Search Unity

Mortal Damnation - Post Apocalyptic Survival RPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ExDeaDguY, Jul 18, 2014.

1. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Wearing equipment, Opening backpack on ground, yadi-yada

2. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

lil this and a lil that from the asset store (freebies) (Stand in assets)

Also.. Just set up "Name Generation". characters will be provided with randomly generated names based on gender. Currently using 50 male first names, 50 female first names and 20 last names. Will add more eventually. allows for a more versatile selection of member at your base/camp. Will also have randomly generated character looks in the future once more mesh's, clothing etc is available.

3. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Spent the last day and a half remaking the container system, inventory, and movement/jump system. Its coming along really good now its time to move on to some actual gameplay stuff!

4. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

I finally finished the code for backpacks, and wow.. A lot of code it was! I think it came out great though! The inventory works unlike any I have used before, You are free to move the items in the backpack around anywhere inside of the bag freely with no cheesy "Tiles". Even stack items on top of other items if you want! The only limitation is weight.. A bag can hold so much weight, after that nothing else can go in.

You can also see that the random name generation has been completed and added for other humans.

So far I am very satisfied with the outcome of the UI. If you have any feedback feel free to leave a comment. Thanks for reading!

-Eddy

5. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

The inventory system is complete. I thought I was finished previously but I needed a few more things. Now it is amazing if I must say so myself :). Can drag and drop items from inv to backpack etc now among other things. Check out the awesomeness!

Each character gets their own inventory and backpack UI so you can move items around from players to bags back to other players. I love it ^_^.

ALSO: As a side note.. Posts will be less frequent now :(. I'm going to start keeping track of build #s and posting a new news update for each build with a video. This way I can go through a bundle of changes all at once. I feel it will be more satisfying to me and you guys out there. Plus it will keep me working instead of getting the need/want to post a new video every time i finish 1 system :p lol.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  6. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

It has been almost a week since I posted.. and I do not have a video or an image to show at the moment as some code is still being created, however... I do have a lot more done and I can't wait to show you guys! I currently am making this game highly modifiable at the moment by allowing placement of JSON files in the build folders and upon running these files will be picked up and converted into gameobjects that can be used in game. Im talking about... Fully customizable items, item crafting blueprints, add your own models, add your own textures, assign those textures to item icons and models. The whole shebang! This is a lot of code... But it will be hell-a-worth it! So when this is ready for alpha, all of you survival fanatics can go nuts with custom content and modding to apeez the community while development is being done.

Upon alpha builds I will try my hardest not to touch the code that imports all of these files into items, mobs, etc. So files hopefully wont need to be edited once a new update is released.. Anyways.. I cant wait to finish this up and show everyone! :).

I also finished a basic dialogue system that shows a short 4 page intro at the moment, along with a hotbar for placing items in. (Plus re-worked movement a lot. But that's all backend that will help me more then the visuals).

7. CowardAgent

CowardAgent

I can hardly give you a feedback about the game, but since I am working on my own surviva game for about 4 - 5 months, I can give you some tips.
    1. Make it diffrence than another survival game, your game might be succesful even if it will be the same as any other survival game (look at unturned), but you really should come up with new ideas.
    2. Survival games arent real survival games, simply because if it would be a real survival you wont tell anyone "I am friendly" and then shoot him.
    3. There is another survival game in the forum, I think it called Survivom or something, their idea to make players not kill each other is - 1. No automatic guns (it doesnt really matter) 2. When you kill a player, you cant get his loot (never do it, it is an awful idea)
    4. No zombies, because you cant make them hard to kill, but they will be annoying for new players, or fresh spawners, but when you have a gun they become a joke and just ruin the overall expreience, if you want to have some kind of enemies you should really think about something else, just dont add zombies they are evil.
    5. Unlimited sprint is a must, and you should run fast, there are some fun survival games like warz which are fun, but they are really annoying because the map is big and you have limited sprint + you run very slow.
    6. Hunger system, there are some games that your food bar can get to 0 in 20 mins, this is annoying.
    7. Buliding system, dont just make the player place a wall and he has a wall, the forest did amazing work with the buliding system. (if you will add buliding system)

