Search Unity

Motorsports Dynamics Engine a.k.a. MoDyEn.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ravel, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Ravel

Ravel

Motorsports Dynamics Engine

SUMMARY:
    Motorsports Dynamics Engine A.k.a. MoDyEn is a AAA class realistic modular simulation plugin/package for Unity3d.

With MoDyEn, you can achieve the racing game of your dreams, because it has been carefully developed by an motorsports enthusiast. The development progress under Unity has been about 4 years. The learning curve has been 10 years. Because theoredical wasn't enough, I had to build up my car as a race car to gain real experience with cars that have stiff suspension and racing tires.

So alot of my experience lays around a bmw e36 with racing suspension and a bmw e34 touring with coilovers, 18" rims and falken tires and having a huge camber angle at back for more traction, because it's a wagon. This combination gave me the perfect understanding of what a car is capable of at high speeds(such as 220km/h, the grip that you gain with down force and stability that you love when the suspension is stiffer but not too stiff.

I simply love cars and I cant get enough of them in real life and this is why I wanted to remake the sensation in virtuality, once I discovered unity I saw a perfect combination, it took time, but I'm sure it was worth it!

[10/28/2017]Update!Revision 2.0 Just got finished!
    It has been awhile since the initial release, but the wait is greatly awarded, with an update that packs quite abit! A brand new core for example.

New in Revision 2.0:
    - Complete Rewrite of the project
    - Runge Kutta 4 Integration (Huge performace boost, up to 100 cars at minimum impact to CPU, runs at stable 60HZ now!)
    - New Inspector UI
    - Deformable tires
    - Stylish new UI with Telemetry
    ...And Much More!

LIST OF KEY FEATURES:
    1. Drivetrain:
    • Gearbox simulation
    • Clutch simulation
    • Engine simulation: Torque, compression & Horsepower (output only)
    • Two Engine simulation models (Basic & TorqueCurve)
    • Backfire simulation
    • FWD/RWD/AWD Drivetrains
    • Differentials (open, adjustable locking 1-way, 1.5-way & 2.0-way)
    • Turbocharger simulation
    • Basic driving aids (steering assist, TCS & ABS) Enough to get you started
    2. Suspension
    • Camber Adjustment, Static & Dynamic
    • Toe Adjustment
    • Caster Adjustment
    • Ackerman Adjustment
    • Pivot Offset Adjustment
    • Ride height
    • Bumpstops
    • Packers
    • Fast/slow rebound dampening
    • Fast/slow bump dampening
    • Antiroll bars
    3. Tire:
    • Realistic forcefeedback (tested with G27 wheel)
    • Combined Pacejka89 tire model
    • Deformable tires
    4. Brakes:
    • Brake torque
    • Brake pressure
    • Brake bias
    • Brake heat glow
    5. Aerodynamics:
    • Aerodynamics model (base, front and rear wing)
    • Drag & downforce's

Additional bonus features:
    • Basic physically-based metallic paint shader Included!
    • External configuration loader Included!
    • New UI Included! (Ready for further development by the user)
    • Minimap with feathered edges Included!
    ...and more! :)

DEMOS:

Bryce Canyon
    Revision 2.0 [UPDATE! 10/28/2017]

I recommend trying the demos with a G27 wheel, because this is what I used for the development and ffb is where the racing really gets you!

Also make sure that if something bothers you, try to finetune the car to your needs, every parameter is important in the tuning page and everything affects the way you drive or drift ;)
    If you feel something is wrong, feel free to share your thoughts!

GET IT NOW:
    You can find the current released version here. (DLL Only atm.)
    Update is in the works and will be released once it's finished.
    Currently supporting PC(Dll) in Unity5. Also currently the plugin is backwards compatible with older Unity versions(4.x). Will try to keep it like that, but will not focus on it.

MoDyEn Unity5.jpg
    MoDyEn ScreenShot 1.jpg
    new toyota.PNG
    HighQuality Shaders 14.PNG
    ShadersNModyen.PNG

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Charkes likes this.
  2. Fu11English

Fu11English

That's awesome man! The physics are perfect. Best ive seen on Unity. Keep up the good work this is great!

3. Meltdown

Meltdown

Good job I'm sure that will sell nicely on the asset store.

4. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Question: Can this be used with 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles? If you included these with this I could buy it in a heartbeat.

