on Dashboard, etc.)
    Racetrack lights
    Off-road Racing(Dirt, Gravel, Snow, etc.)
    Off-road collected on cars
    Off-road clean by Rainy on cars
    Affects Grip on Off-road
    Different Types of Tyres(Street, Sport, Racing, Racing Wet Intermediate, Racing Wet, Dirt, Snow, and Drag)
    Fuel System
    Tyre Wear
    Brake Wear
    Realistic Car Damage(Visual and Mechanical)
    Both Headlight and Taillight Damage
    Mechanical Failiures
    Engine Wear
    Engine Damage at High RPM
    Telemetry

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  25. Ravel

Ravel

Hello Davidbillmanoy

MoDyEn reads the torque data like every other common sim yes.
    As for HDR, I recently created a universal environment system wich supports HDR, but it's not a part of MoDyEn Lite.
    Altho I'm currently in progress to port the plugin to Unity5, infact the 32bit version should allready work with MoDyEn.
    AWD Differentials are completely rewriten and so far they have worked fine :)

I'll concider your Pro feature list, but I will not quarante every feature ;) BUT some of the features you mentioned are allready in the pro source version :) As for tires, the tire data is changable in the Lite version aswell.

Here's a few shots with my universal HDR shader:

The whole scenery is using a single shader.

And here's a first shot in Unity5(stock shaders, so this result can be achieved with just MoDyEn Lite and Unity!):
    MoDyEn Unity5.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    Alex_V likes this.
  26. Ravel

Ravel

Great news guys! The plugin is now working 100% on Unity5 the 32 bit and 64 bit version, both and I'm gettign a mac today. So I will begin the development of Mac plugin. After that I'll look into android aswell. So there will eb a huge update in the near couple of days!

chrome e34.jpg

27. Pulov

Pulov

Ravel, Epic stuff.;)

28. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Ravel I hope the pictures you just showed me look photorealistic.

BTW Nice Mac and If you have a mac, You can also do Ios too.

29. Ravel

Ravel

More news, got the mac version working today! So far it's basically the smoothest racing game i've played on a mac tbh.

30. Ravel

Ravel

Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 15.31.56.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 12.43.34.png
    A small proof of concept, this is a screen of the new Demo build, built whit Unity5, running on Macbook pro mid2009.
    The build for mac is a bundle, so it should work on iOS devices aswell. Will confirm once it's tested.

31. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Does the pictures above are photorealistic?

32. Ravel

Ravel

Sorry I dont understand the question... If you are asking about the shaders, then it's up to the user to decide if it's photorealistic or not. Right now on the last 2 screens I'd say its not photorealistic, you'll need some screen filters to achieve the ultimate realism.

Also on the last screens the shaders are not mine, its all Unity5. My shaders will be updated soon. Currently I'm focusing on the physics package.

33. Alex_V

Alex_V

Have you tried any sort of rally car on gravel/dirt/whatever terrain? Or is that too much for Unity to handle right now?

34. Ravel

Ravel

Havent tried any rally settup yet. Gravel surface is achievable allready. So in theory rallying is possible.
    But for a confirmation I would need suitable media and car/tire data to try it out. :)

For now I have been fully focusing on the accuracy. The new demo I'm working on, will have alot of improvements over the previous demo.

Alex_V likes this.
  35. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

You should put photorealistic screen filters for the latest demo and for photorealism.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  36. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

For the Weather Inclusions, can you put UniStorm?

37. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

When is the Pro version coming out?

38. Ravel

Ravel

Sorry I'm unable to anwser at the time. I'm having health problems and everything is on hold for now. I'll reply with a more informative anwser shortly. But one thing is for sure there will be an update for the lite version befor the pro version. Thank you for your patience! Ravel.

39. studiosolid

studiosolid

Just wondering if anyone has used this or is using this in production yet? Looks fantastic for one of our projects, no reviews on the asset store at the moment

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  40. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

What features does Source have?

41. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

If I buy Lite version, I want to upgrade to pro and source.

42. Ravel

Ravel

Hello all of you. I've been working on some internal stuff lately and I've also updated the package in the Asset Store, but it takes some time to get the update reviewed. Currently the stuff I'm working on is CPU load related, because of the simulation accuracy, it's currently not very mobile friendly. So I'm working hard to get it more mobile friendly.

The pro version will be finished once the lite version is fully covered (all platforms and documentation)

Davidbillmanoy, please PM me.

43. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Does Modyen have Assetto Corsa FFB style? because I want the best sim feel possible.

44. Ravel

Ravel

I sent you a private Demo to try out the ffb. The ffb is built as accurate as possible, the tire data(ffb aswell) is designed by a former race driver, Fredrik Sorlie.
    I'm unsure how accurate Assetto Corsa's ffb is because I encounter input lag with this game.
    I think every sim that has the ffb internally built correctly should have real life behaviour! The latest version of MoDyEn has this. But it takes some time to get the Asset Store package updated. The current version is 1.0.0.9.

45. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

BTW, Have you played Assetto Corsa?

46. Ravel

Ravel

Yes I have played Assetto Cors, I like it, but I have eperienced input lag with this game. So for me the ffb is not accurate!

47. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

You like Assetto Corsa right? What FFB not accurate? Modyen's or Assetto Corsa? Is FFB and FFB Accuracy in Modyen better than Assetto Corsa?

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  48. Ravel

Ravel

For me the FFB in Assetto Corsa is not accurate, Because of input delay. I cant play AC with my G27, I steer in real life and Assetto Corsa steers a millisecond later. This is what happens with me when I play AC.

49. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Does Modyen include car shaders?

50. Ravel

Ravel

MoDyEn lite does not include car shaders. But it takes a good use of Unity5 own shader capability, the latest screenshots are taken with unity 5 shaders.