I know that everyone knows it, but it seems like survival games doesnt understand those points very well.
    also are you modeling the models? as I said before I am working on my own survival game, (I dont know if it is going to be done, but I am just having fun devloping it and learning new things) but I dont really know how to model so I probably will make it look like unturned, because I dont have another choise (I know how to model basic things, like guns that look like in unturned)

8. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Thanks for the advice. A few things to clear up... This is no longer going to be an mmo, i am aiming at a single player game with multiplayer capabilities. So PvP will be non-existent sadly :( ... atleast for the time being anyways. Also, yes crafting is going to be a lot more then placing a wall. You will need to drop construction zones for available blueprints, from there you must gather resources to build. This is crafting of buildings and structures. Crafting items that are carry-able will be crafted on a work bench (Proper work bench for the item you want to craft). This is also no longer a "keep your player alive" type game.. Instead, you will be in charge of a population of many characters that you must keep alive, and you can switch between each character respectively. The others will be controlled by AI performing assigned tasks such as gathering, cooking and so on.

Basically this has turned into a RTS game that is controlled from the characters perspective. If another player joins your game, he will take root in one of your characters. I'm also thinking about multiple populations on 1 planet.. This will open the door for PvP.

Among these changes.. I should mention the whole story line / aspect has changed as well. Zombies are no longer part of the fold. Instead... You are a crew of a ship (Still working on the back story) that has crash landed on a planet. This is where you begin. Upon crash landing you begin building and trying to survive. Upon advancements and whatnot you will discover space flight, or possible ship repairs which will allow you to leave the planet. So now you can choose a select few crew members and goto another planet leave the current one behind with the already build population that should be independent and move onto to another planet where you will discover different creatures and species. Idk where this is all leading but the ideas are endless.

9. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Anyways, As I was saying previously.. I was working on JSON importing of items and modding the game and all that good stuff.. Well.. Its now finished and the code for the deserialization is complete!

Users can now drop in custom textures, models, or just a simple edit of json files to customize and add items in game. This will do wonders for additional content. The json for items looks like this:

Code (csharp):
    3. {
    4. "ItemName": "Green Backpack",
    5. "ItemID": "Green Backpack",
    6. "IsPrefab": true,
    7. "ModelName": "backpack",
    8. "TextureName": "",
    9. "Collision": false,
    10. "ColliderSettings": [1.0,1.0,1.0],
    11. "ItemInfo": "Needs to be set",
    12. "InfoHeight": 100,
    13. "ItemType": "Wearable",
    14. "WearModel": "backpack",
    15. "EquipLocation": "Back",
    16. "Icon": "greenbackpack",
    17. "Weight": 1.0,
    18. "IsContainer": true,
    19. "MaxCarryWeight": 20.0,
    20. "CanPickup": true,
    21. "Consumable": false,
    22. "AddThirst": 0,
    23. "AddHunger": 0,
    24. "AddEnergy": 0,
    25. "AddHealth": 0
    26. }
    The game will also come with a text file that explains how to add mods and how to add custom content. Along with how to create blueprints (Craftable items).

This is completely finished now and all items in game are running off of this code, all items are deserailized and referenced at runtime, and items are created from the json files and so on.

Next I will be adding json files for mob species so players can customize different creatures and populations they run into. :)

10. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Just a quick update, I just finished the code for the camera system! Now the camera will no longer go through walls but instead it will bump the wall. Came out pretty good! Take a look:

11. Zahidylin_Marat

Zahidylin_Marat

Hi. Good job. I was doing the same thing for my camera some time ago. Would be interesting compare the code.

12. monsieur_alpha123121

monsieur_alpha123121

This game is still looking great but you seem to spend more time showing us the game than actually making it.

13. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Lolz. Yeah.. I only work on this game for a cpl hours here and there. I'm really busy with work n stuff, so when I get down time like... on lunch break @ work or a few minutes before bed. I go ahead and post!