5. nullstar

nullstar

Impressive works, its got loads of character. The lateral grip loss with high slip ratios if probably a little excesive in my opinion though which makes it difficult to get the power back on after passing the apex of a corner. Keep it up though dude, excellent work.

PS: I think the problem above is also what is causing the vehicle to be so unstable under heavy braking. Do you have a ABS system in place? Maybe try dialing that up a bit or putting one in if there isn't one already. Either that are you could make the longitudinal force curves for the tyres asymmetric so they are more generous and forgiving under braking. I dont know how you've implemented things though so I'm just guessing. That's only my opinion anyway dude.

Good luck

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  6. Quality3DHD

Quality3DHD

First supra i see with no reverse

7. xniinja

xniinja

pretty cool, keep up the good work.

8. Ravel

Ravel

Quality3DHD: youl have to switch the reverse in manually.
    Vodistar: I dont have any aids such as tcs or abs, im creating a raw car at first. This problem might be caused because the braking torques are to high and since i added a engine torque multiplyer to the tuning box, then the brakes actually are constant but they should be also tweakable, but its a quick tuning box anyways...
    OmniverseProductions: I havent researched on bikes that much, but i'm sure the technical part can be done easly, but for thebalacing i'll ned to research abit. but for 3 wheel vehicles i think there is no problem since they dont need bodyweight balancing to be driven.

And for others thanks for the kind comments.

9. Wolfos

Wolfos

Very, very good.

10. omarzonex

omarzonex

very nice

version player unity failer

can't opening never .............

why

11. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Thank you! In that case I'll go with 3 or 4 wheeled vehicles.

Edit: If you release this in the asset store I know I'll definitely buy it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  12. Ravel

Ravel

omarzonex, hmm try cleaning your unityplayer cache?
    OmniverseProductions, thanks for the comment, when my project id more stable and easyer to configure, i'll see how a 2 wheeled vehicle should behave in my project

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  13. Slipangle

Slipangle

Hi there,
    Great work your're doing there! Had some fun throwing Aasbo's car around :)

Just a couple of questions: Is this scratch made physics or is it based on UnityCar/Edy?
    And also, what are your plans for the next version of the demo?

14. Ravel

Ravel

Hello, Thanks for the nice comment and glaf you had fun with it.
    It is scratch made, and does not have any connections to unitycar or edy's physics.

My plans for the next version, is to make it more stable, remove some strange bugs(such as neutral gear not reving up correctly), make a garage like main menu for more gamelike demonstration. Ideally i would like to give the need for speed shift visual feedback because i love the gfx and all those camera movements, but the vehicle dynamics are bad in shift, so id like to release my own some sort of a lfs/nfs hybrid tech demo for the next release. In that case it should be good for demonstrating the main features of my MoDyEn project clearly enough imo.

15. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Nice, but what I have discovered that really big changes to the setup doesn't do that much to the actual handling.
    Biggest 'bug' I've found (just my 2cents ;) ) is, that there seems to be no change to the center of gravity. Even with 1 meter of clearance height, the car handles nicely :/ :D

and 2.: you should add the option to set up the anti roll bars, that would be cool :)

greets!

16. Slipangle

Slipangle

Cool. I wasn't too happy with both Edy's and UnityCar behaviour. Yours feels more fluid and somehow "organic".
    But as dennis_s2k said, you need to add/modify some features.

I wouldn't worry on graphics for now as they will eat up a lot of your time that could be spent on further improving the physics model.

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm interested in purchasing a very lightweight optimised mobile car done using raycast wheels and has actual options for arcade style play if anyone's up for it.

18. Patriick

Patriick

I think this is pretty great! I look forward to seeing the finished product...

19. Toretto

Toretto

Hi man! check your PM, i wait 2 days =\

20. Ravel

Ravel

Did alot of tweaking and fixed alot of bugs... Check it out http://sideways.dezine.net.ee/

Bugfixes:
    - Center Of Gravity change with suspension length.
    - Clutch force fix(does'nt insanely brake the engine anymore when shifting down)
    - Aerodynamics forumla was running 2 times.
    - Ackerman steering had the oposite effect, corrected.
    - Engine rev fix.

