Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

moto RKD dash on STEAM, iTunes and Google Play

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by nukeD, Sep 26, 2015.

1. nukeD

nukeD

Hey guys, here is my first SOLO game! Been working as graphic designer and animator for advertising for the past 20 years. I've also made a couple of games for companies, but this one is the first game that i manage to complete by myself and sell on the mobile markets without any external influence!
    So as an artist i used PlayMaker actions for the entire game, no other scripts whatsoever.
    As you see the game looks good, with very simple arcade game mechanics. The interface is designed for 7+ inchTablets or iPad, but can be played just as well on a phone... just not the same 'arcade cabinet' feeling.

Do you remember Tomy Turbo Racing Dashboard 1983 and SEGA moto champ 1973? Mix them together with a small drop of Hang-On and you get moto RKD dash.
    No DLC, no in game advertising, no in app purchases, just simple and fun game... like old times!​

The game is available for Android and very soon for iOS, please check out the game page for more info and links to the app stores.

As any SOLO developer i must say that i couldn't possibly do it alone!
    Thanks to my wife, son, my friends and 2 great professional musicians for being there for me unconditionally!​

oh... and when the game is beat, a special game is unlocked

Guys, this is it! The game is finally on iTunes!!! As i'm not a company in the store seller info my real name appears, which is kinda embarrassing but on the other hand you know that im a real person... somewhere in spacetime, in front of some monitor.

go to dash.rkd.zone
    or directly to iTunes

Thanks!!!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    John3D, Gametyme, musaranya and 2 others like this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Quality work nukeD. Will wait for it to come to iOS to check it out.
    I really like the smoothness -
    Did you also use the curvedworld asset as well?
    It's motivating to see another well made, artist created PlayMaker game hit the store shelves.

Congrats on releasing, especially on so many platforms.

3. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks a lot man, i found curved world at the end of development of the game, so i didn't use it. Its all hand modeled in cylindrical form :D

Sabathius and theANMATOR2b like this.
  4. raiden

raiden

This is about as well polished of a game as I have seen! I'm a big fan of arcade games, played tons of them growing up, and this def is my style.

I'd love to hear some of your road map for the development of this game. Making games of this quality is what every developer should strive for.

Thanks so much!

-Raiden

5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Great request raiden - I second it.

That day might have been fun to be a fly on the wall, to see your reaction to the curved world asset. :)

Can you update here when iOS version becomes available please. Looks like a game I'll enjoy playing with my son.

6. nukeD

nukeD

Hey, thanks for the amazing words raiden!
    I would love, but what began as a roadmap turned into a journey that took 10 times the estimations i had... and for such a simple game, but it can be done! Please ask me something more specific, i would love to share whatever experiences i had.

Hey, animator!
    Of course, i've sent the files to a friend of mine with a mac to compile, we've had some setbacks with xcode versions, but we're there.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. zenGarden

zenGarden

That's a great remake :)

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Now that's multi-tasking right there!
    Cigar to you.

9. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks man, lets see how long i last :D
    In other news the game is approved by Apple and will launch very, very soon on iOS!!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. nukeD

nukeD

Guys, this is it! The game is finally on iTunes!!! As i'm not a company in the store seller info my real name appears, which is kinda embarrassing but on the other hand you know that im a real person... somewhere in spacetime, in front of some monitor.

go to dash.rkd.zone
    or directly to iTunes

As before i will suggest an iPad for a big HD image and easier controls.

If you're like: 'meh, another day, another game... i'm not giving away my coffee money for this crap' i would assure you that its an old skool bare bones game, it has none of the established stereotypes in todays mobile market.

Thanks for reading!!​

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    Kos-Dvornik and theANMATOR2b like this.
  11. nukeD

nukeD

Good news everyone!!!
    The iOS update is finally up for grabs and it has GAME CENTER, yes!
    I'm a strong believer in images in posts, so here you go Early WIP screens of the Computer (win, mac, linux) version, i havent added IBL and radiosity lightmaps, so it will look different... i'll keep you posted

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    theANMATOR2b and zenGarden like this.
  12. nukeD

nukeD

Check out the top 10... in case any of you is playing ;)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  13. nukeD

nukeD

guys i'm very happy to announce that finally!!!!

14. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good.

What ligtening do you u for your game tracks and player models ?

15. nukeD

nukeD

Default Unity 4.5.2 Lighting. I have PRO for PC, but not for mobile, so everything was lightmapped and illuminated with the 'free mobile' version of unity. The player models use the default bumped shader with normal maps.

At the beginning i had SkyShop installed but i couldnt make it work well with mobile, i hope i can get it back in the game for the desktop version.
    I always set the ambient light with a vivid and not so dark color, that way we can get sorta IBL approximation.

theANMATOR2b and zenGarden like this.
  16. nukeD

nukeD

Hey guys i made some trippy wallpapers for the upcoming PC version:p

17. zenGarden

zenGarden

What additions will get the PC version ?
    Keep the good work nukeD.

18. nukeD

nukeD

Mostly graphical. At first i thought i should keep the vertical orientation of the screen, to preserve the arcade experience, but then i considered that i could do something different, we already have the tate mode on tablets, so how would the game look on a horizontal 16X9 screen... even though it was conceived and built exclusively with the vertical screen in mind?