Added:
    - Simple Race Timer
    - WIP Ghost car
    - Fading brake lights
    - Surface bump amplitude
    - 1,2,3 - camera views

Changed:
    - Raycast to Capsulecast
    - Track Car
    - Cleaned code

For a drifter, set the front spring 90, rear 70, front camber -4, drop the car a litle bit lower, steering angle of 58 and a torque multiplyer of 2or3.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  21. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Very, very nice. It feels really polished with the high quality sound and exhaust pop. Any chance of showing off a non-drift setup? What's your eta on release? Again, great work. On my list of buys when it's released.

Edit: Oh any plans to implement damage?

22. Ravel

Ravel

Hi Gherid!

Thank you for your kind comments. The cars naturally tending to be tail hapy because of the powerful engine and slick tires, but yes i am also adding TCS and ABS soon and for a hotlaping car i will also add more gripy tires. I think im going to release it soon, just need to make the code more user friendly and add some more little features (damage is probably one of them).

23. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Hi Ravel,

I can't believe I missed your first post, it seems you are doing a great job with these Vehicle Physics so I would like to add support for your product in my Racing AI package (see the link in my signature). I have worked with other developers and you will probably need to make small changes in the code you use for reading the user input, but it shouldn't take too long (2-3 hours at most) and I can help you with the process.

Have you already decided the price of this product?

24. Wolfos

Wolfos

A suggestion: reset the physics when pressing the reset button.

25. Ravel

Ravel

Hi david, I first want to get this thing working as solid as possible, right now there still are some places to tweak, if i get the first ready to release version ready, I'm sure it's possible to add the ai behavior, to be honest there allready is ai throttle, brake and steering inputs allready, i did some tests with a simple ai earlyer.

Hm havent thought about the price tag right now since its not ready and im not focused on how fast i can make buck out of it, first things first. Anyway i think the price tag would be somewhere near 150 I quess, since Ive but a lot of work time in it. But the price may change.

Wolfos, haha yeah i forgot about the reseting function, it's tottaly a really quick position reset, will fix that soon.

26. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Ok, if you are interested, send me a PM when you are closer to the release date so we can offer integration between our products since the first release.

27. anadin

anadin

Very, very nice indeed, looking forward to it's release

28. Slipangle

Slipangle

Great update!
    Apart from the suggestions already made, i think tiresmoke kicks in too soon (but that may be because i tested it with KB instead of a wheel).

anyways keep it up!

29. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Yeah, I've got a feeling it plays totally different with a wheel. I need to just buck up and get a G sometime soon....

30. Ravel

Ravel

http://sideways.dezine.net.ee/mustang/ check out this temporary version on a nfs shift track.

New Features:
    - better sounds (3 on samples, 3 off samples for engine, brake friction)
    - new shaders built from scratch suporting metalic and candy colors
    - and today i decided to make some default gagues nice solid gagues also with photoshop, they are inspired by nfs shift because i really like the overall nfs shift visual look, but they are made from scratch.
    - reseting is now better(sometimes explosions still hapen)
    - some more minor tweaks fixes

Screenshot:

31. dINGLE

dINGLE

Finally! A car in Unity with great handling!
    Hope to see this on the asset store :)

32. Ravel

Ravel

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  33. Taigo

Taigo

Outstanding job!
    That´s totally something i would buy

34. Ravel

Ravel

A bit offtopic but I just tested out the capabilities of my new shaders...
    The results are quite nice, altho i cant seem to get a color mask texture to work.
    A pic:

35. Mishaps

Mishaps

Sounds awesome Ravel. Have you tried it on mobile platforms yet? Also do your car shaders work on iOS?

36. Ravel

Ravel

Some news:
    Got replays visually working with correct timing. Picture captured from one of the replays, showing off the shaders again and physics(suspension etc.). Also got some important improvements on the tire model done, no more random explosions!

Currently i have updated the Fredric Aasbos supra also and it drifts like a beast!
    Tho since im having some internet connection dificulties this week, I'll post news next week if there are any. Hopefully there will be a little showoff demo also for the MoDyEn next week. So stay tuned!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  37. henry96

henry96

OMG!!! Breathtaking graphic you have here. Awesome Job!

38. Pulov

Pulov

uuuuu yesss.>>> super hot shots>>> cant wait for the next demoooo>>>:grin:

39. Ravel

Ravel

40. Pulov

Pulov

Those screens look like renders!! What is this GT 4,9??!!. Its amazing!!! Post a vid when you can please.

41. KickAss91

KickAss91

Oh ! C'mon Man !!! What ? Another Translation of Project "Racer" ???!!!
    or better say another "CarX" ???

even the turbo and it's sounds and all the thing's are same !!!
    your work is good Ravel , but , it will be better if you work on something that it's "YOURS" not a simple Translation ;)

be Aware of what you are Doing !

Good Luck;)

42. Ravel

Ravel

Well actually it is mine, the sounds are freeware from the net so they are repetive indeed. It has no influence to CarX whatsoever, but racer, vdrift and torcs are learning points to get my own implementations working. And when it comes to translations / conversions as you may say, then Unitycar for example is a pure Vdrift Conversion, it even feels the same way when trying to get the car sideways. On the other hand my "translation" as you may say is not feeling the same in any to any of the previously mentioned projects. I have my own bugs that I am fighting to get rid of. Take it this way, if it was a translation/conversion, it wouldnt thake me this long to release it ;)

43. KickAss91

KickAss91

well , actually i have all these physic packs (UnityCar , Edy , Carx , DriverToolKit) and also have all the Freebie opensource projects.
    UnityCar doesn't seems to be Vdrift !
    and i dont mean so so simple :D but Converting is Converting (i know it takes so much Effort to convert native C++ codes to unity ready stuff)
    oohhh c'mon Ravel ! your is feeling same as CarX ;)
    it's not bad ! but , just put things where they are belong's to ! don't show it so huge , dont show it as nothing.

i just wanna say that be aware what you doing ! maybe some ppl come to you and told you , OH HAHA ! your a cheater , its not your project and so on ... and wanna destroy your Face !
    so be aware.

Good Luck

44. Slipangle

Slipangle

So you're saying Ravel paid a minimum of 4200USD so he could copy CarX source code?

45. Ravel

Ravel

@KickAss91 ..seems like you dont know what you are talking about, specially for you i'm going to contact CarX Developers and show you that my project is not CarX. It sure may feel close to it because im doing accurate simulations the right way. And UnityCar is based on Vdrift for sure, NewLife even has posted in Vdrifts Forums showing how his doing his project based on Vdrift.

Anyway thanks for caring but i will have no problems as you mentioned, somebody destroying my face etc. My code is not cheated like you say. Only problem i have right now is you, i mean how can you even say such a thing if you havent seen a part of it?
    If you are not interested in my project then please dont buy it when i release it, I'm not forcing you. After all its your choise what you use.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  46. KickAss91

KickAss91

No am Saying that CarX is a Converted mod of project "Racer" , and his Physics is Feel's like Racer and CarX !
    it's not bad , i just say that its kinda repetitive.
    and i hope he do something to prevent users from this kinda Feeling ;)

47. KickAss91

KickAss91

aaammm Ravel , Maybe am Writing too bad for you :(

i just wanna meant that do something to not feel closely to the CarX Cause it uses the Racer too ...
    any way good luck.

48. SobhanNina

SobhanNina

@ Kick Ass : friend , Ravel is Right ! all of project's has to have a start point ! so is that really matter if he uses Racer , I donno anything similar ?

many ppl know about the OpenSource Projects in the web ...
    and it's a Great Deal to Convert Codes from Native form to Unity3D ready one's

and yes you are writing too bad for him ! :D
    if anyone read your post he/she can understand that you widely Open Fire to Ravel !
    it can be understand that you are Vehicle Physic folk , and maybe a customer of our Pack , i mean Unity Car.
    we all want to help you guys have great options for Vehicle Sim's , Games , etc.

so no need for this kinda Heat UP okey ?

Cheer's.

49. Slipangle

Slipangle

So... CarX took the Race 0.50 source code, which is now very old? So what if they did? i'm pretty sure the laws of physics are still the same, regardless of the game. And also i'd bet my money that even if someone took an OPEN SOURCE code as a starting point, they'd improve it and by the end of the development, very few traces of the original code lines would be present.

Can we focus on the development of these assets please?

50. newlife

newlife

ravel if you have problems with someone, please don't throw mud on my package ok? You dont even know how much work is in it. Writing on vdrift forum asking for help, doesn't mean anything. So stop writing bullshit ok?
    Btw this is really funny, cause both you and I know that your code is a c# translation of racer 0.5 code.