When redesigning the menu i wanted to give it a little bit more retro futuristic look, something that could be done in the 1960, but can also be done in 2020. The menu is extremely simple as you see. By using one button on the controller or the keyboard the player enables or disables all camera post effects, no options menu.

I completely redid the DASHBOARD (the main feature of the mobile version and the idea that started the game in the first place). Adapting it to wide screen had its design challenges, now its a little bit more digital, than alalogue, but not too much, it also has more blinking lights. It is a 3D model, so the perspective you see going on there is real.
    Of course i couldn't resist and added some post effects, BUT this is a wip, so everything can change.

Also on the LCD game screen i made this kaleidoscope that animates slowly while a very trippy (similar to Shpongle) tune is playing, which contrasts with the very nature of an mechanistic LCD game.

I've planed some sort of online leaderboard (the iOS version has Game Center already), but first i'll finish it and get it out the door, then i'll keep adding.

Thanks for reading guys and thanks zenGarden ;)

zenGarden likes this.
  19. nukeD

nukeD

and a small teaser video...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  20. nukeD

nukeD

we dive deeper and deeper into the ocean of consciousness

21. nukeD

nukeD

Sabathius likes this.
  22. umen

umen

This looks beautiful game , is there any plan to make it free to try ?
    How does it run on iOS 4s ?

23. nukeD

nukeD

I had a demo planned, but scrapped it since this is a $2 game, not a full priced console production.
    There is FREE demo for android on itch.io with 3 levels... its for an older version but it would still give you an idea what the game is about.
    it doesn't :(

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  24. nukeD

nukeD

more PC wip

25. nukeD

nukeD

26. nukeD

nukeD

Here is the next clip in the series of 'teasers' for the PC release... looks like youtube video compression doesnt like red colors, sorry for that

27. nukeD

nukeD

YAY! Ubuntu is working... and running even smoother than windows

28. nukeD

nukeD

almost done... almost

29. nukeD

nukeD

30. nukeD

nukeD

im lucky to have two professional musicians give me the opportunity to use their music for the game. Check out Kliment and approxima astrolabos on SoundCloud and blow your minds :p

31. nukeD

nukeD

32. nukeD

nukeD

33. nukeD

nukeD

34. nukeD

nukeD

An interesting view on things in this update.

35. nukeD

nukeD

zenGarden likes this.
  36. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good job :)

37. nukeD

nukeD

I woke up this morning thinking 'the percentage to the top 100 is dropping again' then suddenly i see this. I refreshed the page a couple of times and tried different browsers to make sure im not tripping.
    Thanks to you guys! Lets see what happens now.

zenGarden likes this.
  38. zenGarden

zenGarden

Well done, congratulations nukeD :)

39. nukeD

nukeD

40. zenGarden

zenGarden

Conrats nukeD, you made a really great job.
    What is your next game plan ? :)

nukeD likes this.
  41. nukeD

nukeD

Move to Peru or Chile and live far away from the cities...
    but until i can do this i have a couple of game concepts that i've worked on (some playable some not) i just have to decide and take the journey again. As always the ideas are simple, bright and friendly for kids of all ages.

zenGarden likes this.
  42. nukeD

nukeD

This is something i worked on much before moto, i wont be picking it up again, but will use as a base/visual reference for a little something i'll do soon.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    GhulamJewel and Griffo like this.
  43. zenGarden

zenGarden

The cars are great, perhaps you'll turn that in some Chase HQ game or something else :)

44. GhulamJewel

GhulamJewel

That looks awesome! Was hoping to see gameplay but menu looks professional.

45. nukeD

nukeD

Yeah that sucks, the gameplay is in prototype stage and in a different build, let me see if i can find it :p

edit: here i found a very early test i made in 2013 with unity 4 free, much before i bought pro. The video doesn't show, but gameplay was pretty fun.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    GhulamJewel and Griffo like this.
  46. GhulamJewel

GhulamJewel

Perhaps can make this into a Burnout type of game.

47. nukeD

nukeD

A little bit more tuning done, called moto SP now :p If you already have it, check out the update, we need to stir the Leaderboards a bit.

STEAM

Thanks guys!

48. nukeD

nukeD

My favorite hobby as a teenager, besides video games was collecting video game magazines. I spent countless hours imagining how a game would be just by watching grainy screenshots. Today printed magazines are almost gone and seeing one in real life is very exciting. And even more exciting is seeing my own little game on one of the pages... a game magazine with my game on it? My life is complete now!

Thank you PC Guru guys from Hungary!

And the fact that i got a higher score than games like Mighty 9 and Mirror's Edge is ridiculous :p

49. Houman47

Houman47

I like the Curve style of the Levels

nukeD likes this.
  50. nukeD

nukeD

Hey guys, a little bit of self-promo. I'm preparing an update for September to lessen the pain of the new school year :p
    The graphics update (IBL) is for the PC, macOS, steamOS and Linux.

Here is the update info poster.

The Image Based Lighting gives a better look overall.

Also updated the web page for next week

If you like what you're seeing and think its worth it, tell your friends and share the word... i'm doing this by myself, nobody else (like, no PR, advertising agencies, press releases, etc) :p

here is the FB and TW if you feel like it.

Thanks a lot!